Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 (HW2) to HW3 (no MCU2 upgrade)

AP2 Owners ONLY -- FSD only or MCU2?

• FSD Only

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • MCU2

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

croman

Nov 21, 2016
Chicago, IL
I decided to save the $2500 and just request the HW3 upgrade since Tesla gave me a new MCU1 and it works great. I won't play games or use the browser in my car anyways and I only wanted MCU2 to "future proof" my vehicle and keep it on track for all the updates. I was also unclear what "enhanced" driving visualizations were and wrongly thought stop lights and signs might be displayed differently.

After seeing HW2.5 owners with MCU1 getting the HW3 hardware and FSD features, I believe FSD will be adequately implemented on MCU1 for the near short term (3 years or so). I believe there is no need to spend $2500 to not spend time with my family on road trips (we always enjoy each supercharging stop and with older batteries, we will definitely need to maintain that attitude) or have fancy walking people on my IC (or lane markings).

As long as it functions the same, I see little benefit to MCU2 as compared to my MCU1 for the next 3 years. As Tesla has curtailed many unnecessary logging functions, I expect the new MCU1 to last longer than my prior one.

That being said, I am curious how many agree that MCU1 is all they need or how many are thinking of upgrading their older cars to be more like factory new vehicles being produced today. It is great to have that option.

Tesla's Full Self Driving retrofit site declares "late may" as when HW2 vehicles are eligible for the upgrade and I book my appointment for June 5.

After speaking with my service advisor for my failed infotainment upgrade, I understand my car's VIN is "grayed out" for HW3 at the moment. I believe they think it will be available in June but I am prepared to be told to wait another month (or more!).

I believe no one has gotten a HW3 computer working with a HW2 vehicle without MCU2, so I am interested in creating a thread for HW2 owners to share their HW3 upgrades when they opt to maintain MCU1.

Hopefully we can share part numbers and experiences to coordinate a service center response much like with MCU2 upgrades (which is still uneven and rocky). I also wanted to see how many people got mobile service to do the work as I believe FSD computer retrofit only is mobile capable for S/X HW2.5 cars.

Another part of this thread is to express some frustration with this entire process. I bought my car because of the infamous misleading FSD video.

Hopefully there are lots of owners, like me, that sunk a lot of money into FSD and want to coordinate together to finally get what we paid for. Tesla owes this to us (without another $2500 for those that don't want the infotainment upgrade benefits).

This is the definition of entitlement because we are legally entitled to it but Tesla has delayed us to the end. I believe there is nothing technical from Tesla retrofitting our vehicles but I also think they've had our money for so long they might not remember or appreciate it. That's how I feel and I want to just get the hardware and stop being left behind.

Just to recap various threads:

MCU1+AP2 -> MCU2+AP3
One accidental(?) service resulted in reduced color dashcam (i.e., no upgraded cameras) but shows FSD visualizations
Honolulu SC just completed my MCU2 Upgrade
It's official! Tesla website says HW2.0 cars "scheduling now" for MCU2 upgrade!

MCU1+AP2.5 -> MCU1+AP3
Several confirmations of reduced FSD visualizations (no cones, mostly no road markings) but turning on Stop Control does visualize traffic lights, stop signs, stop lines, STOP markings
Any HW3 updates to MCU1 Model X or Model s?
HW3 Upgrade from HW 2.5 with MCU1

So speculating MCU1+AP2 -> MCU1+AP3 could be no upgraded cameras that are still able to detect and visualize traffic light colors fine. I also bought the car based on the FSD video, so that's what I'm interested in getting and not the infotainment updates.

Interestingly, on Full Self-Driving Computer Installations support page where AP2 is currently expected availability "Global Late May," it includes AP2.5 "Model S and Model X - Built between mid-January 2018 and March 2018" so a few months of production seem to have slightly different hardware of unknown(?) changes. (Also on that page: "Will the FSD Computer make my car fully autonomous? Not yet.")

Last edited:
And my service center cancelled my appointment and said no dice on HW2 FSD installs for at least a month.

Not really surprised that Tesla really only wants FSD for AP2 owners who pay even more. The interest free money seems to have made them even more insatiable.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
The only problem with the poll is OP has a new MCU1 so fear of second failure is years away. I probably wouldn’t upgrade my S’ MCU1 if I was in that club, but mine is 3.5 years old and warranty coverage is done in 6 months. So the $2500 for MCU2 with a four year warranty is much more enticing, especially since I am now dropping plans for the costly extended warranty. (Yes, I do know door handles and other bits are expensive to fix, too.)

As for other factors, I do like watching Netflix etc when waiting for my wife and appreciate the much better screen response in my MCU2 Model 3.

Reactions: cuspie
The only problem with the poll is OP has a new MCU1 so fear of second failure is years away. I probably wouldn’t upgrade my S’ MCU1 if I was in that club, but mine is 3.5 years old and warranty coverage is done in 6 months. So the $2500 for MCU2 with a four year warranty is much more enticing, especially since I am now dropping plans for the costly extended warranty. (Yes, I do know door handles and other bits are expensive to fix, too.)

As for other factors, I do like watching Netflix etc when waiting for my wife and appreciate the much better screen response in my MCU2 Model 3.

Before my MCU1 was replaced I tried for MCU2 because it was more economical than eventual MCU1 replacement.

Basically I'm just wondering who doesn't mind the decreased visualizations, features and potential to be marginalized by Tesla like AP1 or non AP cars (or AP2 really).

It's very simple. If you have an extra $2500 available and don't have any concerns with spending that much money, you should really consider the Infotainment Upgrade along with your HW3 install. We all know what you get right now in terms of capabilities, but there will be many other software update with features that WILL require MCU2. We don't know what the future holds, but more than not everything cool going forward will require MCU2.

Sentry/Dashcam Saved Video viewer requires MCU2 and that is a pretty convenient thing to have to begin with.

Reactions: PhaseWhite
It's very simple. If you have an extra $2500 available and don't have any concerns with spending that much money, you should really consider the Infotainment Upgrade along with your HW3 install. We all know what you get right now in terms of capabilities, but there will be many other software update with features that WILL require MCU2. We don't know what the future holds, but more than not everything cool going forward will require MCU2.

Sentry/Dashcam Saved Video viewer requires MCU2 and that is a pretty convenient thing to have to begin with.

Just wait until mcu3. Going to be fun.

My Sept 2017 MS shows hrdw 2.5 and has MCU 1, I purchased FSD, but Tesla app says I have no upgrades available. Where is my MCU 2 upgrade offer?

you have to submit a service request with Other directly from the app and ask tell them you want to purchase the $2500 Infotainment Upgrade.

The Upgrade tab in the app is only for software updates.

• Informative
Reactions: nsxpert