TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AP2 Ultrasonic Sensors - Are they actually longer range than AP1?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ab26, Jan 28, 2017.

1. ab26

ab26 Member

I have owned both an AP1 and AP2 cars. Having driven my AP2 car for about a month, I am starting to suspect whether the ultrasonic sensors are really longer range than AP1. Several of my unscientific observations indicate that the range is similar to that of AP1. Unless, they need to update software to make it longer range. Which brings me to another question, whether they are actually different hardware (irrespective of what Tesla claims), and are they getting a longer range by a FW update since it might be an algorithm change that could enable longer range?

• Helpful x 1
  2. lunitiks

lunitiks Memba

Very interesting. Please elaborate what makes you suspicious about this

3. kdday

kdday Member

I have had the same thoughts. The ultrasonic sensors provide the same ~8feet of distance in my non-scientific tests on my AP2 car and seem to act identically to how the AP1 car was during my test drive(s).

I honestly can't tell a difference and frankly they're worthless.

4. I dont think there is anyway to tell by the user interface. Just as in the HW1 the user interface doesn't display the full range of the sensors, neither does the HW2. The control system is getting data from the sensors at their full range it's just that the software designers have only chosen to show you the data within a certain range.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. ab26

ab26 Member

Well, just driving on my usual route from work to home. There's a section where I am driving against a wall. Depending on how close I drive to the wall, I can see the sensor lights come on / off on my dashboard. I don't see any difference comparing my AP2 car to AP1.

Now, it can be very well true that the its not just shown on the dashboard but the actual sensor output is different. But knowing how Elon goes overboard with his marketing, I think otherwise.

• Informative x 1
  6. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

I'm not at all convinced that the rear corner sensors aren't showing their maximum range. Auto Lane Change seems more than happy to initiate with someone right beside me but offset in their lane a foot beyond the range of the rear whiskers.

7. lunitiks

lunitiks Memba

8. bswn1

bswn1 Member

I have had both. The new sensors are definitely farther range and more sensitive. No question in my mind.

The arcs even extend beyond what my AP1 car rendered.

• Helpful x 1
  9. lunitiks

lunitiks Memba

I wonder what makes them "farther range".

I mean, it's butt old tech. Ultrasound. Sending, receiving and timing.

Must be higher sensitivity on the receivers, combined with more sophisticated interpretation of the echo signal. Would be really nice to hear from some experts (chime in!)

10. ab26

ab26 Member

Can you share a screenshot of your dashboard which indicates farther range?

11. ab26

ab26 Member

For larger range, these are the few things that are important. Higher sensitivity on the receivers, higher transmit power on the transmitter, attenuation of the ultrasound in air and the frequency of operation.

It is unclear how some of these are different from Ap1 to Ap2.

12. bswn1

bswn1 Member

The first update that was pushed to cars in Nov / Dec that activated the Ultra-sonic sensors included a perfect screenshot showing the extended arc. Feel free to Google it.

13. ab26

ab26 Member

Yes. I know which arc you are referring to. But in my unscientific tests, I have never seen that arc appear on my dashboard. I am curious if other's have seen that.

14. bswn1

bswn1 Member

Yep I see it regularly!

• Informative x 1
  15. ab26

ab26 Member

Screenshot please?

16. zambono

zambono Member

I am on 22 HW1 and I have noticed the ultrasonics are either more sensitive or what is being displayed is now further out. What used to be a white is now yellow etc.

17. lunitiks

lunitiks Memba

I noticed this too, but was afraid I'm delusional. But when did this happen? With the orig 8.0 release or later?

18. zambono

zambono Member

As far as I am concerned it just happened with 22