TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

AP2: 90% of my driving is using TACC - and it works great

Discussion in 'Model S' started by dmode, Feb 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dmode

dmode Member

Reading many of the threads here about people having issues with TACC and Autosteer, I am wondering if my experience is unique. These days, I would say 90% of my driving on freeways are on TACC.

I have also recently completed a 800 mile round trip from Bay Area to San Diego, largely using TACC as well. I also drive 10-15 miles most days using Autosteer as my commute sees heavy traffic moving anywhere between 30-50 miles / hr. My experience has largely been trouble free. I do a few things while using Autopilot - make sure I am in the middle lane, set a distance of about 5 car lengths, take over during ramps. I am wondering why my experience is different than many in the forum. Is it because I drive in Bay Area and California and the roads are better mapped by Tesla ? or is the software optimized for CA lane striping or is lane striping better around here ?

• Like x 2
  2. BBB4000

BBB4000 Member

I would say I have had very few problems with TACC. The one exception is when a car is at a full stop in the distance. TACC waits too long and ends up braking way too aggressively. Other than that TACC works pretty well.

Autosteer on the other hand is unreliable at best.

3. weradln

weradln Member

It's not fun when TACC sees an overhead sign and slams on the brakes while you get an urgent beep, beep, beep. Granted it only lasts for a second or so but it is alarming to say the least! Afraid I'll get rear ended! On a 4 day 2,200mi trip I used TACC all the time and had false alerts about 3-4 times each day. The good news is I had to go thru central Dallas during rush hour and I must say TACC was awesome. A real stress reliever. Am surprised forward collision avoidance is still falsely identifying overhead signs. Doubt this is a difficult situation to resolve so am expecting TACC to be improved quickly, unlike Autosteer, which I see as significantly tougher to resolve.

4. davinci2017

davinci2017 Member

For the most part yes it seems to do fine but there are corner cases that keep popping up. I find the acceleration deceleration to be a bit too aggressive and not anticipatory. In smooth traffic, its great, but in frequent speed-limit to halt back to speed-limit type scenarios, the car is a bit scary sometimes

Still needs work, but its still quite useful in its current state, but I find I am a bit more "alert and concentrating" with it ON than OFF, which I don't think is in the intended implementation

5. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

I also feel the brake hits really hard. But I feel like also TACC might wear the brakes more just because I don't think it uses the regen effectively.