Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, by this information, those with AP2 but not AP2+ hardware are going to need a hardware upgrade? ugh..... Is AP2+ the dual GPU that you spoke about in a different thread @verygreen ?
I don't have a sample myself for obvious reasons, but from what I see, once hw2.5 references appeared, additionally references to a dual node (not just gpu) setup have appeared as well at the same time, which does not sound like it's just a pure coincidence to me.

• Love
Reactions: calisnow and BigD0g
I join the big thanks to @verygreen!

Could AP2.5 refer to some new setup/separation of hardware in the dash? Not necessarily (just) a new AP2 computer...

I.e. the rumored new architecture that runs the horizontal screen and possible future HUD? I.e. AP2 suite without the legacy Tegra 2 and S/X screens?

Could AP2.5 refer to some new setup/separation of hardware in the dash? Not necessarily (just) a new AP2 computer...

I.e. the rumored new architecture that runs the horizontal screen and possible future HUD? I.e. AP2 suite without the legacy Tegra 2 and S/X screens?
I don't have the full Model 3 setup, only a partial view via some of the shared code on ape (and some other bits elsewhere).
From it it looks like model 3 still has cid and on there's an "emulated ic" of some sort - probably like a separate window with instrument cluster or some such.
Autopilot is still a separate piece of hardware from the user-facing stuff that controls displays and while autopilot code is shared to a great degree, cid code is not.
As such HW2.5 certainly has nothing to do with a screen placement or HUD or anything like that. It's just the next generation autopilot platform that currently is available for model 3 and possibly some experimental model S/Xes, but might appear as the official option there eventually (once it is admitted by Tesla, I guess).

OK. Good info.

Could there be differences in interfacing or sharing duties with the new CID compared to the old?

I am trying to get a sense of if this AP2.5 is a new APE box coming to current S/X dash too or if it is part of a completely new architecture inside the new dash that also depends on other new parts...

Or are you perhaps suggesting the AP2.5 has even new sensors?

OK. Good info.

Could there be differences in interfacing or sharing duties with the new CID compared to the old?

I am trying to get a sense of if this AP2.5 is a new APE box coming to current S/X dash too or if it is part of a completely new architecture inside the new dash that also depends on other new parts...

Or are you perhaps suggesting the AP2.5 has even new sensors?
There's no sharing duties between CID and ape. CID displays stuff relayed by other parts of the car and sends control commands from user input (like pressing stuff on toucscreen to change suspension height or headlghts, or A/C controls).
HW2.5 is just a different autopilot box, there is a possibility that it might be available for S/X cars because the code checks if it's run on HW2.5 or not and then separately if it's run on model 3, so it's not just model 3 that might have it.
Again APE has absolutely nothing to do with dash or anything user-facing (other that telling the user facing components what to display wrt speed limits detected, cars detected and such).

I get that @verygreen. I was more trying to understand if AP2.5 is also a different architecture regarding other components or if it is just a new APE box only with 100% the same connectors and sensors etc. as AP2.

Is AP2.5 a plug and play replacement only for AP2 APE or is it more?

I get that @verygreen. I was more trying to understand if AP2.5 is also a different architecture regarding other components or if it is just a new APE box only with 100% the same connectors and sensors etc. as AP2.

Is AP2.5 a plug and play replacement only for AP2 APE or is it more?
sensors are external to APE, but the code that inits them is mostly the same (but not exactly).
Model 3 has a different connection backup camera obviously, but even for non model 3 HW2.5 backup camera is connected differently.

I don't have the physical device and the code for ape we have does not contain all of the hw2.5 components, as such I don't know if it's really a drop-in replacement or not, but given the pictures we saw of somebody's desk with a presumably hw2.5 device, it looks to be a drop-in replacement.

sensors are external to APE, but the code that inits them is mostly the same (but not exactly).
Model 3 has a different connection backup camera obviously, but even for non model 3 HW2.5 backup camera is connected differently.

I don't have the physical device and the code for ape we have does not contain all of the hw2.5 components, as such I don't know if it's really a drop-in replacement or not, but given the pictures we saw of somebody's desk with a presumably hw2.5 device, it looks to be a drop-in replacement.

Thanks!

How is the backup camera connected differently on HW2.5?

I guess you mean this photo:

17125577_288059814957556_1767574227092766720_n.jpg

Inside the NVIDIA PX2 board on my HW2 AP2.0 Model S (with Pics!)

Indeed the connectors are different to the AP2 board...

img_0590-jpg.227896

Interesting... I just noticed that the side repeater cameras have been revised recently.

From Oct. '16 until around May/June '17 (Model X):
1034345-99-A

July '17 (Model X):
1034345-20-B
"Korea use only 20-B or newer, for other countries ok to use 01-B or newer".

@verygreen do you see any traces of this in the SW?
Don't see anything readily apparent about this, but the camera init code is getting bigger and I don't feel like going through all of it.
Part of that is the different model 3 code, but that's mostly a turn off switch, so the rest must be for the other cases.

Don't see anything readily apparent about this, but the camera init code is getting bigger and I don't feel like going through all of it.
Part of that is the different model 3 code, but that's mostly a turn off switch, so the rest must be for the other cases.

Are you able to evaluate the code against any upcoming features that aren't currently enabled? (I.e. Additional cameras, vehicles displayed on CID, intelligent lane changes, etc?)

Any other interesting tidbits in recent releases other than mention of model 3 or ap2.5?

Are you able to evaluate the code against any upcoming features that aren't currently enabled? (I.e. Additional cameras, vehicles displayed on CID, intelligent lane changes, etc?)

Any other interesting tidbits in recent releases other than mention of model 3 or ap2.5?
the cars are displayed by ic on signal from ap.
Most of new stuff once it appears is immediately available. notable exception is maps which is almost there, but not fully enabled yet. It is coming, though.
There's a driver monitor process, but I imagine that's just separating the old code from some other component (people do report that detection of hands on the steering wheel is better now, though).

I am sure if you really go through all the code, you can find a lot more details about stuff not yet enabled, but to tell you the truth it's really tedious ;)
All the good stuff is not part of the production image anyway :(

the cars are displayed by ic on signal from ap.

My own guess just based on driving is that the AP software just isn't sending the vehicles in other lanes to the IC yet, but can see them.

I believe this because when you initiate an auto lane change and there is a car near you in the lane you're going to, cars in both lanes are temporarily shown, and this happens instantly when you initiate the turn signal.

Another clue is that if you manually change lanes, it temporarily shows both cars, and if you change lanes yourself very quickly (somewhat uncomfortably), it picks up the cars really fast again.

So my belief is that the AP unit can "see" the cars and even has an idea of what lane they're in because they do show up when you initiate the auto lane change. However, I believe the logic/code to send this to the IC just isn't on or there. So I expect this is not a hard thing to add, they just haven't done it yet.

Reactions: Sterph
i suspect @mitchellh3 is essentially correct.

However I think Tesla are not showing anything more than necessary on the IC as they are still working on clutter and detection reliablilty.
There would be a howl ot protest from the userbase, probably me included, if there were cars jumping all over the place and others not detected.

In turn this suggests that Tesla are still not at parity in some ways even if 17.28.c528869 appears now to be as usable as AP1 in most other respects, however they may well be now ahead of AP1 in other ways we cannot discern.

One of the early AP2 releases showed stop signs in the IC - this quickly disappeared. Can't imagine that they would build that and not use it, IMO evidence of a second, more feature-rich development stream.

That reminds me ... @verygreen have you found the ap image library? Anything interesting in there?

Reactions: lunitiks