Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 vs. AP2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone please explain the difference between AP1 and AP2. I had always assumed that the latter was an upgrade (and superior) to the former; however, when I read comments that AP2 is not yet on a parity with AP1 I scratch my head - isn't that backwards?

Can someone please explain the difference between AP1 and AP2. I had always assumed that the latter was an upgrade (and superior) to the former; however, when I read comments that AP2 is not yet on a parity with AP1 I scratch my head - isn't that backwards?

AP2 I see built on new hardware than AP1.

AP1 was built on top of Mobileye. AP2 is "homegrown" Tesla, so they need to get it "up to speed"

AP2 hardware is far superior (8 cameras instead of 1, 32 ft range ultrasonics instead of 16 ft, and CPU 40x more powerful) however the software is still being developed/refined. Even with the latest software update, AP2 only uses 2 out of the 8 cameras. It's going to be a long process. At this point, most people feel AP2 software is nearing parity with AP1 but not quite there yet. But in a year or so AP2 cars will have semi-autonomous features beyond AP1.