Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 FSD/AP owners upgrade AP3 (HW3) - Tesla now asking for a fee now - please help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I bought FSD and AutoPilot on my Model X and the hardware that came with is HW2.0. I recall Telsa and some threads here mentioning that those who bought FSD back in days will be automatically upgraded to HW3.0 (AP3) when available. I heard that HW3 is available now on Model X. But now Tesla is asking me for a fee to upgrade.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Is the fee $2,500? There might be a misunderstanding and they think you want to upgrade to MCU2 instead of to HW3.

I have an appointment to get my MCU1/AP2.5 X with FSD upgraded to HW3 on Tuesday, and they sent me a note two days ago saying the upgrade was free.

Hmm, you have AP2 instead of AP2.5...maybe HW3 is not yet available for your configuration, and so the only way to get HW3 now is to also upgrade to MCU2. In which case the fee again would be $2,500.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
from the main screen, go to "software"... you'll picture of your car. Under the Vin is "additional vehicle information" .. .click that
Infotainment processor is the MCU. NVIDIA Tegra is MCU1
Either way, folks have been getting AP3 with MCU1 or MCU2... you got information from someone misinformed

A lot of the Tesla service employees are misinformed or just plain ignorant of the various policies in place for older vehicles. That being said I can't blame them since there have been so many changes and exceptions granted over the years.

I would try asking again with a different person to see if your luck changes - and try to have documentation ready on why you think you are entitled to a free upgrade. They might not budge unless you can point to some hard evidence you should get it for free.

I thought I have MCU2 with FSD and AP2.0. How do I check if I have MCU1 or MCU2?

They said HW3 is available for Model X

If your car was built before February 2018, then it most likely has MCU1.
You can check Additional Vehicle Information to be sure (as mentioned above).
You can upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 ("Infotainment upgrade") for $2500.
The Autopilot upgrade to HW3 is free if you purchased the FSD.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Hi I bought FSD and AutoPilot on my Model X and the hardware that came with is HW2.0. I recall Telsa and some threads here mentioning that those who bought FSD back in days will be automatically upgraded to HW3.0 (AP3) when available. I heard that HW3 is available now on Model X. But now Tesla is asking me for a fee to upgrade.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Your phone app or Tesla account would show you purchased FSD and will get a free (complimentary) upgrade. Below is what my phone app shows in the 'upgrades' area.

Below 'eligibility' via: Full Self-Driving Computer Installations
5YdkJDT.jpg

Tesla Phone app 'upgrades' area. Click on 'purchased' tab.

vq5lHVC.jpg

If your car was built before February 2018, then it most likely has MCU1.
You can check Additional Vehicle Information to be sure (as mentioned above).
You can upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 ("Infotainment upgrade") for $2500.
The Autopilot upgrade to HW3 is free if you purchased the FSD.

Doesn't Tesla have to upgrade the MCU1 to MCU3 inorder to upgrade AP2 to AP3?

Why wait longer for HW3? I assume HW3 = AP3 (if not let me know) thank you again!

If you have AP 2.5 then the only difference from 3.0 is the computer. If you have AP 2.0, then they would need to change the cameras and radar in addition to the upgraded computer.

Basically, in terms of hardware:

AP 1.0 = Old mobile eye platform and will never get FSD due to lack of side cameras.
AP 2.0 = Same cameras and radar as 1.0, with the addition of side cameras
AP 2.5 = Upgraded cameras to full color, updated radar system
AP 3.0 = Same cameras and radar as AP 2.5 but with faster computer

Hi G2019,

When was your car built???

For the older cars Feb 2018 and before - It is more money in Tesla's bank if they
sell you the MCU2 upgrade while they are doing the HW3 upgrade...
That gives those $ added upgrades priority.

Good luck,

Shawn

Hi G2019,

When was your car built???

For the older cars Feb 2018 and before - It is more money in Tesla's bank if they
sell you the MCU2 upgrade while they are doing the HW3 upgrade...
That gives those $ added upgrades priority.

Good luck,

Shawn
My MX was built or delivered in March 2017. So would they still upgrade to HW3 free or would they also upgrade the MCU free?

If you have AP 2.5 then the only difference from 3.0 is the computer. If you have AP 2.0, then they would need to change the cameras and radar in addition to the upgraded computer.

AP 1.0 = Old mobile eye platform and will never get FSD due to lack of side cameras.
You're correct in your description of the various hardware (although for AP2.5 you’re missing the added wiring redundancy for the steering wheel I believe). However, for the AP2.0 -> AP3.0 retrofit, they're not replacing the cameras nor the radar.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Hi @G2019 ,

That means that you have MCU1.
They will upgrade the autopilot computer from HW2 to HW3 for free if you paid for FSD.

The upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 is NOT required to upgrade to HW3.
There are quite a few examples here of people recently having that upgrade performed.

If you wish the speed of processing and the "extras" in the entertainment section
you may wish to upgrade to MCU2 - but you will have to pay $2500 to get it...
I believe that the dash cam function is also included in the MCU2 upgrade...

What ever your upgrade path, your cameras and your radar will NOT be replaced.
Again there are several writers here that have had the upgrades done and the cameras and radar
were not touched, replaced, or upgraded...

Good luck and Godspeed,

Shawn

I have AP2.0 with FSD enabled. So they'll replace all 8 cameras and radars?

Should I wait until AP4/HW4 before I request this complimentary upgrade (looks like I am eligible for the FSD Computer upgrade since I purchased Full Self-Driving Capability and have Autopilot Computer 2.0)

I have AP2.0 with FSD enabled. So they'll replace all 8 cameras and radars?

Should I wait until AP4/HW4 before I request this complimentary upgrade (looks like I am eligible for the FSD Computer upgrade since I purchased Full Self-Driving Capability and have Autopilot Computer 2.0)
Nope, they'll only replace the AP HW2.0 computer with the AP HW3.0 computer. If you pay the $2500 for the Infotainment Upgrade, they'll replace your MCU1 and IC1 with MCU2 and IC2, but they won't replace Tuner1 with Tuner2, so you lose access to AM/FM/XM radio. As of right now, the only people getting the AP HW2.0 -> AP HW3.0 retrofit are the ones who pay for the Infotainment Upgrade. We don't know how long until the retrofit becomes available without the Infotainment Upgrade.

At this time, we have no idea what/when HW4.0 will be, so that deserves it's own thread if you really want to dive into that.

Why wait longer for HW3?
I am not positive, but my impression is that those who ordered Infotainment upgrade (MCU1 -> MCU2) get priority for the AP (HW3) upgrade.
That's based on some reports and my own experience: I waited for many months to get selected for the free HW3 and I finally I got selected for it after I requested the MCU upgrade. Again, I am not sure if that's a rule or just a coincidence.
To be clear, you do not need to purchase MCU2 in order to get AP HW3. I waned both and I am now scheduled for next week! :D

Thanks. Is the upgrade from AP HW2.0 to AP HW3.0 worth the upgrade and can see a decent difference?

Since it's free for you. It's certainly worth it! :)
Certain Autopilot features, especially future features will only be possible with HW3.
If you paid for FSD, you will want to get HW3, sooner or later.

If I upgrade from HW2 to HW3, would I still lose access to AM/FM/XM radio? because we use XM a lot.
No. It's the MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrade that affects your radio.