Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 update 17.7.2 new Autopark and Local autosteer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does this work for tight spaces? I live in Amsterdam and parking here is pretty cramped. We're also used to much smaller vehicles then the MX. Picking up my X in a few hours!
This was an auto-parallel park. Gap between other cars too small, or too large will fail the test for offer to auto-park.
I estimate based on experience, not any spec's, that:
- rear and front gap reduced by ~10" (25cm), or a wheel radius, you won't get an offer to auto-park
- rear and front gap increased by ~20" (50cm), or a wheel diameter, you won't get an offer to auto-park

|v8.0(17.7.2)| AP2-HW2 | PUP |
IMG_2415.JPG

This was an auto-parallel park. Gap between other cars too small, or too large will fail the test for offer to auto-park.
I estimate based on experience, not any spec's, that:
- rear and front gap reduced by ~10" (25cm), or a wheel radius, you won't get an offer to auto-park
- rear and front gap increased by ~20" (50cm), or a wheel diameter, you won't get an offer to auto-park

|v8.0(17.7.2)| AP2-HW2 | PUP |
View attachment 216387
Picked up the X yesterday, what a car!

Thanks for the info, hopefully the EU gets the update soon so I can try myself. Looks like most spots won't work because they are too tight.

My car is still calibrating so I don't even have TACC atm...

mohanman said:
I took my X for a drive this am. It kept saying autopilot is not currently available.. was working ok yesterday. Does anyone know why?

Sometimes when you first start out in the car you will get this. Pull over get out of the car and walk away to let the car turn off. Get back in and it works. This has happened to me several times.

Maybe it's just my X, but this update (specifically the local auto-steer) is pretty terrible. I've driven about 3 hours today, and have had to take over dozens of times. Getting confused crossing an intersection I understand, but veering off for no reason, on a straight road with lines, just makes me nervous. I had great luck using the highway auto-steer, but this local one is not safe. I'm confident it would have crashed 5+ times if I hadn't taken over.

Maybe it's just my X, but this update (specifically the local auto-steer) is pretty terrible. I've driven about 3 hours today, and have had to take over dozens of times. Getting confused crossing an intersection I understand, but veering off for no reason, on a straight road with lines, just makes me nervous. I had great luck using the highway auto-steer, but this local one is not safe. I'm confident it would have crashed 5+ times if I hadn't taken over.
It's not just you. The more I use it around town the more I notice how awful it is. It clearly gets confused when crossing short sections of road without marking (cross turning sections). It jerked me over halfway into the adjacent lane this morning because it lost its bearing on the road markings. The curvy road leading into my town is disastrous for AP2. It doesn't even see the road direction clearly.

Maybe it's the AI that's training the user? You're being trained to keep vigilant at all times and your hands on the wheel. ;)

Last edited:
I drove on an unmarked road with center dotted line very faded and my MX did pretty good and then I took it to a curvy road with hills pretty good marked it was loosing track on sharp curves but did pretty good on marked straight road but got lost where ther road was not marked . Over all I would give it a B grade.

Reactions: 1 person
Here on the suburban streets around Houston, the local street auto steer has worked for me more often as not. I have had to take over in some intersections but others it handles fine. I've never had it pull me out of the line outside of a big curve. Straight roads and small curves mostly work.

I'm only trying it on multilane curbed roads.

I got the update on Saturday and installed it. Tried out local street Autosteer with half-decent results on the local roads in my neighborhood. Drove the same roads again on Sunday and today but I no longer get the Autosteer icon. It's as if my software went back to the previous version that didn't have local street Autosteer functionality. Any suggestions?

I do have a question --- For folks that say Autosteer took them completely out of lane or almost crashed... were you actually holding the wheel as you are supposed to? Seeing as though we are bombarded with disclaimer after disclaimer about this being a beta, I hold the wheel in a way where if the wheel turns too much more than I would have turned it while driving my grip overrides the Autosteer and disengages auto pilot. I steady the vehicle and turn it back on when it seems safe enough to get back to work.

It's almost as if people don't understand the current limitations/expectactions.

Reactions: wesley888
I hold the wheel in a way where if the wheel turns too much more than I would have turned it while driving my grip overrides the Autosteer and disengages auto pilot.

Nice! I thought it was just me. :) I do exactly that. I pretend to drive the car myself and do all the hand movement that if I were to drive the car. Anything that it doesn't agree with what I usually do, it get disengaged.

Traffic Circles and 17.7.2 - uh, not good..... steers hard to the left into the center of the circle..... and I agree that you have to use "force" to turn the wheel to take over from the autosteer - it has to be a definitive action.. I am ok with that... Conversely, if I just tap the steering wheel to the music, I do not get the prompt.

I have a traffic circle on my way to and from work and it does not handle at all well.. Again I understand it beta.. and I am testing it... and each time I enter the traffic circle it the car performs the same way....

What is the definition of Insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome - especially with software.... maybe we should define Ludicrous as our expectations expecting all to be fixed in the next release.. Just a joke and a play on words...

It is still a fascinating machine/software versus real-world experience...

Reactions: Tomnook
Nice! I thought it was just me. :) I do exactly that. I pretend to drive the car myself and do all the hand movement that if I were to drive the car. Anything that it doesn't agree with what I usually do, it get disengaged.
In addition, I find it useful to apply a bit of tension on the wheel in the opposite direction of where the car shouldn't go (e.g. if there's a car on your right side or a curve towards the left ahead, put a bit of pressure to the left).

That way, the moment the car starts making a mistake, it immediately disengages without moving towards the danger zone.