Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 and UK 'A Roads'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What has everyones experience been of 8.1 on an AP2 car and 70mph dual carriage way A Roads?

I travel on a fair amount of 50, 60 and 70mph A roads that have central reservation and are not particularly complex for AP (i.e. no severe bends etc).

Basically non of them seem to be supported by AP, although I was expecting them to as analogous with Freeways in the US (as opposed to Highways = Motorway).

Is this is a blanket no for the UK, or have some of you got roads that are supported, therefore a mapping or data collection issue perhaps?

What has everyones experience been of 8.1 on an AP2 car and 70mph dual carriage way A Roads?

I travel on a fair amount of 50, 60 and 70mph A roads that have central reservation and are not particularly complex for AP (i.e. no severe bends etc).

Basically non of them seem to be supported by AP, although I was expecting them to as analogous with Freeways in the US (as opposed to Highways = Motorway).

Is this is a blanket no for the UK, or have some of you got roads that are supported, therefore a mapping or data collection issue perhaps?

AP1 is absolutely fantastic on most U.K. A roads - the newer the road, less sharp curves, the better. AP2 is still in the learning stage whereas AP1 had got there. Probably six months or so before we see AP2 reach the same standard imho after having AP2 since Jan. I'm sure it will get there but I find it frustrating at the moment having had far better with the last version.

AP1 is absolutely fantastic on most U.K. A roads - the newer the road, less sharp curves, the better. AP2 is still in the learning stage whereas AP1 had got there. Probably six months or so before we see AP2 reach the same standard imho after having AP2 since Jan. I'm sure it will get there but I find it frustrating at the moment having had far better with the last version.

Thanks for the response and the AP1 perspective. That gives me something positive to look forward to as AP2 progresses. I guess I'm less frustrated than most as I've never owned an AP1 car, and only just picked up my car in March so other than the huge wait for the car itself, I haven't been sat in a car full of sensors and nothing for them to do for long.

Not sure if it's just me, I guess I should check out the relevant other threads on this, but I feel that the latest update has made AP2 a little bit more stable, especially on the Motorway. So I'm hoping for a better experience as well as new features. Part of that being A Roads.

AP1 continues to improve steadily, though we probably can expect a lower rate of improvements in future.

You AP2 folks though have many months and possibly years ahead of excitement at the next software update.
Already AP2, even if not quite as mature as AP1 just yet, is better than any other brand of vehicle available today, so enjoy the ride.

AP1 continues to improve steadily, though we probably can expect a lower rate of improvements in future.

You AP2 folks though have many months and possibly years ahead of excitement at the next software update.
Already AP2, even if not quite as mature as AP1 just yet, is better than any other brand of vehicle available today, so enjoy the ride.

Indeed! The aspirations for AP and Fully Autonomous is going to be a really interesting couple of years of ownership.

Reactions: Tomnook
AP2 in the UK is a bit weird. You can drive on a "M" road and you can drive (up to 35mph) on a B road or a non-designated road.

But you cannot drive on an A road. Which is a pain, as some A roads are almost motorways (like the A3 for example).

I also find that <35mph on a motorway is generally perfect, but <35mph on a B road is generally nuts...

Tesla took a blanket decision that no A roads would be supported, probably because of the wide variety and lack of time to qualify each one individually. No doubt this was a quick fix and we will get them in due course.

At least TACC still works!

AP2 in the UK is a bit weird. You can drive on a "M" road and you can drive (up to 35mph) on a B road or a non-designated road.

But you cannot drive on an A road. Which is a pain, as some A roads are almost motorways (like the A3 for example).

I also find that <35mph on a motorway is generally perfect, but <35mph on a B road is generally nuts...

Tesla took a blanket decision that no A roads would be supported, probably because of the wide variety and lack of time to qualify each one individually. No doubt this was a quick fix and we will get them in due course.

At least TACC still works!

Yep totally agree. Ive pretty much found up to about 70mph on Motorways to be near to excellent, with some phantom breaking, but that has reduced in recent weeks. Certainly crawling along < 5MPH on B roads in traffic is also really good. Anything above that though is pointless bordering on insane (in a bad way!).

I'm hoping for AP1 'A road' parity soon given 50% of my commute is dual carriageway with 2 or 3 lanes and no roundabouts, junctions or traffic signals (basically a motorway by another name) with speed limits of 50, 60 and 70mph.

lack of time to qualify each one individually.

Is there a difference, in that regard, to AP1 then?

My AP1 will engage AP anywhere-ish. On the back roads, with a central white line but no line on the outside, it is usually hopeless - a curb is somewhat less hopeless than a verge, but I haven't got to the point of trusting it even then. But if there is a white line on both sides of the lane I'm OK regardless of road type. I can't imagine that these roads have been "processed" in any way, and another Tesla in the vicinity is a rare sight!, so I assume I'm just driving on sensors, rather than map info. Map info may help with the speed it chooses for a bend, but usually I find it braking late / into the bend (if it is sharp) which suggests no map awareness.

In practice I'm not using AP1 on lesser roads, other than out of curiosity. I get nervous about trusting it with oncoming traffic (i.e. what sort of avoiding action I MIGHT be called upon to take, unexpectedly) ... but in crawling traffic on any road type, and on all dual carriageways, I use AP pretty much all the time ... except when I am in a hurry.

At a 75MPH cruise I can't think of a journey where I haven't accidentally got AP1 disabled by nudging 90MPH, which is very annoying (where is the safety in disabling AP for the rest of the drive? I have never pulled over, and done PARK to reset, so have been more at risk in that sense). If someone is coming up behind me, when I am overtaking, I generally speed up and pull over sooner so as not to hold them up ... 90 comes up very quickly. But I'm getting used to having to jiggle the wheel, or disengage AP (and thus Cruise too :( ), when I accelerate - but I curse every time that I need to do that ...

When I'm in a hurry then in traffic, where I can sprint between busy stretches, the 90 MPH lockout is so likely, or I will have fiddle about disengaging so often, that I just drive manually. I think that's daft as my view is that with both AP and ME driving I'm i a much safer place than when just one of us is on the job.

Reactions: Tomnook
Has anyone in UK got 17.17.4 yet (latest AP2 update) and if so how does it work on UK motorways, A-roads/dual carriageways, b-roads etc?
My car is coming on 20th so am keen to understand capability in UK.

Thanks a lot.

Has anyone in UK got 17.17.4 yet (latest AP2 update) and if so how does it work on UK motorways, A-roads/dual carriageways, b-roads etc?
My car is coming on 20th so am keen to understand capability in UK.

Thanks a lot.

Nope not yet.

EV Firmware tracker is showing no reports of 17.17.4 in UK cars yet, MS nor MX....

:(

Clearly that is a limited sample, but normally indicative of the wider picture. Equally even in the US it looks like only circa 20-25% of the normal install base. So looks like being rolled out slowly to US only customers to prove out...

I got it today. Installed but not tried it yet.

Likewise, but will be trying it tomorrow on a 200 mile round trip I've done a couple of times with AP2 already. Mostly motorway and it was pretty good, only hesitating momentarily a couple of times with overhead gantries. I found the auto change lane worked better going to a left hand rather than a right hand lane.

As far a B roads and in traffic generally, TACC is great, but autosteer just can't deal with roads where cars are parked on one side or other. I really don't know how these sorts of roads could ever be autonomous. Maybe they won't and it'll be motorways and dual carriageways etc that can go fully autonomous.

I would say from experience, definitely keep your hands on the wheel. Sometimes AP2 will lurch to the left and on a non dual carriageway, you wont have time to correct if your hands ae not on the wheel.

Wow really? Doesn't sound normal. I've used AP2 a lot over the last month since the last update, most recent a return trip to Scotland over 800miles, predominantly AP2 assisted. I am yet to have any kind of lurching around in terms of steering. The biggest issue is with the Radar feathering the throttle/brake when it thinks there may be something in lane or not. So no big abrupt breaking like in early versions of the firmware, but certainly lots of 'hesitancy' in and around traffic.

Reasonably tight turns on Motorways and A Roads at 70mph are still a little nervy and I tend to disengage sometimes when I deem the bend probably a little too ambitious.

I do keep hands on wheel, however I can see how it is very tempting not to on Motorway given it has been for me pretty rock solid since the last update.