Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 minor accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had almost the exact same accident last fall. I feel your pain.

AP1 didn't see the posts either. I was changing lanes (at night) and didn't see them up ahead. Did the auto-lane change on AP1 and was looking up at the overhead road side describing which lane was HOV vs express and which wasn't and the delineator posts appeared mid lane change. I drove by the same area later and took a video. You'll see 3 posts knocked down in the screenshot attached and the damage they did. Never had a collision warning or any alerts from the car whatsoever. It just plowed through the posts and continued on it's lane change. I torqued the wheel immediately and disengaged autosteer but it was too late.

Ended up having to replace the hood, front bumper and the headlight cover.

he2Ua3KTddnMesePsCMs0jUBvendoejeViwVkg81bcc.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 9.18.00 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
I had almost the exact same accident last fall. I feel your pain.

AP1 didn't see the posts either. I was changing lanes (at night) and didn't see them up ahead. Did the auto-lane change on AP1 and was looking up at the overhead road side describing which lane was HOV vs express and which wasn't and the delineator posts appeared mid lane change. I drove by the same area later and took a video. You'll see 3 posts knocked down in the screenshot attached and the damage they did. Never had a collision warning or any alerts from the car whatsoever. It just plowed through the posts and continued on it's lane change. I torqued the wheel immediately and disengaged autosteer but it was too late.

Ended up having to replace the hood, front bumper and the headlight cover.

View attachment 229387 View attachment 229388

Man, that is EXACTLY the same thing, same damage, and same repairs that I've been quoted. I suppose you were to blame as well for not paying 100% attention and holding the steering wheel during auto-steer and maybe just maybe hoping the car wouldn't run through lane divider poles...READ THE MANUAL! :rolleyes:

If you don't mind can you share the details on the costs, insurance consequence (did your rates go up) and what goes on the record of the car and the time it took to get the parts and get it fixed. Also were you happy with the end results (color matching, paint quality, overall appearance)? You can PM me these as well.

I actually did have my hands on the wheel the whole time! Those damn posts just appeared out of nowhere and for no reason. They literally had no reason to be there. The lanes don't diverge in any way. You can see from this photo, which is about 20 feet further down the road from my last photo that the posts end and there is no point in even having them there!

I didn't blame AP for the accident in any way - I was confused by the road signage and tried to change lanes and didn't see the posts. I honestly would have done the same thing with or without AP. I just wished AP had been smart enough to give me a collision warning so I could swerve out of the way prior to hitting them.

Insurance covered everything other than deductible. I don't remember the exact payments but I think it was 4k total? Not sure on the premiums - the wife pays them. I never saw a notice of increase in the mail so I assume they didn't change?

Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 11.37.23 AM.png

ewwww, i gotta say, i don't trust AP in construction type areas or other weird merge areas. i find it best in the middle lane on roads that aren't that curvy and especially in stop and go type stuff. Otherwise, i'm generally not using autopilot.

Insurance covered everything other than deductible. I don't remember the exact payments but I think it was 4k total? Not sure on the premiums - the wife pays them. I never saw a notice of increase in the mail so I assume they didn't change?

View attachment 229400

Yeah this seems fairly close to what I have been told so far, still havent gotten the official numbers

How long did it take and were you happy with the results (especially paint matching on the new hood to other panels)?

Definitely happy with the results. Can't tell that any work was ever done.

I found a few small scratches when I picked it up the first time and they offered to pull the bumper, sand it and repaint it. They did that for me and then everything was perfect.