TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

AP2.0 hardware also upgrades console SoC?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by kmob07, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kmob07

kmob07 Member

I believe that Tesla Model S uses an nVidia Tegra SoC (I believe the Tegra K) for the main console computer. At this point the performance of the Tegra K is a little long in the tooth.

Does anyone know if the AP2 upgrade to the nVidia PX2 platform has any impact on the center console performance? Or if the autopilot PX2 system is entirely independent system from the entertainment / console?

2. xborg

xborg Member

Rumors are they've upgraded the console units, and improved the hands off detection. If not now, it's coming in a few months.

3. JPP

JPP Active Member

But rumors also suggest that the new Tesla Vision hardware is completely separate from the MCU/touchscreen system. It does not mean that Tesla has not also gone ahead and upgraded that nVidia chip.

• Like x 1
  4. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

The AP system, both the NVida and MobileEye based ones, are completely separate from the CID. I am sure if they upgrade the CID computer we would have heard about it. (But it is possible that they silently snuck an upgrade in.)

5. xborg

xborg Member

Yes they are seperate. And yes, it will be a silent upgrade, like before they did for instrument cluster.

6. RocketGoBoom

RocketGoBoom Member

The car has been in production for about 4 years.

Isn't it likely that the original chips are no longer even in production? Odds are there are lots of parts that are upgraded over time without a formal announcement.

7. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

What do you mean by "improved the hands off detection"?

8. xborg

xborg Member

A sensor that actually detects if your hand is off the wheel, instead of guessing.

9. xborg

xborg Member

Speaking of rumors, I've also heard that new suspension option is coming(with 8 years warranty). Active pothole detection maybe?

10. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Damnit. That's what I thought you meant. So much for water bottles and velcro...