Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 (HW2) to HW3 (no MCU2 upgrade)

AP2 Owners ONLY -- FSD only or MCU2?

• FSD Only

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • MCU2

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have experience with upgrading to just AP-HW3 with MCU1 and then upgrading to MCU2 after? Particularly interested in what changes you get other than speed and Netflix functionality. My dash videos are super choppy with MCU1 and AP-HW3, wondering if the MCU2 upgrade makes a big difference.

havent had a chance to read this ENTIRE thread yet. But as someone with a 2017 90D with 5500 miles on the car, and who recently went to HW3 FSD upgrade but kept his MCU1 (for now), seems I may be noticing a pattern.

When I have my USB (Sandisk 128gb thats on Tesla's recommended list) plugged in for dashcam/sentry? Appears my MCU is slower. Did some informal testing and finding that when I have the USB plugged in, voice commands (for example) are very sluggush as is refresh of the map.

When I remove the USB, after a few mins, the voice/map refresh becomes much quicker. Almost pre FSD upgrade levels.

This all in my mind, or has anyone else observed this?

I had HW3 put in a about a month ago, kept MCU1.

The MCU is clearly slower - like searching navigation takes at least 30-60 seconds now to find anything.
I've also had more lockups/random reboots. At least 2-3 in the past month.

I do have a USB in there for dashcam and have not tried removing that yet.

• Informative
Reactions: 2101Guy
I have a 2017 S100D with MCU1 and my car is scheduled to get only the HW3 upgrade. Have you had any issues since your upgrade?

Sorry, I started the thread set on MCU1 but as information trickled out about the limitations inherent to mcu1, I decided to upgrade. I've heard issues with mcu1 and HW3 but also that the AP experience is better. Dashcam and sentry recording work but dashcam is choppy. Mcu2 has no limitations.

havent had a chance to read this ENTIRE thread yet. But as someone with a 2017 90D with 5500 miles on the car, and who recently went to HW3 FSD upgrade but kept his MCU1 (for now), seems I may be noticing a pattern.

When I have my USB (Sandisk 128gb thats on Tesla's recommended list) plugged in for dashcam/sentry? Appears my MCU is slower. Did some informal testing and finding that when I have the USB plugged in, voice commands (for example) are very sluggush as is refresh of the map.

When I remove the USB, after a few mins, the voice/map refresh becomes much quicker. Almost pre FSD upgrade levels.

This all in my mind, or has anyone else observed this?

It's reported that upgrade the eMMC to a faster version goes some way to improving performance.

I am scheduled to get the FSD upgrade on July 2nd for my Dec 2016 Model X with AP2.0 hardware and MCU1.
Here are the parts that Tesla is ordering for upgrade:
  1. ASSY,AUTOPILOT.ECU,3.0, MSX-FUSED
    Part #: 1655000-70-I
  2. NUT,HEX-FLNG,M5X.8,STL,ZNC,NYLOCK
    Part #: 1012845-00-A
  3. ASY,HARN,HW3,RETROFIT,MSMX
    Part #: 1507950-00-A
Overall, the MCU1 seems to have slowed down appreciably over the last year. Hoping it will not get worse after AP3.

I did the same thing, keeping MCU1. However, I've got major slowdown issues, sometimes, the navigation would not load, voice input would not work... I cleared up all the nav. history to make them all "work", the other thing I observed was it takes about 5 minutes to reboot the big display... on top of the "slow down/mcu1 resource low" issues, my hw3 is still going through camera calibration, it stuck at 97-99%. Tesla is now getting another HW3 for me. Not sure if that will fix the issues.