Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 AutoSteer swerviness...??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New X has I think 2,500 miles on it by now. Long trip yesterday - About 8 highway auto-steer hours - lots of long straight stretches on nice roads. Car was constantly hunting (oscillating) for a perfectly-centered track and making ultra slight adjustments left to right to left - enough that you'd think it was gently rocking you to sleep. IS THIS NORMAL? Frankly, it drives better than I do even with this, judging by the number of times my driving engages the lane departure vibration (super sensitive, in my opinion versus former BMW). I have the smaller tires so it doesn't feel quite as "on rails" as low profile tires on my S provide, but understandable...It's an X with mushier tires...(yes, perfectly inflated to specs) Just DANG! the slow rocking side to side... SC offers standard response about my AP questions - improvements coming.

I invite pleasant responses and thoughts and ask that the smarty-butts "steer clear." :)

• Informative
Reactions: Richard34212
New X has I think 2,500 miles on it by now. Long trip yesterday - About 8 highway auto-steer hours - lots of long straight stretches on nice roads. Car was constantly hunting (oscillating) for a perfectly-centered track and making ultra slight adjustments left to right to left - enough that you'd think it was gently rocking you to sleep. IS THIS NORMAL? Frankly, it drives better than I do even with this, judging by the number of times my driving engages the lane departure vibration (super sensitive, in my opinion versus former BMW). I have the smaller tires so it doesn't feel quite as "on rails" as low profile tires on my S provide, but understandable...It's an X with mushier tires...(yes, perfectly inflated to specs) Just DANG! the slow rocking side to side... SC offers standard response about my AP questions - improvements coming.

I invite pleasant responses and thoughts and ask that the smarty-butts "steer clear." :)
Did you have a streaming music playing? Was it in sync with the oscillations? If so, then maybe you're Tesla is trying to put you to sleep to take over the world. Bring it into the closest SC to have the AI re-programmed.

More seriously, it will likely get better over time as you drive more miles. I assume you have AP2, and others have reported similar behavior. It will get better either with more AP miles or with a future OTA update.

It's not yet as planted as AP1 is but it's rapidly improving. AP1 also was not rock solid in the beginning of its tenure.

Reactions: buttershrimp

Should we assume 8.1 software? :) It really helps to include the firmware in posts like this! There are some people that still have not gotten any of the 8.1 versions, so....

With AP1, I never noticed a "pinball effect" from my autosteer...up until this last Friday. On my normal commute home, I noticed it was making fine adjustments within the lane. It was the first time I felt AP1 was crude/rough.

I didn't notice any release notes about an AP adjustment though and it was only on that one stretch of road.

How were the shadows? Width of the lanes? Lane marker paint quality? I've noticed all can bring some "swerviness".

I have not seen this issue since before 8.1. With the latest patch, and no calibration required, the car stays dialed into the center of the lane and does not seek. At low speeds on local roads, it will definitely seek back and forth when the roads are wider or there is a turn out. I really wouldnt use AP2 on local roads, its basically pointless at 35mph anyway. On the freeway at freeway speeds or even slower speeds its nearly flawless. Only issue I have is when someone cuts or merges in front of me. The AP2 car does not acknowledge them until hey are directly in front of you, which is odd because it wont let me change lanes if a car is to close in the lane I am trying to merge into.

I have never had the issues people have reported here. I dont get sudden slowdowns for overpasses anymore, though I used to with early versions of AP2 firmware. The car handles curves just fine at highway speeds, including as sharp of curves exit ramps. TACC can still have some issues on curves on local roads where cars are stopped in a turn lane and you are zooming by. It hesitates a bit as it sees the cars stopped directly in front, though in a different lane, as you round the curve. No sudden deceleration, just a slight deceleration multiple times until you pass through the intersection where people are turning.

I have a MX P100D w/ AP Hdw 2.0 and software 8.1 17.11.45 (just installed two days ago). I have just over 6,000 miles since delivery on 12/26/16.

I have noticed a faint weaving back and forth ever since auto steer was first enabled. At 70 MPH or 80 MPH (which I drove at yesterday for 15 miles) the problem persisted. BTW: I keep my windshield's cameras very clean. The weaving was so annoying that I would deactivate auto steer and redo, just to see if I could get it better. Nope. Eventually turned it off as I think the car was freaking out drivers in the cars on each side of me. Lane markers were bright and not faded a bit. I had my distance setting on the AP stalk at either 3 or 4. Road surface was concrete and without problems. It was about 4:30 pm and the sun was off my left side about 30 degrees above the horizon.

Despite the weaving I try and turn it on when I can as I'm hoping that will help Tesla and the car's systems collect valuable data.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
In the 17.14.23 demo we had, the only swerving I noticed was when a 'gap' appeared in the right side of the lane (like when there was an exit ramp). It would seek that for perhaps a second or so. On regular lanes, seemed to be locked right in. I was watching carefully as I'd seen too many YouTube videos of 'hunting' and 'vibrating' lines and wanted to be sure how it worked with 8.1. So, there has to be some variably in hardware or something else going on here...

I have a MX P100D w/ AP Hdw 2.0 and software 8.1 17.11.45 (just installed two days ago). I have just over 6,000 miles since delivery on 12/26/16.

I have noticed a faint weaving back and forth ever since auto steer was first enabled. At 70 MPH or 80 MPH (which I drove at yesterday for 15 miles) the problem persisted. BTW: I keep my windshield's cameras very clean. The weaving was so annoying that I would deactivate auto steer and redo, just to see if I could get it better. Nope. Eventually turned it off as I think the car was freaking out drivers in the cars on each side of me. Lane markers were bright and not faded a bit. I had my distance setting on the AP stalk at either 3 or 4. Road surface was concrete and without problems. It was about 4:30 pm and the sun was off my left side about 30 degrees above the horizon.

Despite the weaving I try and turn it on when I can as I'm hoping that will help Tesla and the car's systems collect valuable data.

Be careful. On one curve my car freaked out while doing the "weaving" (I call it ping ponging) and swerved. I took control but oversteered the correction because it was swerving into a concrete barrier and created a fishtail situation. I steered out of it just fine but the "tension" in the wheel while AS is on makes it hard to take over in an emergency when AS fails. It cannot handle >70mph sometimes. If you do encounter a situation, tap the brake instead of wresting steering away as TACC will remain enabled if you grab the wheel and it makes it harder to gain control. I just wasn't used to the take over procedures of AS and it was a scarier situation than it needed to be.

This was about 5 weeks ago when 17.11.3 was released. Since then it still swerves but not nearly as much and I've never had it actually swerve me into anything. In reality it seems that it handles curves by plotting several straight lines instead of an actual curve. So it zigs and zags across the lane to simulate a turn. Much like rendering a circle with limited dpi results in a jagged "circle." Clearly there is a lot of room for improvement but Tesla seems content on letting the current standard ride out a bit longer.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
I had a loaner for 3 days this week and I noticed it to. It was definite and mostly consistent each day on the highway. My passenger, however, did not notice it until l pointed it out. Then, he said, it was obvious. I hope this gets better because it would get rather old on a long trip.

Latest FW release seems to have improved this significantly. I just drove in to work and had no wandering through sweeping turns on the highway this time.

17.17.4 definitely helped: It basically eliminated the back and forth wandering on straight or nearly straight road segments. On curves, I still find that it navigates through curves by mild jerks of the steering wheel as opposed to a smooth sweeping motion, but it's more "correct" than before (e.g. rarely gets close to the edge of the lane and makes you nervous)

Overall, the new release brings back that feeling of AP1 confidence to 99% of driving scenarios.

17.17.4 definitely helped: It basically eliminated the back and forth wandering on straight or nearly straight road segments. On curves, I still find that it navigates through curves by mild jerks of the steering wheel as opposed to a smooth sweeping motion, but it's more "correct" than before (e.g. rarely gets close to the edge of the lane and makes you nervous)

Overall, the new release brings back that feeling of AP1 confidence to 99% of driving scenarios.

Yes, I still get this. In fact, sometimes the wheel jerks rather abruptly instead of hundreds of tiny jerks. That being said, at least it stays in the lane instead of 17.11.3 where it would still wander out of a curve on the highway and require take over. This seems to be able to be stay in the lane, just by using rather hard jerks on curves.

If you get swaying on straight-aways, I've found resting my hand with more weight calms AS (permanently, it doesn't do that after even when hands off).

So you know it doesn't work in certain situations and is causing a distraction for other drivers, yet you keep using it in those situations? That doesn't sound responsible at all. I wonder if Tesla's vague references to machine learning is encouraging drivers to use their cars irresponsibly, but call it "training." This is why Tesla should be using trained test drivers rather than letting this technology out to the world as a "beta."