Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 MCU1 w/ FSD to MCU2 upgrade available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my M X100D with FSD prepaid In March 2018 and it had MCU1.. I was pretty upset as they had just started rolling out cars with MCU2 several weeks after I took delivery. Its getting slower and slower as newer versions come out. Tesla also had to replace my MCU several months ago because it failed (probably the EMMC failure) and they replaced with MCU1 :-(. I hope the HW3 upgrade comes really soon.. its killing me.

We took delivery late-February 2018, I feel your pain!

Hi Paul2017,

November 2018 BUILD should be MCU2.
I think it's AP 2.5 or AP 3.0 - if it's AP 2.5 and you keep FSD, it will be upgraded to AP 3.0
It is a computer swap of the Autopilot computer now manufactured by Tesla. It is located
near the glove box...

Shawn

No autopilot hardware upgrades are currently being done for cars with MCU1.

Ouch, I guess I'll be waiting a long time. Im starting to think Tesla has been blowing out inventory cars with incredible prices due to having MCU1 and abandoning an upgrade path. My car was a showroom demo and I got it for a steal of a price with the only negative being MCU1. Got an 80k adjustment from original MSRP price ($161k).

Really?? I didn’t know what. I guess there are 2 kinds of updates. AP2.5 with MCU1 and AP2.5 with MCU2. So AP2.5 upgrades happening now are for MCU2 cars?
Yes. Cars with AP2.5 and MCU2 (built from about March 2018 until about March/April 2019) are being upgraded to AP3. AP2 and AP2.5 cars with MCU1 that were built before March 2018 are not being upgraded yet.

One concern I have is that for MCU1 AP2.0 cars the MCU and IC have separate on board processors, and I can't speak for everyone but if I turn on the rainbow road Easter egg and have navigation simultaneously eg. Navigate on autopilot it really bogs down the IC, even sometimes without the Easter egg activated and just normal traffic displayed. So I think the IC itself is reaching it's limit of what it can display and the new MCU2 processes display for BOTH the IC and MCU itself. That's just my observation and I can't see the IC handling much more on screen info that it currently has which will definitely need an update

I talked with Tesla in Germany recently about options to get rid of the yellow border of my MCU1 (with LTE) of my Model X from March 2017 (AP 2). Question was if there is a way to repair, replace (for free) or maybe upgrade to MCU2. In that context, Tesla offered a paid upgrade to MCU2 for 2,500 Euro. So there is a upgrade path, at least for the MCU.

I talked with Tesla in Germany recently about options to get rid of the yellow border of my MCU1 (with LTE) of my Model X from March 2017 (AP 2). Question was if there is a way to repair, replace (for free) or maybe upgrade to MCU2. In that context, Tesla offered a paid upgrade to MCU2 for 2,500 Euro. So there is a upgrade path, at least for the MCU.
I don’t think it’s true. Im in California and when I tried to make a service request for upgrading MCU1 to MCU2, 3 different services centers here denied and said the same thing: there is no such MCU1->MCU2 yet. It is just another Elon’s promise.

We've tried that approach but the part that they looked up isn't really MCU2...at least it wasn't when we tried 3 months ago. I don't remember the exact part but it was more like MCU1 v2.