Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 / 8.1 : "Cruise Not Available"-AP intermittently not working in 17.11.{3,10} versions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I went out for lunch today and all my auto pilot features had returned for both the drive to and from lunch. At the end of the day however, I went out to my car and the features have disappeared again... "cruise not available" curses....

My car is in the SC now. ECU will be replaced... after some queries it seems to be related to a bad connector. That would explain the on/off that I have been experiencing. Car has been updated in the SC to 17.14.23. Fingers crossed, hope that I can pick it up today....
AP1 on loaner feels very robust! No wavy lines at all.

My car is in the SC now. ECU will be replaced... after some queries it seems to be related to a bad connector. That would explain the on/off that I have been experiencing. Car has been updated in the SC to 17.14.23. Fingers crossed, hope that I can pick it up today....
AP1 on loaner feels very robust! No wavy lines at all.

I'm not sure how a bad connector has only appeared with the release of 8.1, unless it's for the second front facing camera that was turned on (and Tesla hasn't written any fallback to one camera into the firmware). Seems questionable to me. That said, can't wait to hear if it resolves the issue.

I'm not sure how a bad connector has only appeared with the release of 8.1, unless it's for the second front facing camera that was turned on (and Tesla hasn't written any fallback to one camera into the firmware). Seems questionable to me. That said, can't wait to hear if it resolves the issue.

I'd expect a faulty connection to cause AP to randomly drop out mid-drive but in my experience it either works flawlessly shortly after starting a drive or doesn't appear at all. Having said that replacing the ECU may well solve the issue. If it does then does that mean there is a hardware fault in some ECUs that hasn't been apparent until the 8.1 update? Perhaps the second camera has changed the function of the ECU such that the issue now presents itself. Maybe a firmware upgrade can overcome this, I really don't know.

I'm out of the country for 10 days from this weekend. I'm hoping this all blows over by the time I return!

I'd expect a faulty connection to cause AP to randomly drop out mid-drive but in my experience it either works flawlessly shortly after starting a drive or doesn't appear at all. Having said that replacing the ECU may well solve the issue. If it does then does that mean there is a hardware fault in some ECUs that hasn't been apparent until the 8.1 update? Perhaps the second camera has changed the function of the ECU such that the issue now presents itself. Maybe a firmware upgrade can overcome this, I really don't know.

I'm out of the country for 10 days from this weekend. I'm hoping this all blows over by the time I return!

Same here, it's either on for the whole drive or not at all, and for me it's generally the first drive of the day when it appears (although only one day in five).

Today I received a call from the SC that they checked everything and that the hardware is fine. Not mentioning a bad connector anymore. They now state that it is a software bug and that I need to wait to see if new firmware will resolve it. So tomorrow I can pick up my car without any improvements... Quite disappointing.

But makes more sense when I read all other experiences in this thread. I have the same experience either it works or it works not at all. But last weeks it was not working at all. 17.11.3 changed that. Since the it was working always during two weeks. After that it stopped and never came back. During last weekend I noticed something strange however. It suddenly recognized a car driving in front of me?? Of course this could not have been possible if my ECU was not working at all.

Today I received a call from the SC that they checked everything and that the hardware is fine. Not mentioning a bad connector anymore. They now state that it is a software bug and that I need to wait to see if new firmware will resolve it. So tomorrow I can pick up my car without any improvements... Quite disappointing.

But makes more sense when I read all other experiences in this thread. I have the same experience either it works or it works not at all. But last weeks it was not working at all. 17.11.3 changed that. Since the it was working always during two weeks. After that it stopped and never came back. During last weekend I noticed something strange however. It suddenly recognized a car driving in front of me?? Of course this could not have been possible if my ECU was not working at all.

That's too bad. Although the ECU replacement didn't make sense to me given the symptoms, I was hoping for the best. Very surprising we're three weeks into this and no solution.

I just wanted to follow up: The issue that I was having (the car pulling to the right suddenly when engaging AP) turns out to be completely unrelated to this issue, as many of you predicted. They did an alignment and everything is peachy for me right now. Sorry :(
Yeah, you will not be able to use AP at all if you had the same issue as we are.

I heard back from the service center yesterday and as expected, they said it was a firmware issue and should be corrected in the next software release. I asked if the adviser had an estimate on timeline and she said to call her back if I was still having the problem on Monday morning.

I see from Teslafi and ev-fw that a model S AP1 received 17.14.35 this morning. Hopefully this firmware includes the fix and will be pushed out to everyone soon. Fingers crossed!

• Informative
Reactions: Doubletap67
I pattern match that to my situation and predict your car's AP2 will continue working for the foreseeable future, with this bug not returning to your car.

That still leaves my curiosity of what the heck it was unanswered.

So far you are right. I have not had any additional trouble with AP on my car since my earlier post. I am still on 17.11.3 as well.