Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 / 8.1 : "Cruise Not Available"-AP intermittently not working in 17.11.{3,10} versions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I just got hit today with the "Cruise not available", same symptoms auto lights on all the time, no cruise or other driving features. Came on once and then gone again. Very frustrating as it was 3 long hours of pedal driving home. Called Customer Service and referred me to SC who I will call Monday. Sounds like not much I can do.

Dave

Mine has been working for the past few days again, not sure why. It was not working for quite a while before that. Not sure if it will keep working.
I pattern match that to my situation and predict your car's AP2 will continue working for the foreseeable future, with this bug not returning to your car.

That still leaves my curiosity of what the heck it was unanswered.

I heard from the SC and they confirmed it was a firmware issues based on reviewing the logs. He said nothing they can do but has reported it to the Engineering team. They also said they would email me with updates as they got them. Did not leave with the feeling that any fix was coming quickly but hope I am wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: chillaban
AP is fixed!

I didn't get his name but I talked with the technician when I picked up. He's created an article in their system that all the technicians can access and verified that Tesla does know about the issue, has a firmware fix ready for it and that it will be pushed out in the next release. He said they can't replace the ECU for everyone but that I could pass along that he created an article about this in their system. Beyond that the technicians aren't kept in the loop on firmware updates so couldn't be more specific for me to pass along.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and chillaban
AP is fixed!

I didn't get his name but I talked with the technician when I picked up. He's created an article in their system that all the technicians can access and verified that Tesla does know about the issue, has a firmware fix ready for it and that it will be pushed out in the next release. He said they can't replace the ECU for everyone but that I could pass along that he created an article about this in their system. Beyond that the technicians aren't kept in the loop on firmware updates so couldn't be more specific for me to pass along.
Can you tell us more about what the fix entailed? Did they replace your ECU and that fixed it? Any additional details you can provide would be appreciated.

Can you tell us more about what the fix entailed? Did they replace your ECU and that fixed it? Any additional details you can provide would be appreciated.
They did replace my ECU as well as fix some camera alignment issues that required some physical shims. Those weren't part of it just another issue they saw when they took everything apart. I did have it iterated a couple times that the next firmware will have the fix. I know we've all heard that twice before but I believe him.

I did have 17.14.23 installed before going in so I know it's not that firmware that fixes it.

I did find that my car ping-ponged a lot more in the lanes on curves on the way home than it had previously. But they did rush the camera calibration so it might clear up after more driving.

• Informative
Reactions: dennis_d and Ulmo
... and did you experience the exterior lights being constantly on while you had the issue?

As a Canadian car with LED headlights, our headlights are on all the time, all the time— apparently, the new normal.

I guess because the LED headlights use so little power, they figure that it is a safer way of meeting the Canadian requirement for DRL's, than just leaving the signature "eyebrow" LED's on, as was the case with my former Signature P85.

I ran into this issue today. Drove in the morning with no issues and got in the car to head home this evening and had no TACC or auto pilot. I tried all of the various resets and turning features on and off that were suggested here with no luck in getting it back. I'll contact service in the morning.

One curious thing I noticed that I am wondering if others are experiencing is an issue with the drivers side window. This only started when I got in the car this evening and seems to be reproducible. The first time or two after unlocking the car, the window works fine when closing the door. However, after that, each subsequent open and close makes the window go down about an inch. Three cycles and it ends up down three inches. Using the window control to auto raise the window only bumps it up an inch. Holding the button in the up position does allow it to return all the way up. Locking the car with the three button tap of the FOB seems to get the window all the way up which again works fine for a time or two and then the pattern repeats.

I am still on 17.11.3. The return of functionality, which is ongoing, came without a software update.

My experience is the same. Functionality returned (so far) with no software update. Also, I was having the headlights issue where they stayed on all the time when TACC / Autosteer were disabled. It's almost as if something was locked up or frozen. I haven't had any issues for about 5 or 6 days now.

So is the general consensus just to wait until the next firmware revision?

Picked up my P100DL just over two weeks ago, with 17.11.10... I don't get the icons for TACC or auto-steer, at any speeds. I get "cruise not available" or "auto-steer temporarily unavailable" if I try and activate autopilot. I have seen autopilot functionality briefly, for about 90 seconds of driving on the highway last weekend - it wandered about in the lane on the motorway, then freaked itself out as it went under a bridge and deactivated itself. Nothing since then, with about 850 miles of driving overall since delivery.

I do see black lines indicating the lane-lines, so it would seem the cameras are calibrated and active. I don't see the cars in front of me indicated on the dash.I do see speed signs, but they're GPS based rather than camera based. Auto-headlights work fine. It would suggest maybe a radar problem, but then again a lot of you seem to be having similar issues so it's possibly just firmware (which seems to make no sense to me, but there we go)

Pondering whether or not to take it into a SC - but I feel they're a bit like hospital... I don't really want to go unless I absolutely have to!

Update on my SC visit yesterday:

Dropped off with no AP features working, the same condition as most of you in this thread. I'd also had the immediate post 8.1 issue of the car telling me to contact Tesla Service for manual calibration when attempting to initiate high speed autosteer (I was limited to 90 km/h). Soon after that I had the disappearing/reappearing features - nothing about 90% of the time.

Picked up my car yesterday after a two hour appointment at the Vancouver SC. Service staff reported that they'd adjusted my front cameras and confirmed all my reported issues in my logs. Warned me that I'd need to drive a bit before calibration was completed.

No AP features initially showing in the IC, but as expected, got the message that calibration was in progress. I'd also come back to my car at the SC with 17.14.23 firmware waiting to be installed (dropped off with 17.11.3) so when I got home I installed that. Was initially worried because when I drove a bit after the install the message about calibration was gone, and there were still no AP features ("Cruise not available", oh oh).

This morning on my drive to work everything was working, and I got high speed autosteer on the freeway for the first time since 8.1, hooray! So they addressed the pitch angle issue and we'll see if I still have AP when I go home. Image from my service invoice below.

0EFA41B4-200D-4205-98A2-15DA1887ED6A.jpg

Reactions: Ulmo
Update on my SC visit yesterday:

Dropped off with no AP features working, the same condition as most of you in this thread. I'd also had the immediate post 8.1 issue of the car telling me to contact Tesla Service for manual calibration when attempting to initiate high speed autosteer (I was limited to 90 km/h). Soon after that I had the disappearing/reappearing features - nothing about 90% of the time.

Picked up my car yesterday after a two hour appointment at the Vancouver SC. Service staff reported that they'd adjusted my front cameras and confirmed all my reported issues in my logs. Warned me that I'd need to drive a bit before calibration was completed.

No AP features initially showing in the IC, but as expected, got the message that calibration was in progress. I'd also come back to my car at the SC with 17.14.23 firmware waiting to be installed (dropped off with 17.11.3) so when I got home I installed that. Was initially worried because when I drove a bit after the install the message about calibration was gone, and there were still no AP features ("Cruise not available", oh oh).

This morning on my drive to work everything was working, and I got high speed autosteer on the freeway for the first time since 8.1, hooray! So they addressed the pitch angle issue and we'll see if I still have AP when I go home. Image from my service invoice below.

View attachment 223415

Your experience is almost identical to mine.

I had the contact service for manual calibration after 8.1, everything worked at that point but Autosteer speed was limited to 55mph as in previous versions.

Took the car in for service where they installed the same parts as in your invoice to correct the camera pitch (they also installed MS TRIPLE CAM GLARE SHIELD (1092617-99-C), whatever that is). They also installed 17.11.10.

When I got the car back it needed calibration which took about 25 miles of driving at which point everything was available including high speed autosteer. It was short lived though as a day or two later I got the Cruise Not Available error which I've had 90% of the time ever since.

Would be interested if the error reappears for you. I'm waiting for a firmware update like most.

Your experience is almost identical to mine.

I had the contact service for manual calibration after 8.1, everything worked at that point but Autosteer speed was limited to 55mph as in previous versions.

Took the car in for service where they installed the same parts as in your invoice to correct the camera pitch (they also installed MS TRIPLE CAM GLARE SHIELD (1092617-99-C), whatever that is). They also installed 17.11.10.

When I got the car back it needed calibration which took about 25 miles of driving at which point everything was available including high speed autosteer. It was short lived though as a day or two later I got the Cruise Not Available error which I've had 90% of the time ever since.

Would be interested if the error reappears for you. I'm waiting for a firmware update like most.

That's bad news but not entirely surprising. I'll report back.