Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 / 8.1 : "Cruise Not Available"-AP intermittently not working in 17.11.{3,10} versions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FlasherZ

Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv
Jun 21, 2012
Is anyone else with AP2 on 8.1 (Model S) experiencing "Cruise Not Available"?

The release notes say that while AP2 is recalibrating for the high-speed AP, that low-speed would be available. In my case, after the upgrade the car no longer sees lanes, and attempting to engage low-speed AP or even TACC gives a result of "Cruise Not Available".

I think it might be a result of re-calibration, but the release notes specifically talk about keeping low-speed AP during the process, which would seem to include TACC capability.

I've reached out to a few contacts but wanted to know if anyone else had experienced it.

I just downloaded 8.1 on my P100D AP2 Model S last night. On my first drive into work today, I already had the high-speed Auto Steer available, including cruise control. After limited use, I feel like the software update is much more stable regarding my car's ability to see the lane lines. My car seems to track much better down the center of the lanes while using Auto Steer, and almost all of the lane line jumpiness on the display has gone away. At first, I wondered if the side cameras have been activated, though I have no idea/understanding about the camera workings.

I've also noticed what seems to be a greater accuracy regarding my car's display in the tracking of the cars in front of me... including two cars ahead.

That being said, I've had limited time behind the wheel since the this morning's download.

This is my first post on the site. I've had my car for about 2 months, and absolutely love it. No problems or issues so far. This last download was the 3rd since I took possession, which is very cool. I charged at a Tesla Supercharger station in Joplin, MO recently, and was charging at 114kW and 364 mi/hr. Amazing!

Welcome to TMC!

It sounds like you had a good experience and kept the ability to do high-speed AP and cruise. Bummer, may just be my car due for a hardware calibration.

Follow-up: Apparently I didn't give it enough time. Updated yesterday afternoon, drove a couple of times last night (1 hr after update, 4 hrs after update) with no cruise available. After posting the above, I went for a drive and it showed me the lines and I had cruise available again.

Another update, and an interesting problem to go solve... last night, in the early evening (around 5:30 pm) I drove again and the same failure occurred. Driving home resulted in the same failure as well -- still no cruise. Putting 2+2 together (failures were happening at night, successes during the day), I called the service center and they pulled logs; as it turns out the car is generating a "low light" alert condition that's disabling all of the TACC/AP stuff, including basic cruise control.

So it appears that it may be isolated to my car.

Another update, and an interesting problem to go solve... last night, in the early evening (around 5:30 pm) I drove again and the same failure occurred. Driving home resulted in the same failure as well -- still no cruise. Putting 2+2 together (failures were happening at night, successes during the day), I called the service center and they pulled logs; as it turns out the car is generating a "low light" alert condition that's disabling all of the TACC/AP stuff, including basic cruise control.

Trying to understand, newbie here. Is that saying that the sensor/s don't have enough light to "see" then? If so, is that caused by dirt etc being on them?

Last edited:

Not isolated to you! Almost identical problem with my X P100D - update worked fine and everything ok aside from TACC and Autopilot. I just drove 100 mile trip with no change. Interesting about your low light comment as I did notice my auto headlights working almost constantly even in really bright sunlight, blue skies. I thoroughly washed the car yesterday so can't see dirt being a problem.

Anyone else with this problem? And a solution aside from a call to the SC?
:(

Hi, I've same problem.
My 90D autopilot before and after 8.1 update, have no cruise and autopilot.
I drove for 200 km after update, but still no cruise no autopilot and car it's totally blind, the radar does not work, shows no machine in front of me.

I was so happy to get 8.1 on Wednesday. I tried summon and it worked great! Turn everything on for Auto Lane change, Steer. No dice. It had worked just fine at 35MPH local and 55MPH Freeway the day before. At first I thought it just needed to calibrate. I called the service send and they said they were able to reset the system and it started working late Thursday night. Then again it didn't work all day Friday or today. I'm on long trip from Las Vegas to Wyoming. In Salt Lake right now and don't even have Cruse. Anyone else having issues? When it's calibrating does it say anything? The only message I get it cruse not available.

Fixed! (At least I think it is!) :)
Here's what I did if you'd like to give it a try!

On centre screen turn headlights to 'Off'
Driver assistance - turn everything to 'Off'
E-Brake - 'Power Off' the vehicle
Wait 1 minute
Press Footbrake to 'Power On'
Driver assistance - turn everything to 'On'
Headlights - switch to 'Auto'

That's it!

I repeated this twice as I didn't notice that it fixed it first time around so if once doesn't do the job try it again!

The clue that it had worked was that my location Speed Limit sign appeared in the driver display ( this had disappeared along with TACC and Autosteer)

I have a 100 mile motorway drive today and will post if everything works OK.

Good luck!
:cool:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Our S90D has this exact problem after the 17.11 update. I was unable to solve it. I took it to Jax SC. The Jax SC local tech worked on it all day Friday but was unable to solve it. The regional engineer thinks it is a failed (driver's assist) hardware module. So, our car is now sitting in the SC, the part is back-ordered, and we are driving a pre-facelift S75 loaner.

Judging by this thread, the problem (lights on all the time, no speed limit icon, no TACC icon, no autosteer icon, no driver-assist functions) is clearly not simultaneous coincident hardware failure. I shall contact the SC on Monday with the information presented here.

Our S90D has this exact problem after the 17.11 update. I was unable to solve it. I took it to Jax SC. The Jax SC local tech worked on it all day Friday but was unable to solve it. The regional engineer thinks it is a failed (driver's assist) hardware module. So, our car is now sitting in the SC, the part is back-ordered, and we are driving a pre-facelift S75 loaner.

Judging by this thread, the problem (lights on all the time, no speed limit icon, no TACC icon, no autosteer icon, no driver-assist functions) is clearly not simultaneous coincident hardware failure. I shall contact the SC on Monday with the information presented here.

Imho it could be simply a glitch in the uploaded software since everything else worked fine and all the other new features were available. The thing that seemed particularly odd to me was the missing mph speed sign - I believe this is related more to gps positioning rather than the radar or cameras. Perhaps simply powering down and starting each function again 'reset' something. Everything still working ok today ............ aside from my historical 'touchscreen unresponsive' 'press reset' recurrences!
:(

• Informative
Reactions: coqui33
The service center in Vegas said they couldn't get me in last week and I Salt Lake center is closed today and I need to be home before tomorrow morning. They told me it would take at least 3 days to troubleshoot if it didn't start working again and they can't send a ranger out to do it. Salt Lake or Denver is my closest Service center both just over 300 miles from home. I was hoping it is just software calibrating, but it's not looking so good.

Fixed! (At least I think it is!) :)
Here's what I did if you'd like to give it a try!

On centre screen turn headlights to 'Off'
Driver assistance - turn everything to 'Off'
E-Brake - 'Power Off' the vehicle
Wait 1 minute
Press Footbrake to 'Power On'
Driver assistance - turn everything to 'On'
Headlights - switch to 'Auto'

That's it!

I repeated this twice as I didn't notice that it fixed it first time around so if once doesn't do the job try it again!

The clue that it had worked was that my location Speed Limit sign appeared in the driver display ( this had disappeared along with TACC and Autosteer)

I have a 100 mile motorway drive today and will post if everything works OK.

Good luck!
:cool:

I have the same issue, I'm going to try this now and report back.