Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 - Definitely heading in the WRONG direction...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
17.17.17 nearly wrecked me today, first it tried to exit every exit when you are in the right lane, lane changes are SO slow you miss out on opportunities unless you do it manually, and lane hunting is WAY worse than previous versions.
After one of the "near exits" from the right lane I re-engaged the autopilot and it jerks the car left and then cancels the autopilot. nearly hit the car next to me

17.17.17 nearly wrecked me today, first it tried to exit every exit when you are in the right lane, lane changes are SO slow you miss out on opportunities unless you do it manually, and lane hunting is WAY worse than previous versions.
After one of the "near exits" from the right lane I re-engaged the autopilot and it jerks the car left and then cancels the autopilot. nearly hit the car next to me

Yours is not the first post I've seen about stuff like this. Really mystifies me. Why some have that problem while others do not.

Just today on 17.17.17 I spend a bit over an hour of freeway driving and the car was well behaved. So well that other than the usual jiggling the wheel in response to "put your hands on the wheel" reminders I didn't have to touch the wheel once. This follows some cross country driving last week with several hours of hands free driving.

Hopefully the update currently being pushed will address your situation.

It is a puzzlement...

That behavior was much more common with the previous firmware, I forget which is current. The current firmware (pre-silky) is less abrupt at lane changes, but yes still way too slow. Some of us don't drive like we're 65 years old.

I have new "silky" on my model x.... not as awesome as was hoped I think. In carpool lane it tried to take every single exit and almost killed a biker who was lane splitting when the lane widened and it slammed towards the right lane when it couldn't see the left side anymore.

I'm hoping the reason this update didn't go out was because it's not the real "silky" one Elon tweeted about.

• Informative
Reactions: mmd
It is a puzzlement...
It certainly is...

I have new "silky" on my model x.... not as awesome as was hoped I think. In carpool lane it tried to take every single exit and almost killed a biker who was lane splitting when the lane widened and it slammed towards the right lane when it couldn't see the left side anymore.

I'm hoping the reason this update didn't go out was because it's not the real "silky" one Elon tweeted about.

Yes. I despise the current behavior for a widening lane, or when there is an improperly perceived widening lane due to left turn lane, merging, etc. The car seems to only look 2 feet ahead of its nose at all times. It needs to see the lane 100 ft in the distance and figure out, wait, the lane isn't actually widening, so I shouldn't swerve to the left simply because there is a temporary gap in the left lane marker. Boils down to shitty programming. This is hardly an edge case.

First week owner here. I'm using AutoPilot (HW2) and even with non-"silky" firmware (I'm on 17.18.50), I am quite impressed so far. I have a 10 mile commute and except for when I use onramps, off-ramps, freeway transitions and am the lead-car at stoplights in-town and other known limitations (it is L2 after all), I use AP the whole way and it is very well behaved.

I'd almost say it is already pretty silky smooth. It holds center lanes very well (doesn't ping pong much at all), has yet to require me to step on the brake because of anything it has done. No "truck lust" (zero). Admittedly 8 of the 10 miles is freeway and so there isn't much surface street driving. Almost every disengagement I have had has been on a secondary (surface) street. On the freeway it is extremely well mannered. I don't ride in the far right lane much (usually is slower there) so I can't speak to whether my car wants to take off-ramps unexpectedly or not. I'll try that out soon. All told, I probably drive 8 of the 10 miles (freeway) with between zero and 1 disengagements. For the other two miles (surface streets), I usually drive it manually but sometimes the AP drives maybe 1 of those 2 miles (but off and on and usually with a couple of disengagements needed).

I understand and respect that your mileage/experience may obviously vary. But for me it is very good already. And if the "silky" update does in fact improve things (as opposed to introducing new problems, which is always a possibility) then (for me) it will be even more outstanding.

So far, my vote for "LOL feature" is the so-called Lane Departure Warning. That seems truly useless and awfully implemented. But AP2 on my car, already :) for the most part.

Don't use it.

At 70mph on the highway last night on a gentle curve, AP2 started suddenly to veer into the semi in the next lane. I took over before waiting to find out how the beta test would resolve. I was shaken to the point of trying the "bug report" command immediately. No "side collision" warnings, no lane keep assist.

Working most of the time isn't a good standard for safety features.

Don't use it.
Yes. That's what we need, people not using AP so that Tesla doesn't discover problems. Such insight. Thank you.

I am a young one at only 65, but thin skinned and seriously offended by that comment :)

However, do agree that sometimes AP drives like an old man (actual age not a determinant).

... and yes, was wondering about 'puzzlement' until the pic of Yule Brinner popped up. I wonder how he drove ...

• Disagree
Reactions: RobertF
I think this goes to show the huge variability that exists out there between each drivers situation and location. The little things I notice with AP1 that it struggles with are going to be very difficult, IMHO, to work out and will take time.

I think both sides are equally valid here, the side that says AP is getting better and the side that says AP isn't getting better or has regressed in some aspects. People can only report on what they experience in their situation which is entirely unique from the next person and so on and so forth...

Jeff

Reactions: oktane
That behavior was much more common with the previous firmware, I forget which is current. The current firmware (pre-silky) is less abrupt at lane changes, but yes still way too slow. Some of us don't drive like we're 65 years old.
When Auto Lane Change first appeared on AP1 cars, the consensus was that it changed lanes too abruptly. A later update lessened the "sharp" lane change. I liked it much better.
I now have an AP2 car, and the lane change is almost identical, "smoother". Abrupt lane changes could be disconcerting if the car was in FSD mode.
I am far away from being an old 65.....I am 61 :-0 and drive 28,000/yr