Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 MCU1 FSD Dashcam Videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the videos @ahkahn.

Quick question, is there something blocking your front facing camera?

All of your forward facing videos seem to have a smudge on the lower section of the image...

Maybe the camera needs a small adjustment upwards.

Edit: I went and took a look at @Akikiki's and @spentan videos, and their AP2.0 cameras also have the same lower section... blocked?

Could that be the triple camera housing getting a bit on the way of the shot?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: croman
Thanks for the videos @ahkahn.

Quick question, is there something blocking your front facing camera?

All of your forward facing videos seem to have a smudge on the lower section of the image...

Maybe the camera needs a small adjustment upwards.

Edit: I went and took a look at @Akikiki's and @spentan videos, and their AP2.0 cameras also have the same lower section... blocked?

Could that be the triple camera housing getting a bit on the way of the shot?

I recall that 2016 AP2 vehicles had an installation issue where the front cameras were pitched too far down and the AP script had to real time dynamically crop the image to fix the AP. Tesla said it didn't need to fix the hardware.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Mine is a 3/2017 build. That is indeed the camera housing bottom, and I had my cameras adjusted a couple years ago, so I guess that is what it is?

The video pixelation/choppiness is exactly how it came from the thumb drive. I am using the fastest thumb drive that is recommended by Teslarati, and I also run the exact same drive in my wife's Model 3 (seen in the Wendy's video above ; ) without any issues. I attribute that pixelation/choppiness to the MCU1 being so slow. Something else I'll be checking when I get my eMMC upgrade back next week.

See this tweet and there was an actual statement that I can't find right now.

Twitter

Yeah! I do remember those days...

My Model S was built during the last week of January 2017 and was delivered on February 2017. The firmware version it came with didn't even have automatic headlights for us "Enhanced Autopilot" vehicles. We had to turn our headlights manually on and off like savages!!!

What I find sooooooo Tesla about this situation, is that after I posted that message, I went on YouTube and searched for "Tesla Dashcam Autopilot 2.5" and I saw videos from Model S', Model X's and Model 3's with AP2.5, and some had the visible camera housing and some did not. Some had them more intrusive than others but it was a complete dice roll per vehicle.

I even went back to checking the USB drives I used on loaners and Tesla Turo rentals I drove, and it was exactly the same.
A Model X I rented on Turo didn't have the housing intrusion, but a Model S I rented during a trip to San Fran did. A Model S loaner didn't, but a Model 3 I rented on San Diego did... That's your Tesla quality control textbook definition right there.

I can't imagine the differences in imaging rendering the software has to deal with, let alone the AP Neural Network...

• Informative
Reactions: ahkahn and croman
Mine is a 3/2017 build. That is indeed the camera housing bottom, and I had my cameras adjusted a couple years ago, so I guess that is what it is?

The video pixelation/choppiness is exactly how it came from the thumb drive. I am using the fastest thumb drive that is recommended by Teslarati, and I also run the exact same drive in my wife's Model 3 (seen in the Wendy's video above ; ) without any issues. I attribute that pixelation/choppiness to the MCU1 being so slow. Something else I'll be checking when I get my eMMC upgrade back next week.

Glad its not just me. Have Jan 2017 build and have noticed same issues on the video recordings since doing HW3 upgrade (still MCU1). Mine also has the bottom of the camera housing in the view which is annoying.

We have the same exact choppy/laggy dashcam video problem (December 2016 MS, HW2/MCU1 just upgraded to HW3, with a Samsung 256GB Fit Plus UBS 3.1 flash drive).

When there’s minimal motion the video is fairly smooth, but it gets bad once there’s a lot of movement. I hope it can be improved with just a software update but am worried it might need the MCU2 upgrade to really make it acceptable :-/