Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 / 8.1 : "Cruise Not Available"-AP intermittently not working in 17.11.{3,10} versions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just tried your IC reset and that didn't get me anywhere. I have driven about 50 miles without TACC now. Not sure why it would be working and letting me run with AutoSteer at 75 yesterday then nothing today.
I think I didn't drive far enough after the reset last night, soon as I hit the main road I had TACC back. Thanks! I'll have to remember this one.

Reactions: rabar10
So I had a similar issue this morning. Got in the car this morning and no TACC or AP2 available. No lines being displayed and got the "cruise not available" warning when I tried to engage TACC. I tried the resets, power off and re-start and no luck. Called support and they ran me through the same troubleshooting steps again and no luck. Tesla support sent my info over to the local service center and now I'm waiting to hear from them.

I'm on AP2 hardware, v17.11.3. Everything was working fine until today. No idea what could have caused it.

Fixed! (At least I think it is!) :)
Here's what I did if you'd like to give it a try!

On centre screen turn headlights to 'Off'
Driver assistance - turn everything to 'Off'
E-Brake - 'Power Off' the vehicle
Wait 1 minute
Press Footbrake to 'Power On'
Driver assistance - turn everything to 'On'
Headlights - switch to 'Auto'

That's it!

I repeated this twice as I didn't notice that it fixed it first time around so if once doesn't do the job try it again!

The clue that it had worked was that my location Speed Limit sign appeared in the driver display ( this had disappeared along with TACC and Autosteer)

I have a 100 mile motorway drive today and will post if everything works OK.

Good luck!
:cool:
That procedure didn't work for me.

IMG_6227.JPG

Update Edit 32 minutes later:

Look what happened after I stopped at a Chademo and refilled the windshield water reservoir:

IMG_6231.JPG

IMG_6233.JPG

It's back! And better than ever --- it sees cars on the front left, too, as shown, but I don't know to what extent. That upper right car also was tracked as it turned right. There's more going on there right than used to be.

I wonder what about doing this Chademo and refilling the water helped. I'm pretty sure the lines showed up before I ran the sprinklers again.

Lines: the assistance detection and interpretation lines showing up on the dash display forward of the steering wheel. Example:
image.jpg

Note: mine will never turn blue since I don't have Enhanced nor its precursor.

Last edited:
Update: over the course of yesterday, it returned to functionality, and then disappeared again several more times, on successive drives.

I would really like to know if other TMC's have seen anything like this after the update, or whether this is likely a hardware issue.

It sounds like it is still calibrating... Mine oddly worked right away.... Then i had about an hour randomly the next day it didn't work... Then it's worked great every day since. I would take it in if you have driven over a week and lots of freeway miles and it still is not working.

That procedure didn't work for me.

View attachment 221158

Update Edit 32 minutes later:

Look what happened after I stopped at a Chademo and refilled the windshield water reservoir:

View attachment 221166
View attachment 221167
It's back! And better than ever --- it sees cars on the front left, too, as shown, but I don't know to what extent. That upper right car also was tracked as it turned right. There's more going on there right than used to be.

I wonder what about doing this Chademo and refilling the water helped. I'm pretty sure the lines showed up before I ran the sprinklers again.

Lines: the assistance detection and interpretation lines showing up on the dash display forward of the steering wheel. Example:
View attachment 221169
Note: mine will never turn blue since I don't have Enhanced nor its precursor.

Nice one! 17.11.10 seems to have resolved my problems including the historical 'touchscreen unresponsive' :)

Reactions: Ulmo
I just heard back from the service center. They checked the logs and said I'm not the only one having this issue and that it will be fixed in a future firmware update.

I guess no TACC or autopilot until the next firmware update!

I had the same intermittently until SC sent me 17.11.10 overnight and all is working fine today. Why not message your SC and ask for 17.11.10 asap and try to make sure you have wifi available as much as possible.

Guys, we just received word from the Jax SC as follows:

"Our engineers have confirmed that the problem you are experiencing is a firmware glitch that is present on some vehicles with the 8.1 update. They are aware of this issue and are working towards a patch to rectify. At this moment we will not need to replace the DAS module. The vehicle has been reassembled and cleaned and is ready for pickup at your convenience."

In short, they are returning our car to us in the same condition that it was--no cruise. My wife's comment: "The queen is not amused."

Fixed! (At least I think it is!) :)
Here's what I did if you'd like to give it a try!

On centre screen turn headlights to 'Off'
Driver assistance - turn everything to 'Off'
E-Brake - 'Power Off' the vehicle
Wait 1 minute
Press Footbrake to 'Power On'
Driver assistance - turn everything to 'On'
Headlights - switch to 'Auto'

That's it!

I repeated this twice as I didn't notice that it fixed it first time around so if once doesn't do the job try it again!
:cool:

Strange... these are the very same steps I used to access the cow level.

It sounds like it is still calibrating... Mine oddly worked right away.... Then i had about an hour randomly the next day it didn't work... Then it's worked great every day since. I would take it in if you have driven over a week and lots of freeway miles and it still is not working.

Thanks for the perspective.

Short drives only on local roads today-- no AP or TACC functionality again.

I got the latest update last Wednesday and was able to utilize AutoSteer Thursday and this weekend. This morning I don't have any lines or speed sign on my dash and not even TACC will engage. I've tried powering off the car for 2 minutes and again for 3 minutes and still nothing. Even reboot the center screen.

Any ideas on what else I can do? I called support and they said someone would call me back. I've learned to not hold my breath there though.

I've even tried turning everything in Driver Assist off and powering off the car.

All the sensors are clear along with the cameras. I know it's only the front one but I made sure all of the were clean anyway.
The exact same thing happened to me today. All was well after updating to 17.11.3 on Friday. Much improved auto steer, lane markings were stable. Today, no TACC or auto steer, no lane markings. Rebooting the displays didn't work. Seems odd that those who are having this problem all seem to have started having problems today, after having the update work fine for a few days.

Reactions: juice15e and Ulmo
got 17.11.3 on 3/29/2017 and was able to use high speed Auto Steer right away. Starting this Monday All of the AP2 features stopped working. I have rebooted computers, shut the car down and toggled features on and off but no luck.
I use Teslafi and I noticed that the last time my car went to sleep was 3/28/2017. Not sure if its related.