Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 update 17.7.2 new Autopark and Local autosteer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Traffic Circles and 17.7.2 - uh, not good..... steers hard to the left into the center of the circle..... and I agree that you have to use "force" to turn the wheel to take over from the autosteer - it has to be a definitive action.. I am ok with that... Conversely, if I just tap the steering wheel to the music, I do not get the prompt.

I have a traffic circle on my way to and from work and it does not handle at all well.. Again I understand it beta.. and I am testing it... and each time I enter the traffic circle it the car performs the same way....

What is the definition of Insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome - especially with software.... maybe we should define Ludicrous as our expectations expecting all to be fixed in the next release.. Just a joke and a play on words...

It is still a fascinating machine/software versus real-world experience...
May I suggest installing one of these on your dash over the steering wheel? I'll give a "Love" rating on the first post with one of these birds on a Tesla dash. :)
BEBN-duncan-the-drinking-bird-outbox-web.jpg

Reactions: RR Runabout
Autosteer on internal roads is dangerous right now. In my limited testing, it veered off-lane on almost every intersection, tends to ignore bike lanes, touched the right curb once and drove on the wrong side of the street for about 100 yards before I disengaged autosteer.

In addition, I find it useful to apply a bit of tension on the wheel in the opposite direction of where the car shouldn't go (e.g. if there's a car on your right side or a curve towards the left ahead, put a bit of pressure to the left).

That way, the moment the car starts making a mistake, it immediately disengages without moving towards the danger zone.

Might as well just drive normally.

Autosteer took me into on coming traffic, jerking back and forth in my lane, and almost veered into the curb before I took over. Nothing like the video Tesla posted.

Autosteer on local roads is pretty awful for me. It seems to drive way too close to the cars that are parked along the curb. On our street with no lane markings it prefers to drive on the wrong side but maybe that's expected behavior since it can't find any lines. It's pretty great on the freeway except when the lane comes to a Y-junction. In this instance it heads straight for the dividing pillar. Good times.

I'm assuming that in the future it will make a choice based on a route being navigated but I'd hate to have to navigate the 5 mile trip from home to work every day.

The current AP2.0 autosteer is only capable to follow lanes with clear lines on both sides. If you have a parked vehicle on the right side of the road, anything broken lane markings. The autosteer will send you to heaven.

The current AP2.0 autosteer is only capable to follow lanes with clear lines on both sides. If you have a parked vehicle on the right side of the road, anything broken lane markings. The autosteer will send you to heaven.
I did notice that a curb on the right is sensed as if it's the right line, and then the car centers between left line and right curb. My AP1 car did not do this I think. I'm not recommending anybody do this, I'm just exploring how AP2 differs and is developing this last week since auto-steer became available.

I've been trying 17.7.2 on a brand new AP2 MX in San Francisco and it's essentially useless. I'm tempted to see if it will actually sideswipe a parked vehicle, but every time it gets close enough to do so, I, umm, chicken out of that test. Bing bong it is.

Has anyone actually seen it get crazy close and then correct itself? Or, perhaps more interestingly, has anyone actually crashed? Today, the vehicle drove me onto the shoulder between a car and a construction wall on 3rd Street. That was awesome. The other drivers thought I was drunk.

I have also never seen an Autopark indicator of any sort, ever. User error? Or have others simply not had it offered? (There's no calibration period, right?)

Has anyone actually seen it get crazy close and then correct itself? Or, perhaps more interestingly, has anyone actually crashed? Today, the vehicle drove me onto the shoulder between a car and a construction wall on 3rd Street. That was awesome. The other drivers thought I was drunk.
The internets have been buzzing with the following captured from a dash cam. See full video here.
5MwSaYp.gif

Can anyone answer as to why I have to press the gas pedal once I come to a complete stop, in traffic, while using autopilot? However, if you simply use TACC and come to a complete stop (even for a few moments, like at a red light) when the chase car starts to move so do you.

Yesterday, I received my Model S P100D. It's got version 8 (17.5.28) and I've got the iPhone app v 3.0. I've only got 47 miles on it at this point, but "Summon" does not appear on the iPhone app, and "Summon" does not appear under Settings in the car. When does the "Summon" option appear?

Yesterday, I received my Model S P100D. It's got version 8 (17.5.28) and I've got the iPhone app v 3.0. I've only got 47 miles on it at this point, but "Summon" does not appear on the iPhone app, and "Summon" does not appear under Settings in the car. When does the "Summon" option appear?

Summon is not yet active for new cars (with HW2). When it will be activated is unknown, but we just had auto (parallel) park activated on the last update, so hopefully before long.

Where is the driver!?!?!?, I want to hear from them on what happened.
I don't know what version of AP he was running, but I'm guessing he had AP1.0. I think it was in <strike>Germany</strike> Texas, and apparently there was construction signs and the lane he was in was ending (look closing and you can see that).

Basically, the driver wasn't paying close enough attention and shouldn't have been using AutoPilot in this scenario. Not only were there barriers set up to close the lane, but the original lane markings were still present and aimed right into the barrier. AP primarily uses the lane markings, so you can't blame it for what happened.

Current versions of AP2.0 may have done worse, but I suspect it would have reacted in the same way in this circumstance.

Last edited: