Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 (HW2) to HW3 (no MCU2 upgrade)

AP2 Owners ONLY -- FSD only or MCU2?

• FSD Only

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • MCU2

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 2017 S with AP2/MCU1 had the FSD computer upgrade yesterday, without upgrading the MCU (which we would have done, if we could get the MCU2 radio).

Haven't had a chance to try it out yet and compare AutoPilot with our 2018 X which had the FSD upgrade several months ago.

Reactions: brkaus
I am in the same boat as the OP where I have AP2/MCU1 looking to upgrade to HW3/AP3. I am inclined to make this upgrade but don't feel compelled to upgrade the MCU. My car still has about 6 months of warranty left on it. Has anyone been successful in getting a warranty replacement from MCU1 to MCU2? I have a few issues which might be MCU related and wondering how willing Tesla is to make this upgrade?

When my MCU1 failed 2 months ago I tried to get Tesla to at least give me mcu2 but no dice. They gave me a fresh mcu1 on their dime. They could've easily saved themselves money and I was willing to pay for MCU2 to avoid getting a mcu1 I thought was a ticking time bomb. So I don't think they will do 1 to 2 even with a warranty based on my experience.

Maybe the NHSTA investigation changes that.

When my MCU1 failed 2 months ago I tried to get Tesla to at least give me mcu2 but no dice. They gave me a fresh mcu1 on their dime. They could've easily saved themselves money and I was willing to pay for MCU2 to avoid getting a mcu1 I thought was a ticking time bomb. So I don't think they will do 1 to 2 even with a warranty based on my experience.

Or maybe they would do this upgrade “now”.

Quite a bit has changed on which cars could upgrade these last couple months. Initially my car was not able to get the upgrade when it was in for some minor maintenance last month. Now I can bring it in anytime to do the upgrade.

I think the thought you will get an upgrade to MCU2 as part of a warranty on an MCU1 is a pipedream. If they open the door on that, they have a big problem on their hands, potential lawsuits over differential treatment, and the very real loss of revenue of making people pay for the upgrade to MCU2. The only time I have ever seen warranty replacements to a newer/more expensive part have been in cases where it was a safety issue (recall or not) or when there simply weren't any more of the older part and it was cheaper for the company to do the swap out.

Add on to that the fact that if you replace MCU1 with MCU2 as part of warranty, unless you swap out the digital tuner, the customer can make a claim that my MCU broke, you replaced it but now I have no radio...so your warranty repair actually degraded my car. For the paid upgrades, Tesla has been very clear repeatedly throughout the purchase/upgrade process to get the customer to acknowledge he/she will be losing the radio. That actually is a sign of mature business practice and protecting the company from potential claims.

Bottom line - refurbished MCU1s are in plentiful supply and Tesla has no reason to do a warranty replacement to MCU2 and a whole lot of very good reasons NOT to do that. I would be stunned if anyone EVER gets a warranty replacement of an MCU1 with an MCU2....

Of course that is all just my opinion.

Or maybe they would do this upgrade “now”.

Quite a bit has changed on which cars could upgrade these last couple months. Initially my car was not able to get the upgrade when it was in for some minor maintenance last month. Now I can bring it in anytime to do the upgrade.

Yes I should clarify that I don’t think Tesla will GIVE you the MCU2 upgrade under warranty.

FWIW, I'm scheduled for the HW3 w/o MCU2 upgrade on Thursday. (There was one misfire from Tesla on acquiring the hardware; they encouraged me to reserve for installation, scheduled the installation, then cancelled it because they said the part was unavailable due to COVID, and then the next day sent me an e-mail saying the part had arrived at the service center, inviting me to--again--schedule an install.)

Dashcam (which others have discussed) is not of interest to me, if that matters. Will keep this thread posted on the experience.

PS. I might drop the $2.5K on MCU2 someday, but it's not a priority right now, and the loss of the radio is a deterrent (particularly since I'm not sure I'm going to pay Tesla's monthly ransom for data access that's readily available through my iPhone and, absent CarPlay, the whole radio-over-iPhone experience is a bit unwieldy).

Reactions: croman
FWIW, I'm scheduled for the HW3 w/o MCU2 upgrade on Thursday. (There was one misfire from Tesla on acquiring the hardware; they encouraged me to reserve for installation, scheduled the installation, then cancelled it because they said the part was unavailable due to COVID, and then the next day sent me an e-mail saying the part had arrived at the service center, inviting me to--again--schedule an install.)

Dashcam (which others have discussed) is not of interest to me, if that matters. Will keep this thread posted on the experience.

PS. I might drop the $2.5K on MCU2 someday, but it's not a priority right now, and the loss of the radio is a deterrent (particularly since I'm not sure I'm going to pay Tesla's monthly ransom for data access that's readily available through my iPhone and, absent CarPlay, the whole radio-over-iPhone experience is a bit unwieldy).

MCU1 and HW3 should do what you paid for in terms of FSD. Currently they just released go on green with a lead car so lots of usefulness to come hopefully.

how long ago did you purchase FSD?

Did you get a chance to upgrade your emmc? Please post a video and your review.

Yes and no. So I received back the fixed up eMMC yesterday. My battery tender errored out without me realizing, my car ended up dying, and the frunk accidentally got shut. So it took me an entire day to break into the frunk to be able to pop it open so I could get the tender back on it to jump the car. The rip-cords for the frunk weren't attached... Got the car revived and MCU installed, but ran into some boot problems.

Tony is helping me through the issues (great support)... so still a work in progress. I will report back once all gets back up and running.

It's been one of those weeks...

Can you share the symptoms of a failing MCU1 that you experienced? My car screen/voice commands had become quite laggy in the last six months or so. But I haven't had a recent experience primarily because I haven't driven the car much because of the stay-at-home order. I still have warrantly until December / 4k miles.

I posted some of mine:

AP2 MCU1 FSD Dashcam Videos

EDIT: What you see in the clips, is exactly how they were on the drive. It is not YouTube pixelating them...

Mine is atleast 2x - 3x bad. Pixelating more frequently than yoursand backtracking(not sure if this the term, but suddenly subsecond old frames appear in between). It was not this bad the first week after retrofit when I tested it. This is the 4th week and today it was so bad. If Sentry was also bad, then it's okay, but Sentry is fine. Looks like while driving, MCU can't handle continuous dashcam processing. Is this how it always worked for HW2.5 /MCU1 guys? or is it just the HW2.0to3.0 retrofit guys facing this issue?

• Informative
Reactions: croman