Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 / 8.1 : "Cruise Not Available"-AP intermittently not working in 17.11.{3,10} versions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
17.17.4 is out. For folks with AP2 issue, please let us know if this version solves the issue.
So I got the 17.17.4 update for my AP2 car last night. Went for a test drive this morning and luckily everything is working. This was the first time in three weeks the "cruise not available" bug didn't show up. Cruise control and autopilot work great and the automatic headlights now work. The release notes say automatic emergency breaking is active and the limitation on the 35 mph on local roads has been lifted, now it will go 5 mph over the speed limit like AP1 cars.

Still don't have the update yet(17.17.4). Just picked my car yesterday from SC, they told me the fix will be available before 5/13 and I am on priority to get the update. I connected my car to wifi all the time, Why can we get the update at the same time just like what apple did on iPhone? I am wondering how tesla determine who will get the update faster than others.

I received the 17.16.35 update a few weeks ago while my car was at the Tesla SC. I drove away and all cruise and AP2 features were missing. This was first time I had experienced this issue since purchasing a month prior.

At that time a few weeks back Tesla support seemed unaware of any software-related issues. They suggested that I power the vehicle down using the Power Off option within the menu settings. After doing so and waiting a few minutes, I pressed the brake to turn the car back on and AP2 was back.

The same thing happened this morning. This now being the second time. I pulled off the highway, went through the steps and AP2 was back once again.

Now reading the TMC forum, I see this is a known issue. I was pleased to read that the latest software corrects the "Cruise Not Available" bug.

I called Tesla support again this morning and they advised that they will reach out to my local SC to request that they push the most recent software to me as quickly as possible. I am assuming this update will be 17.17.4.

Tesla support said there are no guarantees that their request will ensure an expedited rollout to me, but they said they would at least make the request.

Strange that Tesla in CA has to ask my local SC in FL to initiate the update. I don't get it.

Tesla neither confirmed nor denied that there is a software bug that randomly removes cruise/AP.

Last edited:
I was having issues were the features did not work. Since the new update Its been working 100%
I called my SC today and they claim they have not received 17.17.4. Which SC are you speaking with? I'd like to call and see if they'll push to me.

Thanks

My SC said the same today, but then another associate overheard the phone conversation and said they did have 17.17.4. The lack of transparency with all these software updates is quite interesting.

Well, after weeks of having no problems on 17.11.3, I was updated to 17.11.45 on 4/29 and today my AP stopped working again. I got the dreaded "cruise not available" message on my drive home today. I thought that was behind me. Damn.