TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AP1 vs. AP2

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by aleagle, Apr 15, 2017.

1. aleagle

aleagle Member

Can someone please explain the difference between AP1 and AP2. I had always assumed that the latter was an upgrade (and superior) to the former; however, when I read comments that AP2 is not yet on a parity with AP1 I scratch my head - isn't that backwards?

2. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

AP2 I see built on new hardware than AP1.

AP1 was built on top of Mobileye. AP2 is "homegrown" Tesla, so they need to get it "up to speed"

3. Tam

Tam Active Member

Please merge to:

AP1 vs. AP2

4. commasign

commasign Active Member

AP2 hardware is far superior (8 cameras instead of 1, 32 ft range ultrasonics instead of 16 ft, and CPU 40x more powerful) however the software is still being developed/refined. Even with the latest software update, AP2 only uses 2 out of the 8 cameras. It's going to be a long process. At this point, most people feel AP2 software is nearing parity with AP1 but not quite there yet. But in a year or so AP2 cars will have semi-autonomous features beyond AP1.

5. aleagle

aleagle Member