Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 MCU1 FSD Dashcam Videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's wait a bit for @ahkahn to get up and running and we'll know if better and more eMMC will clear the bottleneck or if it's compute. I think if sentry works, it likely is buffer and storage and not processing.

OK, so I'm going to cross-post this since this topic is flowing between two different discussions. Here is the other discussion:
AP2 (HW2) to HW3 (no MCU2 upgrade)

eMMC upgrade first impressions:
- MCU is definitely faster and more responsive
- MCU1 is still nowhere near MCU2 speed (as compared to my wife's Model 3)
- Dashcam and Sentry seem to be working slightly better, but still not perfect.
- The Dashcam does seem to slow the MCU down slightly when the USB is plugged in.
- IC (for some reason) seems to be running a tad smoother. Maybe smoother data flow between the two?
- Haven't done much longer range driving, but AP seems to be functioning the same as before

Overall impression: The replacement cost is commensurate with the performance boost. It is a preventative measure that undoes and also prevents the future decay of the MCU. It will basically "rewind the clock" on the MCU to when the car was new, and unscientifically speaking perhaps a tad faster than new. It is not an MCU2 by any means, but it is also not the price of an MCU2.

Situations where I would upgrade the eMMC:
- Running buggy and want to just fix it
- High mileage car
- Looking to sell car soon
- Don't want to invest or have the money to spend on a new MCU

Situations where I would upgrade the MCU:
- Plan to keep the car for a while
- Want the newest features (Netflix, etc)
- Can't stand the speed of the MCU (and couldn't in the beginning of ownership)

*I am still having some minor(?) issues with audio that Tony is working through with me. I'm hopeful that issue will also help speed things up even better.

• Helpful
Reactions: CaliMS
I've copied over some of the Dashcam videos for everybody to see.

- This one is a good chuckle... if you're 12.

Vids look great, but I’m a bit confused. Everything I’ve read says that you need MCU2 with HW3 and full AP. I was told that my 2017 S75/AP2/HW3/MCU1 could not us Dashcam since I didn’t have MCU2. I’ve ALSO read where updated cameras and sensors are necessary!

Wrong.

You do have the dashcam feature with AP2/HW3/MCU1.
You just don’t have the dashcam playback, no rear camera will be recorded.

No cameras&sensors upgrade are needed at this time.

Vids look great, but I’m a bit confused. Everything I’ve read says that you need MCU2 with HW3 and full AP. I was told that my 2017 S75/AP2/HW3/MCU1 could not us Dashcam since I didn’t have MCU2. I’ve ALSO read where updated cameras and sensors are necessary!