Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 (HW2) to HW3 (no MCU2 upgrade)

AP2 Owners ONLY -- FSD only or MCU2?

• FSD Only

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • MCU2

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update. Mobile tech came out and said the part they had was compatible with HW2 upgrade. Upon removing glovebox and some trim realized there is an additional cable/harness required for the HW2 version as the connectors are on the other side and require longer cable. He had service center look but none were in stock so they are ordering that part and then will come back out and try again.

Hmm... Wonder if that is what happened to me? I bought a 2017 with FSD earlier this month and was supposed to pick it up today. Yesterday they called and said they were upgrading to HW3 and I could get pick her up this weekend. Today they called and rescheduled me for next Wednesday. I thought they broke a trim piece but now hoping they just need a new cable :p

Alright, just returned from the service center with my FSD upgrade for my May 2017 S AP2.0 and it went well. Took all day and they had some software push issues but it was the first one done at the Santa Barbara service center. A few things to point out:

1. Dashcam/Sentry mode!!
- Finally we have this even with the old MCU. Works fine and the USB format tool works. No dash cam viewer. Video quality is great, just weird coloring but it really doesn’t bother me at all.

2. Visualizations are there but spotty. About as responsive as before but just more of them. I do see the stop signs/lights and stop lines. I haven’t driven by cones yet so not sure about that or trash cans

3. AP feels more confident, but I hate that comment, so I’ll just say it’s great and the latest update seemed to really solidify some things.

that’s about all I have for now but I’m pretty pumped! Going out for a recon drive now!

Alright, just returned from the service center with my FSD upgrade for my May 2017 S AP2.0 and it went well. Took all day and they had some software push issues but it was the first one done at the Santa Barbara service center. A few things to point out:

1. Dashcam/Sentry mode!!
- Finally we have this even with the old MCU. Works fine and the USB format tool works. No dash cam viewer. Video quality is great, just weird coloring but it really doesn’t bother me at all.

2. Visualizations are there but spotty. About as responsive as before but just more of them. I do see the stop signs/lights and stop lines. I haven’t driven by cones yet so not sure about that or trash cans

3. AP feels more confident, but I hate that comment, so I’ll just say it’s great and the latest update seemed to really solidify some things.

that’s about all I have for now but I’m pretty pumped! Going out for a recon drive now!
Can you please post your service invoice for part numbers?
Thanks

1. Dashcam/Sentry mode!!

Great! finally answer about Dashcam/sentry mode. Thanks! Makes decision for not upgrading MCU easier.

Hey byeLT4 I'm in the same boat. I ordered a 11.16 MS with fsd already on it about a month ago. It's here now and the service center told me it's not ready for delivery yet because they're installing 3.0 but they are waiting for a wiring harness. I actually would rather not be one of the first hw 2 to 3 upgrade done at the service center but oh well! It's new to me so hw 2 or 3 would have been both exciting to have in my first Tesla to drive around and use!

• Love
Reactions: byeLT4
@NguyenA1 I cannot imagine waiting that long. I've already paid the car off and to ship they require insurance so the car is MINE!! I seriously hate the wait. I have already been up to Austin twice to see it and that is about a 5 hour roundtrip for me. I wonder is there is anyway we can skip this upgrade, at least until they have the parts ready to do it.... I guess we can continue this in message, sorry everyone :p

Back on topic- There was a small plastic bag in the cup holder of my car that wasn't there the first time I saw it. I wonder if this is the necessary cable? I could only make out 'Los Angeles' on it (couldn't get in the car). Hoping since there is someone who has successfully had this done parts are at least on the way.

Interesting! Good luck!

Pretty sure we go to the same service center. My wife's 3 was in for the FSD upgrade and I asked them about doing my AP2/MCU1 upgrade. They said, "sure, keep the loaner and bring it back when you pick up the 3". I did that... Once they completed the FSD upgrade on my MCU1 S, I picked it up. It did confirm FSD computer, but oddly enough the display was in night mode. I asked them and they suggested a scroll wheel reboot. I did that, and it fixed the night mode. Started driving down the street and noticed that the GPS was not working... still stuck on the SC. So, I took it back. They ended up keeping the car (it's there now) and texted me that they have to get engineering involved. So we will see what happens....

• Informative
Reactions: croman
There was a small plastic bag in the cup holder of my car that wasn't there the first time I saw it. I wonder if this is the necessary cable? I could only make out 'Los Angeles' on it (couldn't get in the car). Hoping since there is someone who has successfully had this done parts are at least on the way.
Small bag in the cup holder may have been one of the cables for the phone charger. The car comes with two cables -- one with a lightning connector and one with a micro-USB connector. No idea for sure but when I got my car, one was installed and the other was in a bag. Either way, good luck with the car. It's worth the wait!

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
Here is the invoice from my service appointment for the FSD upgrade. Let me know if you need anything else provided:
upload_2020-6-1_8-3-25.png

So you have AP2.5 not AP2.0?
jfarlow12 has a May 2017 S, which would suggest AP2.0 as AP2.5 started August 2017 and additionally mentioned dashcam with "weird coloring" which also points towards AP2.0 RCCC cameras (vs AP2.5+ RCCB). Although indeed strange that the invoice says "Autopilot 2.5" where likely the part is the same and maybe the description just needs to be updated to mention "Autopilot 2.0 and 2.5." What probably happened was that Tesla software wasn't ready to handle MCU1+AP2.0 -> MCU1+FSD computer even though the hardware was ready.

1. Dashcam/Sentry mode!!
Interesting that Dashcam/Sentry works as the support page seems to suggest it requires MCU2: "The FSD Computer upgrade does enable recording from all cameras with Sentry Mode and DashCam for vehicles previously equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and paired with the Infotainment Upgrade." Full Self-Driving Computer Installations Although this does seem to be consistent with MCU1+AP2.5 supporting dashcam as 2.5 over 2.0 added the redundant processor (indicating it's not a MCU1 limitation).

Last edited:
Reactions: croman
jfarlow12 has a May 2017 S, which would suggest AP2.0 as AP2.5 started August 2017 and additionally mentioned dashcam with "weird coloring" which also points towards AP2.0 RCCC cameras (vs AP2.5+ RCCB). Although indeed strange that the invoice says "Autopilot 2.5" where likely the part is the same and maybe the description just needs to be updated to mention "Autopilot 2.0 and 2.5." What probably happened was that Tesla software wasn't ready to handle MCU1+AP2.0 -> MCU1+FSD computer even though the hardware was ready.

Interesting that Dashcam/Sentry works as the support page seems to suggest it requires MCU2: "The FSD Computer upgrade does enable recording from all cameras with Sentry Mode and DashCam for vehicles previously equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and paired with the Infotainment Upgrade." Full Self-Driving Computer Installations Although this does seem to be consistent with MCU1+AP2.5 supporting dashcam as 2.5 over 2.0 added the redundant processor (indicating it's not a MCU1 limitation).
Here is the invoice from my service appointment for the FSD upgrade. Let me know if you need anything else provided:
View attachment 546752
I am scheduled for FSD upgrade (no MCU 2) and my invoice looks different than @jfarlow12
Screenshot_20200601-171245.png