Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 / 8.1 : "Cruise Not Available"-AP intermittently not working in 17.11.{3,10} versions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did all sorts of things including rebooting the center screen, the dashboard, turning driver assistance features on and off, shutting down the car, etc. None of it seemed to work. One day the features just came back on and have worked ever since (knock on wood). I don't have an explanation.

I talked to a tech at Tesla Service Center last night, he told me the problem is with camera firmware. I'm not sure if he was BS me to make me feel better, but he told me that the original cameras they were going to put in the production vehicles were different ("better hardware and more expensive") from what they are currently putting in the car. And if you happened to be a "lucky owner" of more expensive "camera suite" latest update had has overwritten camera firmware, whatever was installed at the factory.
Also, first batches of AP2 vehicles have better camera calibration and alignment.

I talked to a tech at Tesla Service Center last night, he told me the problem is with camera firmware. I'm not sure if he was BS me to make me feel better, but he told me that the original cameras they were going to put in the production vehicles were different ("better hardware and more expensive") from what they are currently putting in the car. And if you happened to be a "lucky owner" of more expensive "camera suite" latest update had has overwritten camera firmware, whatever was installed at the factory.
Also, first batches of AP2 vehicles have better camera calibration and alignment.

Hmm. Interesting. The only thing that would refute this logic is that there is atleast one person who got the ECU replaced and AP functionality got restored with that without replacement of the cameras.

Did he tell you when they gonna release a patch to fix this issue?

So there exists AP1.9, a degenerative AP2.0. Some users will never know or ask Tesla to replace it and it stays forever in the field.

I don't think it was AP 1.9, from what I understood it was more expensive hardware (cameras), after testing they decided it was overkill and start installing the cheaper version in production cars.

Hmm. Interesting. The only thing that would refute this logic is that there is atleast one person who got the ECU replaced and AP functionality got restored with that without replacement of the cameras.

We don't know if they reinstalled camera firmware manually, which is a possibility. From SC tech perspective it easier to just replace ECU unit and hope it fixes the problem, then debugging what's going on.

Did he tell you when they gonna release a patch to fix this issue?
Nope, if the problem is what they described, the fix should be fairly straight forward - check which cameras are installed and load one version of firmware or another.

Nope, if the problem is what they described, the fix should be fairly straight forward - check which cameras are installed and load one version of firmware or another.
I presume they have a way to check. If they know the issue, I wonder what the hold up is, since apparently they've fixed it. Maybe the fix is more of a band-aid, and they really want to get a better fix in, and are in process of developing it. All very curious. But it's slowly making more and more sense.

In another note, I'm finally liking this version distribution better than in the past; decoupling version from target hardware really helped, but perhaps that generalization thinking got some lower quality programmers knotted up in the brain and they unleashed this bug then. But generally having more versions out there represented in enough number they can compare results is a better way to learn of variances and isolate bugs. The following 3 majorly distributed versions are across all hardware types, rather than only 1 or 2 per hardware type at any given time. Before, they were a bunch more clumpy than they are now, in ways that might have caused conceptual clogs. Once this growing pain gets solved, hopefully they learn their lesson.
Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 8.43.40 PM.png

Last edited:
My autopilot has now magically returned. I've had it available for 5/5 drives today, since 8.1 it had been working on about 1 drive per week.

I found it gradually became available more often over the course of two days up to this point.

I'm still on 17.11.10. I can't think of anything I've done differently except the fact that my wife has driven the car exclusively the last couple of days.

It's all very strange...

• Informative
Reactions: cdub
My autopilot has now magically returned. I've had it available for 5/5 drives today, since 8.1 it had been working on about 1 drive per week.

I found it gradually became available more often over the course of two days up to this point.

I'm still on 17.11.10. I can't think of anything I've done differently except the fact that my wife has driven the car exclusively the last couple of days.

It's all very strange...

Good news. Still the same behaviour from mine, though, I had it twice over the last ten drives and no change in frequency.

In another note, I'm finally liking this version distribution better than in the past; decoupling version from target hardware really helped, but perhaps that generalization thinking got some lower quality programmers knotted up in the brain and they unleashed this bug then. But generally having more versions out there represented in enough number they can compare results is a better way to learn of variances and isolate bugs. The following 3 majorly distributed versions are across all hardware types, rather than only 1 or 2 per hardware type at any given time. Before, they were a bunch more clumpy than they are now, in ways that might have caused conceptual clogs. Once this growing pain gets solved, hopefully they learn their lesson.
View attachment 224037

Tesla Service tracks software updates as well, the tech showed me the view where they can see how version break down and how many cars have it. They do aggregate data based on version <year>.<major> and use <x> for what looks like the build number or minor version i.e. 17.14.x. The version distribution was around 80k cars on 17.14.x and over 100k on 17.10.x (worldwide numbers)

They showed me all updates on my car which tells how it was installed OTA (over the air) or in service.
Each update has a git commit hash. Probably, the way tesla does the upgrade is just by fetching from a central git repo, see if there is a new branch with the latest patch if an owner accepts upgrade it just merges to master branch and then reboot the car.
If something goes wrong a tech could check out the previous version and reboot the car and you should be good to go.

I got a note from my SC that my "Cruise not available" is a FW issue. All they say is engineering is working on a fix with no timeline given. Extremely frustrating! Someone care to tweet Elon? They don't seem to be taking the issue seriously. Almost feels like Tesla doesn't take its customers seriously unless it hits the media!

I got a note from my SC that my "Cruise not available" is a FW issue. All they say is engineering is working on a fix with no timeline given. Extremely frustrating! Someone care to tweet Elon? They don't seem to be taking the issue seriously. Almost feels like Tesla doesn't take its customers seriously unless it hits the media!
Tesla has the best service and Tesla fanboys are coming at you..lol. Jokes aside, electrek reported that new update should be released this week and it adds AEB function to AP2 (Tesla will release ‘Automatic Emergency Braking’ feature on cars with Autopilot 2.0 hardware this week) . Hopefully the update will fix our issue too. If not I will give them 2 more weeks after that I will request them to replace my AP2 hardware.

Last two days I have had the return of Cruise.... so far. That was 5 days prior with nothing except once during that time, so around 30 trips, 1 worked, now in two days I have had 6 trips with it working, of course my SC appointment is for tomorrow to fix it :) might be an easy visit.

i told my SC that this response was unacceptable - they have replied that they will replace the "Driver Assistance Module", whatever that means.

Reactions: chillaban
i told my SC that this response was unacceptable - they have replied that they will replace the "Driver Assistance Module", whatever that means.

I asked my SC multiple times to consider replacing the ECU and they just mentioned that engineering advised against replacing the ECU. I personally do think this is a FW issue and it can be fixed by FW. However, what is bothersome is their lack of transparency on an estimated timeline of the fix.

Maybe they are being vague because they are confident a fix will come about under a month. Who knows!

I asked my SC multiple times to consider replacing the ECU and they just mentioned that engineering advised against replacing the ECU. I personally do think this is a FW issue and it can be fixed by FW. However, what is bothersome is their lack of transparency on an estimated timeline of the fix.

Maybe they are being vague because they are confident a fix will come about under a month. Who knows!

Agreed, I also believe this is firmware but clearly the bug is only manifesting itself in certain cars, and that (to me) suggests some interaction with hardware variations. If they were clear on the when of the software fix I'd have accepted that, but they haven't been.