Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 / TACC Still slowing when passing freeway offramps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had this issue for a long time now - but it occurred to me that through all the improvements and software updates, this issue has remained the same for me. When driving in TACC or AP2 on the freeway, the target speed will slow to the off-ramp speed if I'm driving in either of the rightmost lanes. This doesn't happen at every off-ramp, but it does happen consistently on certain off-ramps every time (I drive the 5 / 405 freeways in So Cal about 45 miles each way daily).

Does anyone else still have this issue ? I haven't seen it mentioned in a while, and I was wondering if it is unique to my vehicle at this point, or whether others have the issue (and how they resolved it, if they did). I'm MCU1, AP2 11/2017 S90D, currently on 2019.16.2 73d3f3c...

I've had this issue for a long time now - but it occurred to me that through all the improvements and software updates, this issue has remained the same for me. When driving in TACC or AP2 on the freeway, the target speed will slow to the off-ramp speed if I'm driving in either of the rightmost lanes. This doesn't happen at every off-ramp, but it does happen consistently on certain off-ramps every time (I drive the 5 / 405 freeways in So Cal about 45 miles each way daily).

Does anyone else still have this issue ? I haven't seen it mentioned in a while, and I was wondering if it is unique to my vehicle at this point, or whether others have the issue (and how they resolved it, if they did). I'm MCU1, AP2 11/2017 S90D, currently on 2019.16.2 73d3f3c...

I have same version on a M3. Same issue on Rte 6, Sandwich, Cape Cod MA. 2 lane div hwy. My car braked in the rh lane before turning into the exit lane. Nearly rear-ended. The system should be improved to evaluate the rearward traffic before such an abrupt brake maneuver at 60 mph.

I have the same issue, plus another related problem, everyday just after the transition from the 101 fwy onto the 405 fwy South and before the merging is complete. Yes, when driving with TACC/AP2 on the freeway at that spot, the target speed will slow to the off-ramp speed if I'm driving in either of the rightmost lanes. Also, even if the target speed is, for example at 65 in those transition lanes, the TACC will have me going well below the target speed at, e.g., 15 mph when the car in front of me is at 25, with phantom braking and slow down even though there is a long gap and the car in front of me is extending the gap and speeding up. Its brake checking the car behind me, and everyday I have to take over and hit the accelerator to increase speed to move with traffic at that exact spot.

I never had that issue with my 2015 S with AP1, only in my new 2018 S (bought in Dec 2018). No idea if the issue is AP2 or, more likely, the version of current software?

Last edited:
AP1, I’ve always had this issue while passing certain off-ramps on my commute route. Pretty annoying. I don’t even think about it anymore; a slight tap on the accelerator corrects it.
I'm just wrapping up a 2400 mile road trip and have observed this intently. My Model 3 LR DM with only autopilot SW definitely brakes abruptly when traveling in right lane when another vehicle is merging onto highway. It also does this when a car ahead of me leaves the highway at off ramp. I'm most cases neither of those situations are near what I would consider a dangerous or potentially unsafe proximity to my car. If anything, this braking is unsafe, considering it could cause following drivers to also brake abruptly. I can't believe how poorly this is performing. My vehicle also seems to break abruptly when using TACC (not Autosteer) and signaling for lane change and then making the change around a slower vehicle. I get a little behavior when changing lanes if I hold the turn signal stalk down completely through the change, until I'm in the left lane. But, no one drives like that in the real world.
To make things more fun, with 500 miles left to get home, this morning we got on the road to find none of the auto features working inexplicably; wipers, headlights, speed limit indications, TACC, Autosteer, blind spot indications, Tesla imagery traffic... Nothing. That's really not impressing me.

• Informative
Reactions: Inside