TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

AP2 activation?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by bktiger86, Jan 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Hi everyone! Just got my Model S today! Super excited...I noticed that my AP2 is not activated yet. Does it take couple days until I can see it? I don't see any software updates on my screen either.

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

There are several threads about AP2 activation and firmware updates for you to read at your leisure.

3. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

Welcome to the club!

What Firmware version does your car have? You can find out by pressing the Tesla "T" at the top of your screen, it'll show you info on your car, including the FW version.

4. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Thank you for your kind words. Right now it is on v8.0 (2.52.120).

5. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

You currently do not have the latest FW, which has limited Autopilot available. You need version 17.3.2, which should auto download to your car, but you need to have your car on wifi.

Also, you may or may not be aware but Autopilot for HW2 cars (such as yours) is currently only working in very limited situations. Your have Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) available at up to 75MPH, and Autosteering only on freeways and only put to 45MPH.

6. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Oh I think I know the problem now. It is not on Wifi.

7. Veritas1980

Veritas1980 Electric Viking

#7 Veritas1980, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    You will still get the update even if you are not on wifi, but it will likely take a bit longer.

I'm not on wifi and I haven't got AP2 update yet either.

8. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Oh really? I wonder why some people got theirs and we haven't.

9. Veritas1980

According to ev-fw.com (firmware tracker for Tesla) it looks like it's only people who have gotten it via wifi until now. I guess that Tesla would like to save a bit of the data usage on the LTE connections.
    My guess is that they first roll it out on cars connected to wifi, and after a waiting period they release it on LTE as well.

If you have the possibility to connect to wifi, it seems to be the quickest way to get the updates. If not, they will show up at some point, but hard to say when. The first update I got, was 3-4 days after people on wifi started to get theirs, the second was 2 days after wifi started to roll out.
    So I'm hoping that this one will soon follow, but we'll see.

However, Elon Musk was just on twitter, talking about there will be a software update this weekend to improve self-calibration on HW2, so maybe we will get that instead.

In the meantime, congratulations on your brand new car, it's a great experience but quite different from regular cars (I never waited anxiously for firmware updates for the Suzuki).

• Informative x 1
  10. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

That does make sense. I was able to get my car connected to my home's wifi. So hopefully I will receive some kind of update. I'm hoping I can get at least the basic AP to work :)

11. Veritas1980

So apparently there have been a new update sent out.
    I just installed 17.3.15 via LTE 1½ hour ago, hopefully they fixed the calibration issues.

And it would seem that they are also gracing us poor guys without wifi since I was the first to report it on ev-fw.com. Proving once again, trying to find a system in how, when and why Tesla issues updates will be a futile task.

Anyway, now I just need to get off work so I can go see what was in the update and if I finally don't have to think quite as much during driving ;)

12. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Same here! I just got an update last night! Hopefully we don't have the calibration issues. I am also about to head out to work to test it out. Enjoy driving and be safe!!

13. croman

croman Active Member

I got it, its what everyone else has but seems to be slightly more improved based on what I've heard other say. It could be that we were held back intentionally by Tesla because we have the dreaded camera pitch angle problem, it could be that our internet was deficient (though I've tried multiple wifi networks and used my phone on tether to no avail). I tried it out and its great. Autosteer works. TACC works really well and sees adjacent cars (though no lane markers for adjacent lanes the cars appear in the IC when they are crossing into my lane and they only disappear when they are totally out of my lane for 1-2 seconds).

I'm just relieved to have FCW which was working great with 1-2 false positives but included one real warning when a car abruptly pulled out of a Dairy Queen and cut across 2 lanes. I saw it and was on top of it but FCW saw it sooner (I have it set to "early").