Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2.0 next firmware release???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have about an hour total of driving time with AP 2.0 engaged. In that time, I have experienced several concerning/dangerous glitches. I am surprised that there is no official way to report bugs during this beta period. I love the tech and I want to help get it ready by letting them know when the AP behaves really badly.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias and juice15e
What odd is that I have an AP1 vehicle and mine has gotten squirrelly after the update. I'm seeing odd behavior and the lines that autopilot "sees" are jittery now. Bizarre. Wonder if they are treating the mobileye camera like the tesla vision one and trying to somehow match the firmware.

I have about an hour total of driving time with AP 2.0 engaged. In that time, I have experienced several concerning/dangerous glitches. I am surprised that there is no official way to report bugs during this beta period. I love the tech and I want to help get it ready by letting them know when the AP behaves really badly.
You can email [email protected] with what you observed and relevant information about when/where etc. I emailed them about the motorcycle icon missing (vehicle in front was a cycle, and the TACC worked properly detecting the cycle, but no icon was displayed). They responded back thanking me for the feedback and saying it had been forwarded to the appropriate team.

• Informative
Reactions: daviddc and RacerX
My guess another month at earliest, but maybe never. Purely a guess. WE are now in February so I can officially start bitching about Tesla's lies even more than I already have and am free to do so without guilt. I am now absolutely pissed at Tesla for their poor execution and overpriced cheaply assembled car that lacks the features I was promised.

No I don't want them to rush it; I wanted them to have a solid 6 months of real-world testing done before they started selling this vaporware. Tesla is now gambling with people's lives, and I'm not impressed.

Reactions: daviddc and kavyboy
You can email [email protected] with what you observed and relevant information about when/where etc. I emailed them about the motorcycle icon missing (vehicle in front was a cycle, and the TACC worked properly detecting the cycle, but no icon was displayed). They responded back thanking me for the feedback and saying it had been forwarded to the appropriate team.

Thank you. That's helpful.

I also think it would be great if Tesla added a feature on the screen that recorded timestamp and location anytime you takeover for AP. When you park, you could review the list, add comments, then submit to Tesla.

No I don't want them to rush it; I wanted them to have a solid 6 months of real-world testing done before they started selling this vaporware. Tesla is now gambling with people's lives, and I'm not impressed.

Bingo. I'm tired of this false dichotomy where when we ask for features advertised to be delivered consistent with the guidelines, someone rebuts "would you rather die and have them rush it?"

I just wish Tesla were more direct about giving realistic ETAs to temper expectations and allow us to make informed decisions, not give overly optimistic ETAs that only lead to disappointment and feelings of betrayal.

Like don't get me wrong, I love Tesla and their products, and I think AP2 will inevitably eclipse AP1. It's just I have no idea when that would be, given how things are now.

we were 1 of the 1st 1000 and yet our S was in the shop 99% of the time for our 1st month of ownership (story for another day). So for after temporarily getting it back, & for the 2nd time, we tried to activate AP on the local 5 fwy north bound. Gee ... that sure was fun, being steered right off the 5 freeway at Culver Drive, north of the 405 interchange. Guess that's what we get for driving 30mph in gridlock in the slow lane. (sigh) we have a 2 month old car .... 200 miles on it ... and 90% of the miles are driving to and form the shop, and screwing with AP2.
:confused:

Nothing is working on my AP2, not even cruise control. I am starting to become fed up with this AP2 B.S. I was expecting some functionality in December, and now we're in February, and I still have a car with less safety features than a Hyundai.

Not saying you are wrong on what you want. I will say however, that given how autopilot's learning works I am not sure there is any other way to build a usable product than shipping hardware in a fleet and letting it learn in shadow mode on a bunch of customer cars. You'll recall it was 12 full months after Tesla began shipping AP 1.0 hardware in cars (October 2014) before the system turned on at all (October 2015) - and it was more months before it got to the rock solid steering stability it has now.

In comparison AP 2.0 seems to be improving much more rapidly.

Also not sure they could have had 6 months of real world testing except via customer cars doing fleet learning on AP 2.0. WRT Mobileye - Tesla had a canned vision system. But with Tesla Vision in AP 2.0 they started from scratch with nvidia as far as we know (and based on what we know about the Nvidia approach it is unsupervised learning conducted on a massive supercomputer with no human image annotation - whereas Mobileye uses curated images and a huge team of people annotating images - building vision in sub-components (see numerous videos online about Mobileye's process). Tesla added "secret sauce" to Mobileye's system but we will never know just how much customization they did.

Mobileye's license expired with AP 1.0. So with 2.0 Tesla could, I suppose, have shipped cars with no autopilot charge while the fleet did 6 months of learning - oh wait - they did. They gave you a $1,000 discount if you pre-paid autopilot. And now - as expected - they are improving it step by step and quite quickly.

Still - it is kind of fun having a stable AP 1.0 while other people do the bulk of the beta testing for me before I get a 2.0 car. Hee hee hee.

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

I'm enjoying the cr*p out of driving my MS with my own 2 hands, eyes and feet. I apologize if that's too old school for this forum.

I think most Hw2 owners enjoy driving their cars. The frustration is been sold and paying for a feature that was promised in Dec that is likely a year away from operating as described on the sales site. I agree Tesla should be more forthcoming with realistic dates so people make informed purchase decisions. Still, I love my car...a lot.