Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2.0 video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: Gizmotoy
2:26 - driving in the wrong direction.

MEGAFAILURE!
Hmm...exaggerate much?

You are referring to the point when the car made a right turn into the parking lot in front of Tesla HQ. The road it turned into is only two-way for a very short stretch and then it becomes one way (look at the arrows on the pavement as shown in the drone view). The video does not show the car when it is in that very short section of two-way road.

Not according to the SAE. See the SAE definitions at http://www.sae.org/misc/pdfs/automated_driving.pdf
It's not noted in the table. I was mainly referencing coverage essentially everywhere that states one of the defining differences between Level 4 and Level 5 is that to drive home that 5 must be able to handle any and all conditions, it should have no way for a human to intervene. Google and others have noted in the press they want to go to Level 5, and was angry that CA made them put a steering wheel in their Koala Cars, limiting them to Level 4.

Wouldn't be the first time the media misunderstood and got things wrong, though. I'd look for myself, but I don't care enough to spend $75 on the specification.

Edit: Ooo, if you register as an engineer in the industry, I found a link that makes the 2016 version of the spec free. Full 2014 version is still $75, but...

So you're right. The spec says only that the vehicle must be able to handle every condition that may be encountered. The human can drive, but the vehicle must be able to immediately take over at any time requested to do so by the driver.

So ignore about 80% of the press that says Level 5 means no steering wheel. :rolleyes:

Interesting quote from the spec:
"Driver/dispatcher (while the ADS is not engaged) becomes a passenger when the ADS is engaged only if physically present in the vehicle."
I found it a touch humorous that we're so close to splitting hairs about who technically qualifies as a driver and passenger, and that someone directing the car isn't necessarily a passenger because they might not even be in the vehicle.
:D

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DIL
Hmm...exaggerate much?

You are referring to the point when the car made a right turn into the parking lot in front of Tesla HQ. The road it turned into is only two-way for a very short stretch and then it becomes one way (look at the arrows on the pavement as shown in the drone view). The video does not show the car when it is in that very short section of two-way road.

I loved the video and what Tesla did, but I do think the entry and exit at the parking loop looked a little odd (not a mega failure for sure). At ~2:25 mark entering the parking loop, from the cam angle inside the car, it sure looks to me that the car drove over the "Stop" painted in the opposite side of the road, you can clearly see the yellow stripe in the middle of the road through the passenger window, on the right side of the car. Also at ~3:07 when the car was exiting, it did cut across the yellow middle line for a long stretch of the turn.

I do wonder, however, how the Tesla AI learned to do these 2 things. Is it possible that the car learned from shadowing Tesla employees driving in and out of that loop daily? Is it possible this is what most of those human drivers did in this particular parking lot?

I do wonder, however, how the Tesla AI learned to do these 2 things. Is it possible that the car learned from shadowing Tesla employees driving in and out of that loop daily? Is it possible this is what most of those human drivers did in this particular parking lot?

I think you nailed it there. That is probably exactly what most people do. Maybe someone can go hang out there and take some video for us! :)

Of course. That is likely, it's just the way a human would drive through that turn. . The "Tesla Vision" neural net software learns over time.

Of course. That is likely, it's just the way a human would drive through that turn. . The "Tesla Vision" neural net software learns over time.

Would Tesla's AI learn and separate good human driving from bad human driving over time? If you buy a Tesla but not buy the AP2 features, would the car just silently judge you? or worse, keep nagging you on how badly you're driving, and that you should have paid for the AP features?

• Funny
Reactions: plankeye
It's not noted in the table. I was mainly referencing coverage essentially everywhere that states one of the defining differences between Level 4 and Level 5 is that to drive home that 5 must be able to handle any and all conditions, it should have no way for a human to intervene. Google and others have noted in the press they want to go to Level 5, and was angry that CA made them put a steering wheel in their Koala Cars, limiting them to Level 4.

Tesla states that the full driving capability is "enabling full self-diving in allmost all circumstances...".

"Almost all" =/= "All".

So I guess AP 2.0 is actually level 4 autonomous driving.