Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 / 8.1 : "Cruise Not Available"-AP intermittently not working in 17.11.{3,10} versions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No dice, tried it 2 times,no road lines or speed limits.

This was how my S60D was like at delivery when HW2 didn't have autopilot. It sounds like your cameras aren't working. It should immediately show black lane lines (they will squiggle and move) at 1mph+. After you exceed 18mph or 5mph if there is a lead car, you should get either a greyed out steering wheel icon and/or greyed out 18mph MAX circle (circle is TACC, steering wheel is Autosteer).

If you don't get AS or TACC, its likely a radar issue. If you don't get any lines at all it seems like its camera based failure (though your SvC should immediately be able to tell).

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
Fixed! (At least I think it is!) :)
Here's what I did if you'd like to give it a try!

On centre screen turn headlights to 'Off'
Driver assistance - turn everything to 'Off'
E-Brake - 'Power Off' the vehicle
Wait 1 minute
Press Footbrake to 'Power On'
Driver assistance - turn everything to 'On'
Headlights - switch to 'Auto'

That's it!

I repeated this twice as I didn't notice that it fixed it first time around so if once doesn't do the job try it again!

The clue that it had worked was that my location Speed Limit sign appeared in the driver display ( this had disappeared along with TACC and Autosteer)

I have a 100 mile motorway drive today and will post if everything works OK.

Good luck!
:cool:

Well, it worked fine while it lasted. 50mile motorway trip yesterday and everything worked great, for the return I had to reboot the screen due to 'touchscreen unresponsive ' message and everything has disappeared again. I'll report back what the SC say about the problem. :(

Last edited:
i received 8.1 (first build) on March 30 and drove home from a ski trip with AP working as before (still no high-speed, but presumed calibrating). This morning April 3, I drove on both local roads and highways and noticed that the car was not detecting ANY lane markings. When I got on a highway, I tried to active TACC and got a "Cruise Not Available" message. I tried pulling over and rebooting both screens and power cycling the car from the touchscreen—no joy. I called Tesla and they opened a support record, but had no immediate advice.

Question: Has anyone been told how to trigger a reboot of the AP (Nvidia) computer? I suspect that some such maneuver might fix it.

BTW, interestingly, parallel park assist worked fine, I guess because it uses only the ultrasonics?

I got the latest update last Wednesday and was able to utilize AutoSteer Thursday and this weekend. This morning I don't have any lines or speed sign on my dash and not even TACC will engage. I've tried powering off the car for 2 minutes and again for 3 minutes and still nothing. Even reboot the center screen.

Any ideas on what else I can do? I called support and they said someone would call me back. I've learned to not hold my breath there though.

I've even tried turning everything in Driver Assist off and powering off the car.

All the sensors are clear along with the cameras. I know it's only the front one but I made sure all of the were clean anyway.

When I called. They told me they will look at the log first to see if there is some hints and call me back.

But they also have a service appointment scheduled in case I do need to bring it in.

I suggested if you don't heard anything back in 24 hours, call again and ask for a service appointment.

When I called. They told me they will look at the log first to see if there is some hints and call me back.

But they also have a service appointment scheduled in case I do need to bring it in.

I suggested if you don't heard anything back in 24 hours, call again and ask for a service appointment.

Ugh, I really don't want to deal with a service appointment.

Did you reset the IC (Hold the upper buttons on either side of the wheel)? Drive long enough to assume it's not just recalibrating?

I just tried your IC reset and that didn't get me anywhere. I have driven about 50 miles without TACC now. Not sure why it would be working and letting me run with AutoSteer at 75 yesterday then nothing today.

Well, it worked fine while it lasted. 50mile motorway trip yesterday and everything worked great, for the return I had to reboot the screen due to 'touchscreen unresponsive ' message and everything has disappeared again. I'll report back what the SC say about the problem. :(

So I got the 17.11.10 update this morning, Auto Steer didn't work until this afternoon. It was great! Then tried again tonight and no dice it wasn't working again no cruise no lines on dash. Hope the get software fix soon. My closest server center is over 300 miles away.

Do we have any solution yet? I have model x 100d, took delivery right on the day 8.1 was released. Autopilot is not working right after 8.1. I thought it may need more miles to calibrate, now I have driven 300miles+ but still not working.

Judging by this thread, the problem (lights on all the time, no speed limit icon, no TACC icon, no autosteer icon, no driver-assist functions) is clearly not simultaneous coincident hardware failure. I shall contact the SC on Monday with the information presented here.
That's the same symptoms I have (17.11.3). I forgot to mention I never get speed limit sign in another post here Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2 , and I had separately noticed the headlights always staying on and forgot to consider correlating it with this problem; obviously, that would be related. I find it odd, too, since I keep my cameras pretty clean.

This is after it had been working for many days under the same version.
Is anyone else with AP2 on 8.1 (Model S) experiencing "Cruise Not Available"?
Welcome back! In my case, since I don't have Enhanced or Self, but do have Regular Assistance in my AP2 car, it is what I have come to expect from the Regular level that is now missing. I never got the "Cruise Not Available"; I can still use manual cruise control, as before, in my non-Enhanced, and I think "Cruise Not Available" is something that happens to those with Enhanced and Self. By the way, I think that failure mode is dumb: it ought to allow manual cruise control, rather than none at all.

Last edited:
So I got the 17.11.10 update this morning, Auto Steer didn't work until this afternoon. It was great! Then tried again tonight and no dice it wasn't working again no cruise no lines on dash. Hope the get software fix soon. My closest server center is over 300 miles away.

It started working again yesterday a.m. and hasn't failed since. I reported the problem to the nearest SC anyway and they asked for a few details, times, dates and then connected and downloaded the car's log. That was yesterday, no word back yet but I've just downloaded 17.11.10 so let's see what happens with that. I never had the problem others did with the missing icons though.

The main current problem I have is repeated 'touchscreen unresponsive' reboot, messages - tons more since 17.9.3 - hope this update has helped with that!

Do we have any solution yet? I have model x 100d, took delivery right on the day 8.1 was released. Autopilot is not working right after 8.1. I thought it may need more miles to calibrate, now I have driven 300miles+ but still not working.

You could try the suggestions I made earlier in this thread and power off etc. It seems to have ultimately got mine working. Make sure all driver assistance boxes are 'off' before powering down - also auto headlights switched off. After powering back up switch each driver assistance option back on. Look for the speed limit notification in the driver display being shown - in my case this showed that TACC and Autopilot were functional again. If the speed limit isn't there you're still not working.

Try the above a few times if at first it doesn't work! Best of luck.