Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 newbie - does it improve over time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model S loan car from Tesla to replace my own whilst it's having having some work done.

My loaner is brand new with AP2, which my own car doesn't have and has done around 100 miles from new. I can engage AP by pulling the stalk twice and getting the audio confirmation and dashboard display light on which I tried for the first time on a relatively quiet and free flowing motorway earlier today. BUT I couldn't leave it on AP control because it was wandering from side to side in lane. Only cars directly ahead in the same lane showed up on the display. When I signalled right It changed lane (abruptly) to overtake but wouldn't change back to the inside lane (which was clear) when I indicated left. Instead I got a red "takeover now" message with the alarm tones.

Is that normal?

I presumed the car wouldn't let me engage AP unless it was in a functional state, though I could be wrong. Does it need to calibrate over time?

I was thinking of purchasing AP for my own car but not convinced so far that it would be worth the extra £5+k.

has done around 100 miles from new ... Does it need to calibrate over time?

There is a "calibration phase" that new cars go through, so it might be that. But I thought that AP would not engage until Calibration mileage had been completed.

AP2 is a work-in-progress, and from what I've read some updates come with what seems to be retrograde "features", there was certainly talk of a lot of "wandering" in the latest updated (.50 or .52 I think), but folk seemed to then be saying that either they got used to it! or it improved. so if you've got the user of the loaner for a while you might want to try to maximise AP-mileage, when you feel confident of it, to see if it improves.

However, I don't think I have heard of Red Alert when signalling change-of-lane-left. Might be that the sensors need adjusting - I've heard of some new cars needing a visit to service to sort that out (begs the question" why" though, should have been picked up on PDI check ...)

If you are thinking of buying AP then I think worth getting it sorted on the Loaner so you at least have the "proper" experience, or sit-and-wait until its matured a bit more and then borrow a loner and try another test?