Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 AutoSteer swerviness...??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody think alignment could be an issue with this? I got my car recently. And it would drift to the right (pretty noticeable). I.E. While normal driving just let go of steering wheel and it would drive of the right side of the road with a little time. I was on a road trip home from picking the car up from Fremont so not much I could do about it. After getting home I had them fix the alignment. Maybe just me but it seemed to rock a little back and forth when I first turned on AP and would adjust more then I would like after that. Not sure it was consistent though. I have not had a long trip since fixing but seems better. Overall though I was pretty happy with it so maybe not that bad....

I have been on 2017.38.f8.... since the day I got the car (updating on the same day from .36).
I would take it in. AP is way too complex of a system that it's going to be perfect when they deliver car. They need to calibrate and tune it up after you get a couple months into using it.

I find it searches side to side if:

1. If the lane you are in is wider then a normal lane
2. The road lines disappear on either side for a short time
3. On a sunny day, when you drive through a shady spot

Otherwise it's fine on the freeway.....

-m

Reactions: 1 person
AP2 has degraded lane control when the freeway rises to a peak (such as to go over an underpass) then comes back down. The lane control instability occurs just after the vehicle crosses the peak, and the vehicle weaves left and right and can cross lanes from the right lane to the left lane. I'm now on 2017.42.a88c8d5, and this build does it. Having the road rise then immediately turn to the left or right makes things worse.

I can guess that AP2 loses track on the lane lines at the peak (when the cameras can't see the lines continuing), and then goes into a re-acquisition "weave" maneuver to find/lock on the lines again I typically see this happen when I initiate AP, but it settles down quickly after a small oscillation or two.

Reactions: Lou gagna