Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 FSD/AP owners upgrade AP3 (HW3) - Tesla now asking for a fee now - please help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want to get the AP3 computer you will need to wait unless you want the new Center screen computer upgrade (MCU2) They are currently doing AP3 Upgrades with the MCU2 upgrade. You get priority. If you don't want to pay for that upgrade you can wait for your free upgrade without the MCU2 upgrade.

I am on AP 2.5 with MCU1 (Dec 2017 MSD). I used the app to schedule an upgrade appt as I had bought FSD when it was on sale last year. The SC is doing the HW3.0 computer upgrade. They did not talk about the MCU upgrade and I didn't ask either. Will let you folks know how it goes tomorrow.

They've been doing hw2.5 owners to 3 without MCU2 upgrade for a couple of weeks. With the 2020.12 maps update you will have stop sign and light stopping but apparently there is a bug where is ignores cones and MCU1 doesn't display it despite it working with hw2.5. So be careful.

Sure someone will correct but I can’t think of a real reason for you to rush to get the HW3 upgrade until they start releasing more self driving features.
Faster computer means it can process and react faster = safer.

21 times is mentioned in many articles and places including Tesla presentation slides. 2300 / 21 = ~110

Tesla on Twitter
QgjTbDS.jpg

Reactions: Bigriver
Sure someone will correct but I can’t think of a real reason for you to rush to get the HW3 upgrade until they start releasing more self driving features.
I think a good reason would be that he has paid for FSD and is entitled to the free upgrade - I would just get it ASAP as you never know what might happen in Tesla’s future or how long they will be around for (hopefully for the long term). Doesn’t seem to be a good reason to wait?

Going from 2.5 to 3 I got more visualizations (stop signs, traffic cones, traffic lights) and AP now stops at lights and stop signs. Assume this isn’t possible with 2.5 but maybe I am wrong?

Thanks. Is the upgrade from AP HW2.0 to AP HW3.0 worth the upgrade and can see a decent difference?

If I upgrade from HW2 to HW3, would I still lose access to AM/FM/XM radio? because we use XM a lot.
G2019 to try and make it clearer for you this is what you get as you paid for FSD: HW3 AP chip which gives additional visualizations such as stop signs and AP capabilities such as auto stop at stop signs and traffic lights

Pay $2500: Upgrade your MCU1 computer (big central screen) to MCU2. Faster interface when navigating between screens, using web browser, adds Netflix and other infotainment features.

HW3 AP chip does not require MCU2 which is an optional upgrade for you

They've been doing hw2.5 owners to 3 without MCU2 upgrade for a couple of weeks. With the 2020.12 maps update you will have stop sign and light stopping but apparently there is a bug where is ignores cones and MCU1 doesn't display it despite it working with hw2.5. So be careful.

Thanks a lot @croman. Appreciate it.

I got the upgrade done today. Drive experience was pretty much normal like the 2.5 experience. It took about 7 miles for AP to calibrate. I did notice heavier phantom breaking when the cars in the adjacent lane were slowing down. It looks like the map has been updated as well as it did not ask me to switch lane incorrectly while I was on NoA . In the past, it would ask me in a junction to switch lanes and I would ignore it. That was the only visible experience change.

Attached is the display when I go to Software settings and click on Additional Information.

FSDComputerUpgradePic.PNG

Took in my ‘16 MX to get some things identified fix that we identified at delivery last week (yellowing screen border, fwd gasket deterioration, loose wheel well cover). We were willing to pay for MCU2 upgrade, but they said they’d have to order parts so we would have to wait, but the SC offered to do the HW3 retrofit at this time (was already purchased for the car). I am interested to see HW3+MCU1 functionality.

Reactions: johnking
So with the 2500 mcu2 upgrade costs, if you already have FSD, Tesla will also upgrade your HW2 to HW3 also included in the 2500?
Sorry but your question is confusing. When you say you 'already have FSD' do you mean you pre-paid it but do not have it installed? If so that FSD=HW3=AP3 computer install is free no matter what. See this page: Full Self-Driving Computer Installations

If you are going to spend $2.5K and get the MCU1->MCU2 upgrade then they would try to do the FSD install at the same time simply because they have the car apart and can install the software so they get to save time by doing it at once. MCU2 install page: Infotainment Upgrade

FSD is a software upgrade if you have AP2/MCU1. I believe you can have FSD with only AP2, so the question is that if you already have FSD (or purchasing one with FSD), but had only AP2/MCU1, then will they upgrade both at the same time?

FSD is a software upgrade if you have AP2/MCU1. I believe you can have FSD with only AP2, so the question is that if you already have FSD (or purchasing one with FSD), but had only AP2/MCU1, then will they upgrade both at the same time?
Hope this helps.

Your are misunderstanding or misusing the 'FSD' term as it is commonly used which is for the FSD/AP3/HW3 computer and I gave you a link above. FSD is not a software/OTA download.

From link above: "Tesla cars with Full Self-Driving Capability and Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 are eligible for a complimentary upgrade to the FSD Computer."

Also from the other thread you are in (red up arrow below goes there):
Wrong. Recommend you read the link provided by @Bigriver.

And in the future, please add a question mark at the end of a title when you are asking versus telling/informing.

Appreciate it. Things are running fine. Senity mode worked for a few minutes, then stopped working from my 2.0 to 3.0 upgrade. Not sure why

Tried it out my end. Turned on sentry mode and it was on for about 30 mins and then I turned it off as the car is garaged at home. Usually they remove the USB before they do any work in the Service Center (SC). I usually take my USB off and then hand over the car. May not be a bad idea to format your USB onceaonce again andsand if this is resolved. - John