Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 Model S with 3K discount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The difference in sales tax for me is minimal. 9.9 to 9.8. There is no extra fee to move the inventory car. Only the destination fee which you pay for every new car even if you pickup in the factory.

I don't know for SURE, but I find it unlikely Washington would just shrug and not collect tax. You'd likely have to pay BOTH the 9.9 and 9.8 taxes. That is definitely what would happen in Colorado.

The sales tax owed is Washington state/local tax only. The car was not purchased in CA, it was bought it in WA.

The dealer in WA is doing an internal transfer/movement of inventory and selling you the car in WA. This is no different when a traditional dealer does a "locate" on a car to sell to you.

If you were to do a pickup in CA, then that would be different. Hence the reason this bill was proposed (but failed)
New bill in California would eliminate sales tax for out-of-state Tesla buyers and encourage deliveries at the Fremont factory

The sales tax owed is Washington state/local tax only. The car was not purchased in CA, it was bought it in WA.

Keep up with the idea here: we're talking about what would happen if he picked it up in California. California sales tax law requires that sales taxes be collected because it's delivered in California. Washington would very likely ALSO want sales taxes, because it would be registered in Washington. If you're willing to pay 17+% in sales taxes on a $100,000 car, by all means, go for it. But the average person wouldn't want to do that.

The inventory I see on Tesla.com is very limited at the low end. There seems like a lot of single motor cars with AP1 hardware are not moving and all dual motor cars at the 60Kw layer; all gone. I guess I'm not the only one trying to take advantage of the entry level car before it is no more.

Keep up with the idea here: we're talking about what would happen if he picked it up in California. California sales tax law requires that sales taxes be collected because it's delivered in California. Washington would very likely ALSO want sales taxes, because it would be registered in Washington. If you're willing to pay 17+% in sales taxes on a $100,000 car, by all means, go for it. But the average person wouldn't want to do that.

Missed that there. I've typically seen that being the difference between sales tax paid and the local rate. If the local rate is lower than the sales tax paid, then there's no additional tax.

I have yet to see any state double tax on the purchase.

Missed that there. I've typically seen that being the difference between sales tax paid and the local rate. If the local rate is lower than the sales tax paid, then there's no additional tax.

I have yet to see any state double tax on the purchase.
You've yet to see Georgia. Georgia requires you to pay tax locally, even if you paid in another state.

I had custom ordered 60D with AP2. It was still in production queue, expected to be in my hands by year end. I was at the local Tesla center yesterday gong thru the AP2 cars that had arrived there, in case I wanted to switch to one of those and get it sooner (patience is not one of my qualities). While checking online, my OA found an AP2 car with $2800 discount on it. Brand new, only 6 miles on it, never been driven by anyone. I jumped to switch my order to it, as I had not seen any brand new AP2 cars with discount.

Now it 75D and they said they can revert it to 60D to match my current order, but if they do that I will lose the discount. So I decided to go with bigger battery, as I was planning to upgrade anyway next year. Other than that it has premium interior package extra, which I had not ordered in 60D, but with the discount, I would take it.

And it's Obsidian Black -- love the color, just need to now see if I can keep it clean!

Best part, I get it next week. They have put in the move request already to get it from Bay Area to Seattle. Can't wait!

Just posting it here, as you may want to contact and see if there are inventory AP2 cars that may match your current car, and so you can get it sooner.
Sweet...Congratulations!

I don't know for SURE, but I find it unlikely Washington would just shrug and not collect tax. You'd likely have to pay BOTH the 9.9 and 9.8 taxes. That is definitely what would happen in Colorado.
I don't think this is true for all states.

In your own state, yes: there are probably different taxing districts, and tax is applied based on where you live.

The point is, that's in addition to the tax California WILL collect if you pick up the car there.
It's not always in addition. Most states would allow you to deduct the amount paid in California. If that amount was less than what you'd owe your state, then you'd have to pay the difference to your state. If it was more, you wouldn't get a refund.

I don't think this is true for all states.

It's not always in addition. Most states would allow you to deduct the amount paid in California. If that amount was less than what you'd owe your state, then you'd have to pay the difference to your state. If it was more, you wouldn't get a refund.
That's exactly what my OA had said for WA. She said I would pay 9.9 for CA and they will register the car in WA. No tax would be needed in WA.

That's exactly what my OA had said for WA. She said I would pay 9.9 for CA and they will register the car in WA. No tax would be needed in WA.
Yeah, similar story here. My friend and I each ordered in Colorado and he was interested in picking up at the factory. They said he'd have to pay the 9.x% tax rate for Fremont vs. the ~4% he had to pay here so he opted not to. He wouldn't have been required to pay taxes in both states.

Yeah, similar story here. My friend and I each ordered in Colorado and he was interested in picking up at the factory. They said he'd have to pay the 9.x% tax rate for Fremont vs. the ~4% he had to pay here so he opted not to. He wouldn't have been required to pay taxes in both states.

I'm in Colorado, and I was told I would have to pay both Calif and Colorado sales tax if I went and picked it up. And knowing Colorado, I believe it.

No idea, my OA couldn't figure it out. She said there is nothing wrong with the car as they will need to disclose if it is. Her best guess was it was built Nov 14, so its been sitting for over 2 weeks so Tesla wants to sell it. I confirmed multiple times that is in fact brand new and she said it yes and has only 6 miles on it. No one has touched it as it is still in their holding warehouse.

What was the full configuration of the vehicle? I ordered an Obsidian black AWD around that time, but changed the order 2 weeks in to add the all glass roof (from solid color roof). I wonder if they built my original config anyhow and just planned to sell it and then restarted my build?