TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

AP2 Video - another scary moment...

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Swift, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Swift

Swift Member

Been frequently crossing the double yellow and going for guardrails. Here's one of today's scary moments at around 20mph.

• Informative x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  2. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Yes, it just isn't ready yet - especially for "tight" corners (although that one wasn't too bad IMO). Looking forward to 8.1 this week!

• Like x 1
  3. Shateam

Shateam Member

Not sure I would classify that as a scary moment as you were going 20 MPH and had plenty of time to react.

Having said that though, AP2 clearly has plenty of room for improvement as others on the forum have articulated. Hopefully 8.1 can handle use cases such as those in your video.

4. Swift

Swift Member

It's happened at greater speeds and it's pretty scary/unsettling. That said, this is the only example I felt comfortable filming. That's why I kept it to 20. So I would have plenty of time to react.

More effort goes into AP2 on than with it off. AP2 is certainly not what I was led to believe it was (and would be by December) when I purchased the car. Feel really bad for those leasing with AP2.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. DougH

DougH Active Member

#5 DougH, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Do people actually use AP 1 or 2 on city/side streets or roads?. I only use AP on an Interstate (i5)

Next time film landscape so you get a wider view. Just turn your phone sideways.

• Like x 2
  6. Swift

Swift Member

Plenty of videos of that on YouTube. Also, Tesla advertises such use.

Went portrait on this one to make sure I got the display too...

7. Haxster

Haxster Member

And even more scary if there were oncoming vehicles …:eek:

• Like x 1
  8. swengl

swengl Member

I use TACC in just about any traffic and I will engage AP1 where it feels appropriate, but I'm always ready to take over. Even TACC has some instances where it doesn't perform well (coming around blind curves and of course stop lights). It is still a work in progress, but as long as Tesla continues to make good progress, we will get to full autonomy eventually.

• Like x 1
  9. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Wow. I use AP1 around town all the time and it takes a curve like that with no issue. Especially at slow speeds.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  10. anonim1979

anonim1979 Member

Zoom out.
    And we will see the display no problem.

11. Swift

Swift Member

That's the point. I wasn't zoomed in.

12. anonim1979

anonim1979 Member

/jking
    Recorded with a Potato? :p

13. DougH

DougH Active Member

So it's not really a "scary moment" since you intentionally filmed it. :rolleyes:

• Disagree x 1
  14. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

It saw the snow as an object.. ee gads

15. Swift

Swift Member

Yup went back and filmed it after the actual scary moment at the higher speed.

16. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

I don't think "snow" constitutes a valid right-hand lane marker. I find using AP1 on roads with no clear right lane delineation to be inconsistent.

• Like x 1
  17. Swift

Swift Member

It was doing fine with intermittent snow up until the turn. Also, the double yellow couldn't be clearer. Watch the lines on the dash.

The bigger issue is how frequently it is happening. It's definitely disconcerting at higher/normal speeds.

Anyway, I'll go back when the snow is gone and film it again. Hopefully that will be next week and on 8.1.

18. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

But if the is no defined line there, it is picking out SOME feature to be the edge of the road. It hates to just go by the center line -- that's why it has such trouble at freeway exits -- the right lane marker moves away suddenly.

In this case, the snow suddenly appears and looks like a line moving in toward the path of the car. Then it actually moves over onto the road, then back then in again.

This is the type of road they say not to use AP on. Maybe when they get your AP2 fully functional, but right now they are struggling to get AP1 parity. AP1 couldn't handle that road.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  19. Swift

Swift Member

Where does it say we shouldn't use AP on these types of roads? There are plenty of AP1 videos successfully navigating them. I'll redo the video when the rest of the snow melts. I'm sure the result will be the same. Regardless, AP2 is still pretty dangerous even on roads that have a clear yellow on the left and white on the right.

I agree with you that it seems to be quite the struggle to get AP2 going. Switching AP partners was a really big deal. I don't think they thought that all the way through. At a minimum, the sales and marketing teams didn't seem to have gotten full disclosure on that. At least not when I bought...

20. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Owner's manual?

"Warning: Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver... Do not use Autosteer on city streets, in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present. Never depend on Autosteer to determine an appropriate driving path"

"Note: To initiate Autosteer, you must be driving at least 5 mph (8 km/h) on a roadway with visible lane markings"

"Note: In most cases, Autosteer attempts to center Model S in the driving lane. However, if the sensors detect the presence of an obstacle (such as a vehicle or guard rail), Autosteer may steer Model S in a driving path that is offset from the center of the lane."

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1