Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 & MCU1 - Does upgrading to MCU2 also upgrade AP2 to AP2.5 or 3, and does it enable sentry mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP2 & MCU1 - Does upgrading to MCU2 also upgrade AP2 to AP2.5 or 3, and does it enable sentry mode? There are so many threads with conflicting information its hard to tell whats current and correct.

Infotainment upgrade has always included HW3 for AP2 or 2.5 cars that don’t have it. It’s surprising there’s so much “conflicting” information on this subject as anyone who has actually gone through the process can easily confirm.

Infotainment upgrade has always included HW3 for AP2 or 2.5 cars that don’t have it. It’s surprising there’s so much “conflicting” information on this subject as anyone who has actually gone through the process can easily confirm.
Really? I thought that was only the case if one had purchased FSD too. I guess that’s why it costs $2000 for AP2+ cars.

Last edited:
AP2 & MCU1 - Does upgrading to MCU2 also upgrade AP2 to AP2.5 or 3, and does it enable sentry mode? There are so many threads with conflicting information its hard to tell whats current and correct.
What you get:
- MCU2
- AP3 (HW3) computer
- Both screens
Yes, you'll have proper Sentry Mode. No, they don't offer MCU2 upgrade without AP3 computer.
For older cars without the side cameras, upgrade costs $1500 because the newer AP computer isn't available for non-AP and AP1 cars.

$500 optional if you want to retain FM radio.

Td2rPGQ.png

Last edited:
Every single infotainment upgrade for AP2 / 2.5 cars has included HW3, since the very beginning. Regardless of whether or not you’ve purchased the FSD package.
I have 2017, MCU1, AP2.5 computer. I spoke with a tech today and I can understand why there is so much confusion about this. The tech I spoke to today, at first, very confidently said that AP3.0 will NOT be included in the Infotainment upgrade. He explained that I would have to have that upgraded separately. If I subscribe to FSD, I would have to pay $1200 (or something in that range), however if I paid for FSD outright (the $10K version), it would include an AP3.0 computer upgrade.

However, after reading this thread, I called him back and he corrected his statement saying "Sorry yes, you will get AP3.0 but you can't use it unless you purchase the software for FSD software outright or by subscribing."

Unfortunately the price went up so $250 so I'm facing $2300 and change for the upgrade and that does NOT include FM or the ability to retain XM Radio, neither of which I use anyway so no big loss there.