Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 FSD/AP owners upgrade AP3 (HW3) - Tesla now asking for a fee now - please help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried it out my end. Turned on sentry mode and it was on for about 30 mins and then I turned it off as the car is garaged at home. Usually they remove the USB before they do any work in the Service Center (SC). I usually take my USB off and then hand over the car. May not be a bad idea to format your USB onceaonce again andsand if this is resolved. - John

I meant USB memory stick .

Tried it out my end. Turned on sentry mode and it was on for about 30 mins and then I turned it off as the car is garaged at home. Usually they remove the USB before they do any work in the Service Center (SC). I usually take my USB off and then hand over the car. May not be a bad idea to format your USB onceaonce again andsand if this is resolved. - John
Sanity mode is not working for me again... Any suggestions?

Technically a HW2.0 AP2 car does not get new HW2.5/HW3.0 cameras with the new computer so it does not become HW3.0 cars. You can call it AP3 but its not HW3.0. HW2.5 become HW3.0 when they get the AP3 computer. HW3.0 cars already are HW3.0 because they come with the AP3 computer.

I'm in the market for a 2017+ MX 100D. I'm eyeing one on Tesla's website that has a build date of 5/2017. In the description in the attached image, it says "Full Self-Driving Capability". It's my understanding that this particular car has AP2 but has MCU2. If I purchased this car, would I be eligible for the free HW3/AP3 upgrade?

Thanks for your input!

Full Self-Driving Computer Installations

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 9.39.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 9.39.07 PM.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 85
As of right now, the only people getting the AP HW2.0 -> AP HW3.0 retrofit are the ones who pay for the Infotainment Upgrade. We don't know how long until the retrofit becomes available without the Infotainment Upgrade.
This is not accurate. I received my ap2 to ap3 computer upgrade without MCU2 back in June. I was invited from Tesla. But, I was one of the first delivered ap2 cars with FSD, 12/2/2016. They are upgrading in order of your original delivery and purchase of FSD.

I'm in the market for a 2017+ MX 100D. I'm eyeing one on Tesla's website that has a build date of 5/2017. In the description in the attached image, it says "Full Self-Driving Capability". It's my understanding that this particular car has AP2 but has MCU2. If I purchased this car, would I be eligible for the free HW3/AP3 upgrade?

Thanks for your input!

Full Self-Driving Computer Installations
With that build date and the specs show Full Self-Driving Capability, it should have AP2.0 or 2.5 with MCU1. And it is eligible for the HW3 upgrade for free.

Thanks for the response. I thought that X’s built after April 2017 had MCU2 already? Is that not correct?

No. My MX that I just bought is June 2017 and has MCU1 (no Netflix etc). I booked in for both AP3 and MCU2 upgrade the day after I picked it up. They scheduled the AP3 upgrade for October 1 but said the MCU2 will take longer and they'll contact me when they can do it.

With that build date and the specs show Full Self-Driving Capability, it should have AP2.0 or 2.5 with MCU1. And it is eligible for the HW3 upgrade for free.
I wouldn’t be so sure. The wording says that it has full self driving capability, not that the FSD option has been paid for and is actually activated. If the FSD option isn’t active, the upgrade won’t be free.

No. My MX that I just bought is June 2017 and has MCU1 (no Netflix etc). I booked in for both AP3 and MCU2 upgrade the day after I picked it up. They scheduled the AP3 upgrade for October 1 but said the MCU2 will take longer and they'll contact me when they can do it.
Thanks for letting me know. So AP3 is free and MCU2 is $2500, correct?
I wouldn’t be so sure. The wording says that it has full self driving capability, not that the FSD option has been paid for and is actually activated. If the FSD option isn’t active, the upgrade won’t be free.
I was worried about this, too.
April 2018.
Thank you. Perhaps I'm confusing Lifetime Supercharging around the early 2017 time frame?
If/when a Tesla listing mentions FSD capability, that means it’s activated.
Thanks for that. It's interesting how it's worded. They all have the "capability". It's whether they are activated or not. Hoping you're right about that. I will have to ask them.

Thanks for that. It's interesting how it's worded. They all have the "capability". It's whether they are activated or not. Hoping you're right about that. I will have to ask them.
Exactly how I interpret it in terms of wording, they are all capable, doesn’t mean the feature is activated. I would get it in writing if I were you rather than listening to random strangers posting on an Internet forum. Been a lot of horror stories on here of people buying a car believing certain features are activated or come with the car only to end up in dispute with Tesla.

Exactly how I interpret it in terms of wording, they are all capable, doesn’t mean the feature is activated. I would get it in writing if I were you rather than listening to random strangers posting on an Internet forum. Been a lot of horror stories on here of people buying a car believing certain features are activated or come with the car only to end up in dispute with Tesla.

Believe what you want, but it's enabled on those vehicles. When Tesla calls it "Full Self-Driving Capability", that means the vehicle has the FSD package and is enabled. Period.

Here it is on my Model X's MVPA.
Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 2.15.18 AM.png

Oh, wait a second, it's on my Model 3's purchase agreement, too.

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 2.17.37 AM.png

Trust me - "Full Self-Driving Capability" means it's bought and paid for.