Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I found that striking too. Mobileye’s setup appears to be the same — 8 cameras for driving — except Tesla is using ultrasonics instead of parking cameras.

The three forward-facing cameras behind the windshield are the same: there’s a main, narrow, and wide.

6djkW3rr.jpg

Although Mobileye also uses Valeo lidars and possibly more than one radar (not sure, but multiple radars wouldn’t be surprising).

I found that striking too. Mobileye’s setup appears to be the same — 8 cameras for driving — except Tesla is using ultrasonics instead of parking cameras.

Not surprising really given how Tesla was privy to MobilEye’s direction through their collaboration and initial Autopilot 2 board was even slated to have a MobilEye chip on it. I would not be surprised if seeing where MobilEye was and was going emboldened Musk to go all in with Autopilot 2 hardware setup already back in 2016. Tesla was slated to launch expanded MobilEye setup in 2015 with Model X too but chose not to.

They are not identical though the 8 driving cameras. Notable differences exist in several blindspot areas for Tesla. In MobilEye’s setup B pillar and rear cameras are placed higher on the roof to facilitate better seeing over obstacles and for the rear camera importantly a less dirt reaching position. Everyone who actually owns a Tesla knows how much dirt the rear camera gathers.

Notable Tesla also tried this location in their initial Model X renderings that had one rear camera over rear window and two front cameras in windshield with MobilEye collaboration.

Back to MobilEye today. Perhaps most important their parking wide cameras total of 12 cameras offer views of nose corner areas where Autopilot 2 is relying solely on ultrasonics whilst adding useful views towards the rear as well. I am curious to see how Tesla will solve these closeup situations where their vision is limited or not seeing.

Certainly MobilEye adds lidars and radars for redundancy as said but their goal is indeed to be able to drive solely on vision too and for that they seem to use 12 cameras in that setup.

Model X with top rear camera this is from the original Tesla press kit that also showed the dual front cameras back in 2015:

TESLA-MOTORS-Model-X-5570_3.jpg

Last edited:
Not surprising really given how Tesla was privy to MobilEye’s direction through their collaboration and initial Autopilot 2 board was even slated to have a MobilEye chip on it. I would not be surprised if seeing where MobilEye was and was going emboldened Musk to go all in with Autopilot 2 hardware setup already back in 2016. Tesla was slated to launch expanded MobilEye setup in 2d 015 with Model X too but chose not to.

Why are you continuing your baseless spin for Mobileye here? Do you have any stakes in the company? (Disclosure I'm a Tesla car owner and stock holder). If Tesla got the idea from Mobileye and had the product out two years ago while Mobilieye is only talking about it what kind of company you think Mobileye is?

Last edited:
Why are you continuing your baseless spin for Mobileye here? Do you have any stakes in the company? (Disclosure I'm a Tesla car owner and stock holder). If Tesla got the idea from Mobileye and had the product released two years ago while Mobilieye is only taking about it what kind of company you think Mobileye is?

No stakes in any company in this field at all but I do sincerely believe Waymo is leading and MobilEye is the likely second in Autonomous Vehicles the topic of this forum right?

As for what MobilEye was working on in 2016 we can just agree to disagree no need to debate something we can’t solve. :)

No stakes in any company in this field at all but I do sincerely believe Waymo is leading and MobilEye is the likely second in Autonomous Vehicles the topic of this forum right?

Waymo is leading in specialized/restricted autonomous driving. Tesla is the only company that even has a shot at generalized autonomous driving at this moment. Mobileye does not even have a foot in the arena even though it has been a leader in driver assistance. The two are very different technologies. You can't just improve from level 2 to 3, 4 and eventually reaches full autonomy. Nothing more than just a wishful thinking.

As for what MobilEye was working on in 2016 we can just agree to disagree no need to debate something we can’t solve. :)

Not just 2016 but Tesla had designed the system long before that. Unless if you have at least some evidence that something has happened then it did not happen.

Not just 2016 but Tesla had designed the system long before that. Unless if you have at least some evidence that something has happened then it did not happen.

Yes I am of the view that MobilEye designed this setup first. There is no need to take it any further as your opposing view is clear.

First meaning before Tesla in this case not necessarily first in the world of course.

PSA: Threads on Gradient Descent will never be derailed by repetitive debates about Mobileye. There is careful moderation to prevent trolling and sockpuppeting. The forum guidelines are kindness, open-mindedness, and advancing the discussion from a technical perspective. Oh, and jimmy_d has mod powers. :D

I actually went looking there and was considering whether to join but this post of yours just made my decision easy. I would not want to go to a place that is moderated by someone with such a strong opinion as you have just displayed. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bladerskb
Again Tesla had the product out two years ago but Mobileye is only just talking about the same set up. Your speculation is way out of logic unless if Mobileye is so incompetent.

My view is based on my understanding of the roadmaps of these products which apparently differs from yours. Tesla does bring hardware faster to market than others that is of course known as they just ship the logic later but that does not equate to who came up with the idea or setup first — the who copied who question is separate from market launch...

I am perfectly fine with you disagreeing on who came up with the idea first. Just explaining my view. In this case Tesla was privy to MobilEye’s plans and vice versa to an extent and our views on what transpired just differ. :)

I’ve seen all of these, I think... Is there one where the car drives directly into bright sunlight?
I had some pictures of a traffic light in front of the sun. I took some more today in case those are lost somewhere ;) You cannot look at them all that well in the videos due to all the dynamic-range destroying compression.

Why are you continuing your baseless spin for Mobileye here? Do you have any stakes in the company? (Disclosure I'm a Tesla car owner and stock holder). If Tesla got the idea from Mobileye and had the product out two years ago while Mobilieye is only talking about it what kind of company you think Mobileye is?

Do you have any shame? Like you literally say anything that comes to your mind without doing any research? Mobileye was pitching its trifocal camera and 8 camera config all through out 2014 and 2015 to multiple companies. Saying that mobileye is using Tesla config is 100% incorrect.

• Disagree
Reactions: SucreTease
Do you have any shame? Like you literally say anything that comes to your mind without doing any research? Mobileye was pitching its trifocal camera and 8 camera config all through out 2014 and 2015 to multiple companies. Saying that mobileye is using Tesla config is 100% incorrect.

Would be nice if you could provide some evidence to prove that or it's just your same-o shameless spin for Mobileye.

Reactions: SucreTease