Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 - FSD transfer questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably because he has previously promised, explicitly, new features are coming this year for FSD

I think that's the reason.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Musk is asked when HW3 is coming, if all 2.x FSD-paid owners get it free..

and then another guy further asks "any idea when the first software update will be that has content exclusively for full self driving-optioned customers?"

So that's probably why people think they will get new FSD features this year.

Elon Musk explicitly told them they would.

In fact, he's now late...again... on delivering in that 4-6 month timeline. I guess he did say "probably" at least.

Hope this clears up your confusion!

This does, thanks. Given his most recent timeframe, I just don't see how features will arrive before its complete. This isn't like EAP, its being billed as FSD. I would imagine he's realized that since last August, that regulators play a much more prominent role here.

I was using the SAE L5 definition when I said it's going to be too far away.

And, that's why they needed something more tangible as a goal. So that would be L3, and that's when we can read a book.

My prediction for that is two years away. I'm concerned that it might not happen (it depends on how well NoA improves), and whether the rear facing cameras are good enough that rear radar isnt needed. It also depends heavily on the rear camera blackout issue being fixed with HW3. But, at least its plausible.
He actually did mention that, indirectly. He said by EOY 2019 the car would successfully navigate point A to point B but there would be the edge cases, as we've seen with NoA, so driver 'involvement' aka hand on the wheel, would be required. However only slightly less positive was EOY 2020 it would be ready, save regulator approval, to read a book or take a nap. So, yes, that is slightly less than the 2 yrs you mentioned but radically less than the 10-15 year Ben Sullins swears by.

He pretty much did state HW3 is a prereq. He said it wouldn't work without the new chip assembly. Further, it's been reported elsewhere for a few months now that the HW3 would start being installed on existing FSD owners, I think it was, this quarter. What is not clear is how those with EAP only will be able to get the upgraded hardware without buying FSD after the fact.
No, he did state about getting it to work on HW 2.5, in that same podcast. He is building on HW3, then they've gotta figure out how to port it over to the weaker hardware.

Tesla will run into quite a bit of trouble if they don't build any features on HW 2.5, as they literally, to this day, advertise a Model 3 as coming standard with hardware capable of FSD capabilities. That's the reason I DIDN'T buy the FSD option.

This does, thanks. Given his most recent timeframe, I just don't see how features will arrive before its complete. This isn't like EAP, its being billed as FSD. I would imagine he's realized that since last August, that regulators play a much more prominent role here.
I am not 100% positive but I seem to recall last summer or maybe early fall, Congress took over regulatory control of autonomous vehicles, which make sense rather than having 50 different jurisdictions in the US. There are many FSD owners out here. The EAP and no EAP owners obviously can not participate. I would bet it will certainly be incremental, especially where HW3 hardware will start getting installed most any time now. Tesla has already petitioned the gov for an exemption to bring in the HW3 chips from China w/o the tariff penalty.

No, he did state about getting it to work on HW 2.5, in that same podcast. He is building on HW3, then they've gotta figure out how to port it over to the weaker hardware.

Tesla will run into quite a bit of trouble if they don't build any features on HW 2.5, as they literally, to this day, advertise a Model 3 as coming standard with hardware capable of FSD capabilities. That's the reason I DIDN'T buy the FSD option.
Honestly, I don't recall him saying that. Not saying he didn't just not to my recollection in the podcast I referred to. It's been widely reported it will need the V3 chip assembly and that upgrade is free to those having preordered FSD. EAP does not need it. You may likely find ordering FSD, in the upgrade case, includes the HW3 chip assembly. But, you'll pay more than you would have if you had paid the original $3k. Check out the latest M3OC vid, they do talk about this and urge anyone thinking about FSD to upgrade now. Price will go up the closer it is to being ready. So if you haven't seen that latest 'episode' it is pretty good.

Pretty easily.

For example reading speed limit signs, or stop sign recognition at level 2.

0 new regulation is required for either feature.

Really almost no feature issued at level 2 (driver is still required to pay attention at all times and be 'in control' of the car) requires new regulation.

Nope.

FSD requires HW3. Period full stop. Tesla and Elon have been very clear on this point for a while now.

HW2.5 never gets more than EAP (which is almost entirely feature complete at this point).

Tesla will run into quite a bit of trouble if they don't build any features on HW 2.5, as they literally, to this day, advertise a Model 3 as coming standard with hardware capable of FSD capabilities.

The sensor suite isn't changing for FSD- just the computer.

And if you buy FSD you get the computer upgrade free.

That's the reason I DIDN'T buy the FSD option.

...you didn't buy FSD because the car came with the hardware to....do FSD?

If you're not buying the feature why would you care if it had the HW to do it or not?

I am not 100% positive but I seem to recall last summer or maybe early fall, Congress took over regulatory control of autonomous vehicles

No such thing happened.

There's been a lot of PROPOSALS at the federal level... and some "guidelines" holding no force of law... but that's about it.

This is all still regulated at the state by state level... (and in many states self driving vehicles are already legal- usually with the requirement that they obey all requirements currently on the books for a normally driven car).

So in some states there's already no "regulatory approval" needed if Elon actually gets FSD to work correctly.

The only thing his "waiting for regulatory" comment makes any sense about is that there's a couple dozen other states with almost nothing on the books for self driving (or maybe waiting for the feds to officially regulate it- but congress can't blow its own nose these days so don't hold your breath for that)

So can anyone definitively say whether I can "upgrade" my AP2.0 S to FSD now? It is NOT available on the web in my account. Can this still be added by phone?? I've seen it both ways in this thread. Can anyone upgrade from the online account anymore?
It was probably just a fluke as they were making changes on the site for hours yesterday. I still see the FSD upgrade available on my old AP2 car. If you check again, is it back?

Great thanks
There is another tread that I just saw that people are getting it for free! I’ll wait few days to see what happens.
Would you point us to the other thread? I am unaware of anyone getting it for free. I am, however, disappointed, EAP only purchasers get, according to some yesterday, 98% of FSD without paying for FSD. I am hopeful Tesla will rethink that and call their placing NoA under EAP an extended preview.