Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 Driving Courtesy Logic?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today something happened that made me think of yet another entire domain of logic that AP2/FSD will need to learn...driving courtesy.

A driver was ahead of me to the left on a congested highway. AP was on set to 55 but holding 45 because of traffic ahead. The traffic cleared and at the same moment the driver ahead and to the left signaled to come into my lane. He started drifting over and AP decided to accelerate hard -- making me look like a jerk trying to hit him. AP did not care that he was already 1ft into my lane. The car jerked back quickly. I admit I let this happen for about 1 second because I wanted to see if AP would slow for the car coming into my lane. That 1 second delay was too much for the acceleration.

So my question is how will Tesla program AP2 with driving courtesy logic? They estimated Enhanced Auto Pilot would be released in Dec 2016. So far what they release can't even handle a curve in the road or crossing an intersection. It seems like it will be years before Enhanced AP is actually here. It is hard to imagine that they will be able to make AP a good citizen on the road beyond just following all the rules, but also offering a little courtesy to those around it.

Yeah, that was about the first thing I noticed as a new AP2 operator. Cars in adjacent lanes would have their turn signals on to merge into my lane and AP2 would be a jerk and totally ignore them. I'll probably try just lowering the set speed next time, but I was getting pretty good at touching the brakes and then re-starting AP. Wouldn't be too hard to recognize the turn signals and have it make room. (Except for those with following setting 1, in which case it would try to cut off the merging car.)

Today something happened that made me think of yet another entire domain of logic that AP2/FSD will need to learn...driving courtesy.

A driver was ahead of me to the left on a congested highway. AP was on set to 55 but holding 45 because of traffic ahead. The traffic cleared and at the same moment the driver ahead and to the left signaled to come into my lane. He started drifting over and AP decided to accelerate hard -- making me look like a jerk trying to hit him. AP did not care that he was already 1ft into my lane. The car jerked back quickly. I admit I let this happen for about 1 second because I wanted to see if AP would slow for the car coming into my lane. That 1 second delay was too much for the acceleration.

So my question is how will Tesla program AP2 with driving courtesy logic? They estimated Enhanced Auto Pilot would be released in Dec 2016. So far what they release can't even handle a curve in the road or crossing an intersection. It seems like it will be years before Enhanced AP is actually here. It is hard to imagine that they will be able to make AP a good citizen on the road beyond just following all the rules, but also offering a little courtesy to those around it.

Thanks for the post! I felt the same way, wasn't sure if the car would actually stop, to let the other car in as it seemed like I'll hit the car so always break