Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2.0 Owner - Wait for Sentry Mode or Hardwire Blackvue Dashcam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per the thread title. On my old car (R32 Skyline GT-R) I had a 2ch front+rear Blackvue 650 dashcam that was hardwired to a powermagic pro, thereby enabling automated parking mode recording with low voltage preemptive shut-off.

I've been keeping that camera in a box, along with the applicable wiring to wire it up to that spare power plug in the headliner by the microphone. I put the whole project on hold as soon as Elon infamously tweeted that sentry mode would be coming to "AP2+" vehicles.

It's all become widely known now that Sentry Mode in "feature complete" format is only for 2.5+, and that 2.0's version is a strange cloud based implementation with no easy way to request or obtain recordings and no possible way to record locally.

Question(s):

What is the likelihood of getting full featured Sentry mode on an AP2.0 car? Should I just give up and wire it up to the headliner plug?

My other concern is about 12v battery longevity, with many recent threads stating it's been a problem since you're increasing the load on an already challenged (continually drained/recharged 12v battery). What's the final verdict on hardwiring a dashcam to the microphone plug socket to run continuously (is this bad for the battery?)?

I have that exact dash cam, hardwired to the lift gate supply in the trunk ( I run it backwards, main camera pointing back, small camera up front) which is always on with no power magic pro. I've had no 12V battery issues on my AP2 2017 S.

Personally I'd just wire up the dash cam, waiting on Tesla Time for proposed features is not as good as having dash cams recording now.

I have that exact dash cam, hardwired to the lift gate supply in the trunk ( I run it backwards, main camera pointing back, small camera up front) which is always on with no power magic pro. I've had no 12V battery issues on my AP2 2017 S.

Personally I'd just wire up the dash cam, waiting on Tesla Time for proposed features is not as good as having dash cams recording now.

About how long would you say you've been running your setup now? Also that's a really interesting concept for swapping the front and rear units. Any reason or just personal pref?

Sentry mode for 2.0 is inside the 19.12 firmware. However, it doesn't store any footage locally, so you'll need to work with tesla if you ever want to see your footage.

I have dual blackvue's installed for 360 coverage, I have no real need for sentry mode though.

About how long would you say you've been running your setup now? Also that's a really interesting concept for swapping the front and rear units. Any reason or just personal pref?

I've been running it since I got the car in July 2017. I actually run two separate dashcams, so the "rear channel" of the 650 I have mounted on the rear of the back panel of the pano roof facing forward as an interior camera. It is very small and discreet, can see the drivers display and mcu, and has the parking mode recording so if someone was in the car it would capture them.

Then I have an independent forward dashcam for the front. I was in an accident in my Nissan Leaf that ended up being a he said she said where I believe I was 100% in the right, so I may have went overboard in trying to protect my self in the future :)

I have Thinkware F800 installed and although I will turn on Sentry Mode when in car parks or busy areas I would still rely on my own cameras for driving etc. Can’t have enough cameras these days and definitely helps should an issue occur. A small expense compared to what might have to be paid out when others decide to hit/damage our cars

...Should I just give up and wire it up to the headliner plug?...

Sentry Mode / Tesla Cam do not have audio recordings. Tesla makes all kinds of noises which will be useful to decipher different functions emitting their audio cues.

I would go ahead and install an audio/video dash cam even if your Sentry Mode / Tesla Cam work.

Sentry Mode / Tesla Cam do consume more energy from your 12V battery so I wouldn't worry about your own dash cam.

If you worry about 24/7 energy consumption from your dash cam, then just plug it in cigarette socket so it can automatically turn off.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
If you bought FSD they will retrofit HW3 this autumn / winter, and possibly replace cameras / radar too. So then you will get it for sure.

Wow that's a lot of disagrees for something pretty straight forwards.

I'm not sure what they're disagreeing with.

The OP has FSD, and is thereby entitled to the HW3 upgrade. That upgrade is expected to occur this year likely in the 4th quarter.

It might or might not include a sensor swap.

A sensor swap could make it more useful to give some color info, but it's not absolutely necessary for Sentry mode.

HW3 has to include Sentry Mode, and I doubt they'll only have it work for cars that came from HW2.5.

Now with all that being said I think the OP might as well install the dashcam. It likely gives a much better image quality (especially if Tesla doesn't swap the cameras), and in the future the Sentry mode will allow views from other angles to be captured.

@Blitz3RS Following X delivery I had a 650 BlackVue installed during my XPel wrap. Spring '17.
Have not regretted it since & have caught several driver's incidents on it. Which I later switched it out easily & upgraded to the 750 BV. An insurance claim on a recent run away deer... and the camera paid for itself. No hassle claim. You get something like that on video, and you get an instant huddle from the adjuster & body shop.
I too thought my AP 2.0 car would obsolete my BV camera... now, who knows.

Take the path that gives you peace of mind, and install the 650 or similar camera. It's worth it.

-TechVP

Wow that's a lot of disagrees for something pretty straight forwards.

I'm not sure what they're disagreeing with.

Indeed...

So hey @r0xx0r, @georgewyull, @Art_Vandelay, @dethman: Why do you disagree?

The OP has FSD, and is thereby entitled to the HW3 upgrade. That upgrade is expected to occur this year likely in the 4th quarter.

It might or might not include a sensor swap.

A sensor swap could make it more useful to give some color info, but it's not absolutely necessary for Sentry mode.

HW3 has to include Sentry Mode, and I doubt they'll only have it work for cars that came from HW2.5.

Now with all that being said I think the OP might as well install the dashcam. It likely gives a much better image quality (especially if Tesla doesn't swap the cameras), and in the future the Sentry mode will allow views from other angles to be captured.

Yeah it's not like HW3 will remove sentry mode. LOL :)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful discussion and inputs! I am a paid-in FSD guy so we'll see how that goes if the newly dubbed (per Elon's Tweet) "FSD Computer" will help out with getting any features missed from not having HW2.5.

@arcus thanks for that guide/link to that blog. I think that was actually one of the resources I used awhile back to prepare the tap that will plug into the mic/headliner's free power source.

Reactions: arcus
Per the thread title. On my old car (R32 Skyline GT-R) I had a 2ch front+rear Blackvue 650 dashcam that was hardwired to a powermagic pro, thereby enabling automated parking mode recording with low voltage preemptive shut-off.

I've been keeping that camera in a box, along with the applicable wiring to wire it up to that spare power plug in the headliner by the microphone. I put the whole project on hold as soon as Elon infamously tweeted that sentry mode would be coming to "AP2+" vehicles.

It's all become widely known now that Sentry Mode in "feature complete" format is only for 2.5+, and that 2.0's version is a strange cloud based implementation with no easy way to request or obtain recordings and no possible way to record locally.

Question(s):

What is the likelihood of getting full featured Sentry mode on an AP2.0 car? Should I just give up and wire it up to the headliner plug?

My other concern is about 12v battery longevity, with many recent threads stating it's been a problem since you're increasing the load on an already challenged (continually drained/recharged 12v battery). What's the final verdict on hardwiring a dashcam to the microphone plug socket to run continuously (is this bad for the battery?)?

I put in the 4K version of the Blackvue, 800 series I think.

It sips power, that shouldn’t be a concern. Mine is hardwired. It wasn’t difficult to install. Before actually installing I was concerned about running the wire from the front to the back for the rear camera. I found there is space under the glass roof, the trim leaves a gap in which I was able to to drop in the wire.

I’d put in the camera even if the Sentry mode comes. You don’t want the Powermagic unit with the Tesla. It’s been a while, I’ve forgotten exactly why but it is counterproductive.

Sentry mode for 2.0 is inside the 19.12 firmware. However, it doesn't store any footage locally,
so you'll need to work with tesla if you ever want to see your footage.

I have dual blackvue's installed for 360 coverage, I have no real need for sentry mode though.

I wonder where you put your side cameras? I just guess on the rear triangle panel?

I'd like to put two side cameras as much as possible toward the front of the car.

In particular, I would like to redirect the output to a small dashboard display (I have a BlackVue Rear View Display Kit),

so I could see the traffic coming from my left when exiting my car garage.

I wonder where you put your side cameras? I just guess on the rear triangle panel?

I'd like to put two side cameras as much as possible toward the front of the car.

In particular, I would like to redirect the output to a small dashboard display (I have a BlackVue Rear View Display Kit),

so I could see the traffic coming from my left when exiting my car garage.

I placed them in the back passenger side windows.

image.jpg