Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nobody disputes that deaths will occur eventually. Nobody is saying that to my knowledge. I am only saying the optics matter tremendously. This nascent technology is fragile, and was allowed to be deployed unencumberedbecause society as a whole knows how dangerous driving is..... People's willingness to tolerate driverless cars on the road will change dramatically if the a company like Uber has gone too far... which they have at least 4 times in testing. Am I saying Uber killed someone? Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. I can't be any more clear. We aren't talking about the University of Chicago School of Medicine with a long history of rigorous research.... how many of us think that Volvo would have employed a felon with a history of speeding tickets and traffic violations? If we are sticking with the medical analogy, Uber's past hubris and aggressive reputation will be viewed as incredible negligence... and the argument I'm making is that this event makes all of us cringe because of how much is on the table. Everyone should be pissed at Uber for this. They have single handedly created a tipping point in the trajectory of the speed of development of this critical technology.

• Helpful
Reactions: jimmy_d
One can debate whether more oversight should be made for all manufacturers of autonomous driving systems. Government oversight will slow this development to a crawl and in my opinion cost many more lives in the long run.

I'm willing to let good intentioned treatments be tried for the cure.
Well, I believe we have regulated pharma, and medical research for a reason. Consent is the keyword. What we did 50-100 years ago we learned from. WW2 also was an eyeopener.

Question, do you also think we should deregulate pharma, so that "good intentioned treatments" can flourish, and patients and others can participate in experiments without their knowledge?

Well, I believe we have regulated pharma, and medical research for a reason. Consent is the keyword. What we did 50-100 years ago we learned from. WW2 also was an eyeopener.

Question, do you also think we should deregulate pharma, so that "good intentioned treatments" can flourish, and patients and others can participate in experiments without their knowledge?

Question: can you tell us what the link is between your post and the capabiities and limitations of the AP2.0 cameras?

Reactions: Joerg
Question: can you tell us what the link is between your post and the capabiities and limitations of the AP2.0 cameras?
You do not see the link between killing an innocent while experimenting with sensor suites for autonomous driving and other potential lethal research projects?
But agree the whole Tempe discussion could very well be moved from here to the other thread.

Traffic lights can be done from the relative position of the illuminated lamp in the traffic light assembly. No color required.
In fact iirc Mobileye showed they could do this.
However this is one particular case where a mis-identification would almost guarantee a serious outcome, hence no suprise Tesla didn't implement it.

So I know this is a really late bump to an old thread, but horizontal traffic lights can't necessarily be identified by position, and neither can single flashing lights. And a camera that can only detect red light might have a hard time determining if a single flashing light is red or yellow, because both contain a decent amount of red light — probably enough to saturate the sensor.

It's also worth noting that Waymo's camera system is color, and I suspect this is one of the major reasons why. There are just too many corner cases where color matters.

Am I missing something?

• Informative
Reactions: daud
Got to like this article: Tesla engineering car leaked picture shows what Autopilot sees live with settings for ‘Full Self-Driving’

8m4QtGw.jpg

penultimate
Ah, looks like there is even another option underneath 'Club Rewarding' that I didn't notice (interesting, do we get a Tesla Club and if so how can we join ? :)).

As this is the screen for Autopilot Settings in half screen mode we are probably only seeing half of it, and you can scroll down to see more options and likely the augmented images of the other camera's as well.

Here's the exact spot in Google Street View where the car was: Google Maps

What I noticed is that the street doesn't have any lane-markings, yet the photographed screen display shows the car's software inferred a driving lane marked by the red overlay lines on the screen - interesting.

AP2 has been able to plot a drivable path without any lane markings on and off for various builds since 17.11.3. 2017.50.3 was the best so far, particularly with a lead car. 2018.12 cannot do it. 2018.10.4 did an ok job only with lead car. Some did it just fine without a lead car but couldn't navigate properly marked lanes. Go figure?

Sonar is much improved since 10.4. I think they are finally using the increased range of the improved ultrasonic sensors in hw2.

I agree. The detection distance almost doubled -- not great but definitely improved.

Note that when AP2 first shipped back in like the 17.4 ish days, the ultrasonic range was also fairly long, but it would frequently false positive on rough road surfaces. I had a feeling they dialed back sensitivity because of that.

These days, though, it's both long range and also pretty rarely falses.