Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 can't read speed limits?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Trnsl8r

S85 2012-2018, X90 since 2016, 3 since 2018
Aug 20, 2011
San Jose, CA
We bought an MX with AP2 and it very often gets the speed limit wrong, despite driving by unobscured speed limit signs, regardless of time of day or weather. In our neighborhood the speed limit is 25, but the car thinks it's 30, despite signage. Does the car rely on some (semi-correct) database and doesn't see the signs?

This persisted even after today's software update (enabling first version of EAP). Does anyone else have this experience? Just wanted to check before I email T.

Mine works fine, but only in major cities. (In my case, Toronto, Canada.) If you're in a smaller area, like where I live, it'll take time for Tesla to roll out all the speed limits for every street in smaller towns.
OK, so it sounds like it's based on a database then? I thought the camera actually read the speed limit signs. Other cars do this.

The release notes state that AP2 cars do not currently use the camera to read speed limit signs.
That's good to know. My Model X (with AP1) is very good at displaying accurate speed limit signs, but the Model S loaner (AP2) I'm currently driving, while my X is being serviced, is incorrect much too often - just as the original poster described.