Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 Autopark Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the video it shows the distance sensing going below 12inches.

Is this always the case with an AP2 car? Or just while in auto-park?

With my AP1 car the UI only displays down to 12 inches. Anything below that it won't show the numbers for. At least for normal parking it doesn't. I can't remember if auto-park showed anything below 12 inches.

I just got the update last night with AP2 autopark. Tried it today, and it worked amazingly well. I doubt I could have done it any quicker and smoother myself. Very cool. Drive just past the open spot, it flashed a P on the front display, put it into reverse, touch the start botton on the screen, and it takes over. It pulled a little closer to the front car than I would have, about 2 foot gap, but you can adjust yourself when it's done.

Of course, I rarely parallel park, so don't know how practical this is for me.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
The problem is that it takes too long compared to manual handling.

Regardless, it is still a step up to the future. :cool:

How big of a difference time wise is it really? Maybe a few seconds at the end?

In any case I think it's really because it makes YOU look bad since people are looking at you wondering why you suck so badly.

If you're allowed to get out of the car then it's the cars fault.

• Funny
Reactions: Acho
Had a chance to use Autopark yesterday and was thoroughly impressed! It was a parallel parking job on the drivers side, which I don't think I could have navigated personally and the car did it beautifully in a two move maneuver. Backed into the spot all in one fluid motion, stopped, then pulled forward with no other adjustments. Loved it.

I got comfortable with the parallel autopark AP1 quickly, but the perpendicular left me frozen. When my DS called to check in after delivery, I told him about my jitters. He arranged for me to stop by the SvC, jumped in the car and we "practiced' perpendicular parking between 'brand-new-waiting-to-be-delivered' Teslas for 15 minutes. :eek: And he actually had me close my eyes while doing a few to prove his point.

How is AP2 with perpendicular parking?

I got comfortable with the parallel autopark AP1 quickly, but the perpendicular left me frozen. When my DS called to check in after delivery, I told him about my jitters. He arranged for me to stop by the SvC, jumped in the car and we "practiced' perpendicular parking between 'brand-new-waiting-to-be-delivered' Teslas for 15 minutes. :eek: And he actually had me close my eyes while doing a few to prove his point.

I don't believe AP2 supports perpendicular parking yet.

With AP1 I struggle getting it to activate for perpendicular parking. I've done it a few times, but most of the time it doesn't come up. I think it's because around here there tends to be a huge difference in how far a vehicle sticks out. You'll have a truck next to a mini-cooper for example.

I don't believe AP2 supports perpendicular parking yet.

With AP1 I struggle getting it to activate for perpendicular parking. I've done it a few times, but most of the time it doesn't come up. I think it's because around here there tends to be a huge difference in how far a vehicle sticks out. You'll have a truck next to a mini-cooper for example.

The only time I use it, is at the SvC.
If I'm going to take out my own Tesla, might as well go big and take out a few others with me. :D

I tested auto park today in two very tight spots, and it worked marvelously (required one extra wiggle move each time, but no more). Parking position was perfect, and the car seemed frighteningly close to the car behind both times. I was surprised that it even assessed these two spots as viable!

Had you hit one of those cars, good chance your insurance would be paying for it because you were at the wheel. When test driving AP1 car back when I was considering my second Tesla (which I did buy and still own) SA was telling my how the new ultrasonic sensors have 360 coverage and no blind spots. At the store parking lot they had concrete poles protecting the electrical box for all the HPWC's, I asked if I can trust the parking sensor 100%, he said yes, if there is no obstacle showing then I can keep driving. I then backed into a spot in such a way where I got no warnings at all, then stopped and asked him to go look outside of my driver's side door, where there I was about to make a pole sized dent in the brand new P85D. I didn't damage the car to prove the point, but I hope he stopped telling people that there is 360 degree sensing with no blind spots. Here is the kicker though, I asked him "what if I did hit the pole", his response "your insurance would have to cover it". "But you told me to drive if there are no warnings" I said, to which he replied "the driver is always responsible".

Somebody has an anger issue here. :p
Having bad days? Or drink too much kool-aid.

Ha, apparently no one got my joke.

The joke is about being self conscious about it taking longer than expected, and doing more moves than expected. So those of us who do get self conscious would be internally saying something like "they must think I really suck at this".

Where if we're outside of the car there isn't any self consciousness.

No anger was involved with my post.

I've tried off and on parallel parking and it works great if it finds the spot.

Tonight I passed several obvious parallel spots outside the restaurant (with cars in front and behind and plenty of space) and it apparently did not like that curb/road. Hmm.

2 out of 2 parallel parking and 2 for 3 in finding obvious parallel spots.