Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 surpassing AP1 in the rain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday my wife and I drove the same route through the rain, she with AP1 and I with AP2, a few hours apart.

She'd gone first and warned me that due to the rain and terrible visibility, I should expect AP to refuse to offer itself, but on my drive it not only was available but it did a great drive. Photo of the conditions shown ... honestly the photo makes it look much better than it was actually driving through the rain ... in the photo I can make out the line on the left, but in actual driving I could not see the lines at all.

It's my first experience with AP2 where I think it performed better than our experiences with AP1. Can anyone corroborate with similar experiences in poor visibility?

5TIzX_QXul-fFdfJrJB9hP-45yY5BLdq60jw1qD8dlE2T-xqmKSeuujEqfqHO-J_m6XVQSiiVO84duA3Xc2idrqVP0P8Hw9lWcCE0EXZckgT9aXl3Vx3xc1-YnldTzubRWp5SkWP1avH6VHWA11vtfFEvnMO8aPYO5Z1cDJhViGmioJUCOKWUwiexPXRl5-wtp97ef2MXc2hay4J8grtDMyigKwFu519Bi0gBjTRKMgrEVaFooi2mwQ0JqKVVfgo_BH0VI68YVbmvfUJ6EOLKuZx0G1fJ-zj4steJ2kh76pZ_lZBqeyvAwsyY_EmyjgPtwPZYT8rALCM1wRi3FRGLyShGDY5Lk_UlIpLSaX6c86ExjdKWjrhTgW30t_VdnR4IDiaVe90dKxA2lUYjuNxaQ4BVO59_oY619gs6NH_ez3TM1Ga8bDw4-nPbJXLRbQNXbvMSCeTlNCqNF966hQaKsgMxfC9zGILUBwPeLFBS3_LE6KJh-TXv_H4odSfEvIF8mQ4Otp4tncjYTobgiucnXblFapBNewytGu7-17d21UN2Ez4uldiaViOOCAHZ6A3Dt9uaY0Igfj7klM5WLMm17N9Liy0jyKtRrG1sRzQ=w512-no

In my experience AP1 > AP2 with rain sensors still - at least in the X. I heard it didn't work well in non-AP and AP1 MS.

There's 2 situations in an AP2 that stands out - misting or very light rain is not caught; where it caught on the AP1.
The second would be in night time and twilight situations, the AP2 is still lacking and often not activating at all.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
@Yinn I can't tell if you're talking about automatic wipers or autosteer.

Here's my missing photo:
IMG_1347.jpg

I remain impressed that AP2 could lane-keep without difficulty in this weather.

Someone commented 'worse in snow' but honestly I found both AP1 and AP2 to be unusable in the snow. Certainly I don't trust it in snowy conditions yet, even on those rare occasions where autosteer is offered.

I've honestly found AP2 to be better at AP1 in a lot of situations, primarily around crappy lane lines, low visibility, direct oncoming sunlight, etc.

It's only recently that the steering correctness has improved noticeably (at least since late last year). But ever since I went from AP1 to AP2 in April or so last year, there's been a lot of situations where I'm looking at the IC and wondering "wow how does it see these lane lines, I could barely see them"

I was shocked how well AP2 did in rain with heavy fog two weeks ago. Same situation I could not see the lines but AP did great. I did not own AP1 for comparison.
I've been singing the praises of AP2 ever since I hit a major fog bank on the freeway and instead of not seeing anything, I could see the lines on my dash and what cars were around me as I slowed down. It definitely made me safer.

I've been singing the praises of AP2 ever since I hit a major fog bank on the freeway and instead of not seeing anything, I could see the lines on my dash and what cars were around me as I slowed down. It definitely made me safer.

So the question raised in my mind is, if there is indeed an advantage in AP2 over AP1 in wet weather, is it due to the difference in hardware, or is it more a result of improved software? And if it is the software, does that imply that AP1 could also improve further? Or is this an indication that AP1 has reached its point of maturity, no further improvement possible?

So the question raised in my mind is, if there is indeed an advantage in AP2 over AP1 in wet weather, is it due to the difference in hardware, or is it more a result of improved software? And if it is the software, does that imply that AP1 could also improve further? Or is this an indication that AP1 has reached its point of maturity, no further improvement possible?
The question can probably be more accurately asked in this way:
1.) Does Tesla have the ability to improve AP1 (they may be hindered by MobilEye)?
2.) Is AP1 CPU maxed out or can it handle more processing/improvements?
It's my understanding that Tesla can and will improve AP1. I just don't know how far they can go. I would expect at the very least stop-light and stop-sign recognition/obeying on top of the current driving improvements.

Tesla can improve the driving logic of AP1, but they can't update the vision system, that is proprietary MobilEye hardware/software. So I don't think that AP1 is going to get any better at lane line recognition.

The vision system is hardware based (burned into an ASIC) so unless Tesla is purposely disabling/hiding existing MobileEye capabilities, there's no avenue of updating EyeQ3.

Even the AP1 driving logic runs on relatively weak microprocessors on the EyeQ3 (32-bit MIPS, think WRT54G era routers), so there's realistically limits of what it can do as well.

I honestly think anything that's not currently activated on EyeQ3 that MobileEye claims is a feature is something that Tesla has attempted to activate but found it to not be usable. You might get minor minor driving performance improvements through tweaking the driving logic, but it would be unrealistic to expect anything major to happen.

• Informative
Reactions: MikeBur
... if there is indeed an advantage in AP2 over AP1 in wet weather ...

I find it hard to imagine a much better test than driving two Model X's through the same weather and getting different results, although admittedly my experience was a few hours later than my wife's experience. The overall weather conditions would have been very similar, the only way to do a better test would be to literally follow her or have her follow me. I might have a future opportunity for that, but honestly we don't take two vehicles to drive right behind each other on most weekends :)

Just yeaterday, I used EAP in this northeastern mess. It switched between rain, snow, high winds, and the occasional “oh crap, that’s a tree!”

My experience was on the highway and I’m truly impressed by how EAP handled it. Especially with sudden gusts of wind. Not a single out of lane moment, which is more than I could say for myself during manual mode!

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and Doctt
Lol..
I am patiently waiting to upgrade to AP2 but there is not real parity. AP2 just got external lanes. They both do the same things; no feature differences. I have found there is no appreciable difference between the two and have conditioned my driving to adapt to the limitations of both. EAP does the same as AP1.