Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 report - logic needs a "drivers" attention

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tested AP2 Autosteer on the freeways of L.A. this weekend, as well as on I-5 up to the Bay Area. My biggest complaint is that the logic behind the steering is very poor, and almost as if written by someone who doesn't understand driving.

I can see from the display that the computer has a firm understanding of the lane boundaries, including in curves -- however, the path that the car chooses to take within those boundaries doesn't make sense. When AS sees a curve coming, it should plan a "normal" path through the curve, turning in for the upcoming curve before the actual curvature begins, error on drifting inside the corner (apex), and then return to center upon the exit of the corner.

I can tell that AS can see the curve, but it chooses to not make any adjustment to the steering until the car begins drifting towards the outside lane line in the corner. So for example, on a left hand gentle corner, AS will drift the car nearly to the lane boundary on the right (I scared a few drivers next to me, and had to grab the wheel).

I hope Tesla gets some professional drivers to advise their algorithms. Like I said, it can clearly see the lanes, it is simply choosing to take an awkward path through the corners.

With regards to sharper corners, forget it -- failed every time.

However, on I-5 to the Bay Area, once I got out of the L.A. congestion, was fabulous with autosteer at 80mph. The car has going straight down pat!!

@timvracer - is this your first Tesla? If you had an AP1 from the beginning you would have experienced a similar phenomena - which got better and better over time during the last year. Based on how Tesla kept improving the "logic" and smoothness of AP1 I expect the same rate or even better of improvement to AP2.

That’s reassuring to know. New owner over here, having acquired my Model S just a fortnight ago. I too noticed the curious jerky-jerky motions of AP2 in even the gentlest of curves. I’m glad to hear that based on AP1’s performance, this tendency will get smoothed out over time.

For the record AP1 handles sweeping corners on the freeway rather ridiculously as well.

A normal human would treat it as a single long corner without adjusting the steering wheel throughout the corner.

Where AP on the other hand divides it up and is constantly doing steering corrections throughout it. It's like it's only looking 20-30ft ahead.

I imagine Tesla's priorities go something like:

1. Make it safe
  2. Make it safe and smooth
  3. Make it safe, smooth, and smart
The last goal includes bonus features like switching to faster-moving lanes, or controlling front and rear space to help reduce congestion.

Current autosteer tends to keep the vehicle in the center of the lane. Human drivers tend to apex into curves and swing out a little wider on the exit to make the curve smoother.

My autosteer is just a little wobbly, but truly effective in getting you from point to point safely.

I discovered today that there are some curving stretches of the 5 running through downtown San Diego that AP2 just couldn’t handle. My waiting until my car hit the divider dots before correcting must have alarmed the drivers abeam me, and must have been a mildly worrying sight for the drivers behind me.