Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 (HW2) to HW3 (no MCU2 upgrade)

AP2 Owners ONLY -- FSD only or MCU2?

• FSD Only

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • MCU2

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry late to the game here.
Yes, I definitely have AP2.0 and the part number is misleading. Even though it says 2.5, talking with the service center it’s the same part, they just had to do some different wiring. Maybe they didn’t add some special harness required on the invoice?

also, I definitely have dashcam and sentry mode recordings now after upgrading to the FSD computer whereas before i just got fake readings.

• Informative
Reactions: am_dmd
OK, mine is finished.

Picked it up, and had to calibrate. Drove until it calibrated, and then was able to turn on Autopilot. It does not show the traffic cones or garbage cans, but does seem to show more cars, and seems to be smoother on the instrument cluster. The Autopilot seemed a little more confident and/or smoother, as well, but ever so slight. Not a major difference.

I did confirm that both dash cam and sentry seem to work, although there is no viewer, so you have to pull the USB old school style.

The Service Center was great!

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• IMG_5078.jpg
    IMG_5078.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_5079.jpg
    IMG_5079.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_5077.jpg
    IMG_5077.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_5073.jpg
    IMG_5073.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_5070.jpg
    IMG_5070.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_5076.jpg
    IMG_5076.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_5075.jpg
    IMG_5075.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_5080.jpg
    IMG_5080.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_5071.jpg
    IMG_5071.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 140
OK, mine is finished.

Picked it up, and had to calibrate. Drove until it calibrated, and then was able to turn on Autopilot. It does not show the traffic cones or garbage cans, but does seem to show more cars, and seems to be smoother on the instrument cluster. The Autopilot seemed a little more confident and/or smoother, as well, but ever so slight. Not a major difference.

I did confirm that both dash cam and sentry seem to work, although there is no viewer, so you have to pull the USB old school style.

The Service Center was great!

Here are some pics:
Did your cameras fully calibrate yet? I cannot do smart summon yet and mine still says calibration at 67% in the autopilot settings. Not sure if you have been able to smart summon

I'm glad it has sentry and dash cam footage even if it requires removing the USB stick to watch! Glad I don't need to install a dash cam my self. I've done front ones in my other cars but not rears and didn't really look forward to running the wires myself. Hopefully me and @byeLT4 get our ordered model s soon to tinker around with ap 3.0!

• Love
Reactions: byeLT4
This is probably a long shot but any chance one pedal driving was included with FSD?
Kinda yes… if you turn on Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control and activate TACC, the car will smartly stop at the line (smarter than Hold stopping mode).

I'm guessing it has more to do with the Raven drive unit but I'm still hopeful...
Nod, the Autopilot braking will probably end up using brake pads without the permanent magnet motor.

Mine scheduled for 06/09 at Paramus NJ SC at 2pm. They said it would take more than 4 hours and would need the car for 2 days. the part list on the estimated invoice shows only one part but for others it there were couple more parts. Also, I have HW2.0 as a July 2017 build and dont' have dashcam/sentry as of today. Asked SC about the part number stating 2.5 but they said it's the only CODE they have to use on the invoices so I'm all set. Will report back once done.
Inv.png

Mine scheduled for 06/09 at Paramus NJ SC at 2pm. They said it would take more than 4 hours and would need the car for 2 days. the part list on the estimated invoice shows only one part but for others it there were couple more parts. Also, I have HW2.0 as a July 2017 build and dont' have dashcam/sentry as of today. Asked SC about the part number stating 2.5 but they said it's the only CODE they have to use on the invoices so I'm all set. Will report back once done.
View attachment 549143

FYI. You might want to confirm they have the harness required for the AP2 upgrades. They came out the first time without it and had to stop, order it, and then wait for the part to arrive. Here is the invoice for my AP2 upgrade with the additional parts they said are required.

upload_2020-6-8_11-26-39.png

• Informative
Reactions: StefanSarzio
FYI. You might want to confirm they have the harness required for the AP2 upgrades. They came out the first time without it and had to stop, order it, and then wait for the part to arrive. Here is the invoice for my AP2 upgrade with the additional parts they said are required.

View attachment 549150

Thanks for the info. I sent them over and they said they have it in stock, just not added as part of invoice.

Reactions: croman
I already have my S75 2017 for FSD upgrade at Paramus NJ SC today and hopefully will get it back tomorrow as per their estimate. What if someone gets just the FSD upgrade now and decides to upgrade the MCU1 to MCU2 at a later point. Are there any downsides to doing it, do we have to pay more ?

I already have my S75 2017 for FSD upgrade at Paramus NJ SC today and hopefully will get it back tomorrow as per their estimate. What if someone gets just the FSD upgrade now and decides to upgrade the MCU1 to MCU2 at a later point. Are there any downsides to doing it, do we have to pay more ?

Still only 2500. Only risk is Tesla stops doing the retrofit.

Reactions: c0smicdirt
Of course Tesla can raise the price anytime they want to (or lower it)....

Got my HW3 upgrade today at the Bellevue, WA SC on my 11/16 AP2.0 P100DL. They also UV treated my MCU1 screen and got rid of the yellow ring. Cameras are calibrated now after 10 mile drive, and I'm glad that the Dashcam feature is now enabled as well. Haven't driven enough to notice much difference yet, but glad to get everything done quickly in less than a day. Kudos to the Bellevue SC!

Got my HW3 upgrade today at the Bellevue, WA SC on my 11/16 AP2.0 P100DL. They also UV treated my MCU1 screen and got rid of the yellow ring. Cameras are calibrated now after 10 mile drive, and I'm glad that the Dashcam feature is now enabled as well. Haven't driven enough to notice much difference yet, but glad to get everything done quickly in less than a day. Kudos to the Bellevue SC!

Exactly the same with my Model X in Vancouver. They also got rid of the yellow ring without me even asking for it! I think the animations work bit better.

Reactions: chingwodapigu