Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 vs. AP2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ckwong

Mar 15, 2017
NJ
I currently have an AP1 MX90D as a loaner and first time driving an AP1 Tesla and I notice the radar sees multiple cars, trucks, and motorcycles on the center speedometer screen. It even show the car that is closest in blue. Is this only for AP1 cars? My current MX 100D does not have the latest firmware update so I'm not sure if all this show up on that. Thanks!

AP2 seems pretty aware of other vehicles around, but it only shows them on the display when you engage a turn signal. It's not really clear whether or not this is intentional and meant to keep the design cleaner, or if the multi-vehicle tracking isn't accurate enough to display full-time. Last night on a freeway I turned on a left turn signal to move left a lane and it displayed the vehicle in the left lane, but then the image of the vehicle started warping near and close on the display extremely quickly....did that about 4 times before it just stopped tracking it altogether.

In terms of identifying trucks or motorcycles, it's not doing that yet either. Maybe internally it is, but they all look the same on the display.

• Informative
Reactions: ckwong