Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2.0 and today’s presentation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
As a non-engineer, 99% of today’s presentation is over my head but it worries me a lot that all of the references to enhancements are in comparison to HW2.5. Does this seem like a big deal for those of us with 2.0?

I know the topic has been discussed at length here and Elon’s stream of consciousness tweets have been reassuring, but this carefully scripted presentation omits any reference to 2.0.

The comparisons were probably made to AP 2.5, since the AP processor was upgraded from AP 2.0 to 2.5. The difference between AP 2.0 and the new FSD processor will be even greater.

Even though I haven't seen anything official in writing from Tesla about our 2017 S 100D (with AP 2.0) and 2018 X 100D (with AP 2.5), since we purchased FSD before delivery, we should be getting the FSD processor upgrade for free - which should provide the same sensor suite and AP processing as the current AP 3.0 (HW 3.0) hardware that's in production now.

Even though I haven't seen anything official in writing from Tesla about our 2017 S 100D (with AP 2.0) and 2018 X 100D (with AP 2.5), since we purchased FSD before delivery, we should be getting the FSD processor upgrade for free - which should provide the same sensor suite and AP processing as the current AP 3.0 (HW 3.0) hardware that's in production now.
Agree.

but this carefully scripted presentation omits any reference to 2.0.
Because it's completely irrelevant. The only comparison that makes sense to discuss is to the current generation of hardware (2.5).

I really don't understand why people are still scared or confused about this. Tesla has been uncharacteristically clear that FSD purchasers with HW 2.0 get the computer upgrade just like everyone else. Full stop.

There is more difference between AP2.0 and AP2.5 than just the computer. There is a different radar unit, different cameras, and possibly more wiring for redundancy. I am not sure what would be missing if we just upgrade the computer in an AP2.0 car.
And if you do t believe this then you haven’t driven both side by side. My HW2.0 S and my wife’s HW2.5 X are night and day difference in AP smoothness and alertness