Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 vs AP2.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is suspect they are using the 2nd “unused” Parker chip to provide dedicated video processing/compression for the dash-cam. No enough extra processing power available in the AP2.0 boards... Just a guess.
AP 2.5 has different cameras that do all colors. AP 2 cameras don't have all colors. It's possible they could enable the dash cam for AP2 but the color in the videos would look odd. To avoid having a lot of owners complaining about the of colors and asking for a replacement, maybe they just decided not to enable it for AP2.
Ok. Million dollar question that has probably been answered a bunch of times.

I bought a car with Enhanced Autopilot. How do I know if it is AP2 or AP 2.5.

I am asking this because I am not sure if I can completely trust what they told me at the time of sale.

It is a 2017 S90D if that helps
Being an S90D, I would guess it was made in the first half of the year and is likely AP2. If it was made after July, then it could be AP2.5 as they started using that hardware then.

Ok. Million dollar question that has probably been answered a bunch of times.

I bought a car with Enhanced Autopilot. How do I know if it is AP2 or AP 2.5.

I am asking this because I am not sure if I can completely trust what they told me at the time of sale.

It is a 2017 S90D if that helps

My S75 was made August 2017. I’m able to use the dash cam mod, so it must be 2.5. That seems like the easiest way to verify.

This may be a dumb question but I'm going to post it anyway. :D
I keep hearing that it will be possible to have the car drive up to me. Meaning, Im at the mall and it rains, I can get my parked car to come up to the entrance for me. Is this part of FSD?

This may be a dumb question but I'm going to post it anyway. :D
I keep hearing that it will be possible to have the car drive up to me. Meaning, Im at the mall and it rains, I can get my parked car to come up to the entrance for me. Is this part of FSD?

Definitely not yet. I believe it was part of what Elon originally used to sell what the car could do on AP1. Might be wrong on that. I believe it is widely assumed to be a completely hollow promise by now. A standard Elon over promise and under deliver. I think it is best to just assume it is something your car will never be able to do until you actually see someone do it. I do believe it will happen eventually (and maybe not that far in the future), but I also believe there is no way the Tesla I currently own will ever be able to.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Further, we AP2.0 owners who were told at the time that purchasing FSD would enable FSD at a later date were also told that MCU2 would be retrofittable to MCU1 and that turned out to be a lie. Which means that already our 1.5 year old cars can't make use of the dashcam functionality or one of the easter eggs and who knows what else to come.

Basically, it's another class action in the making. I've asked multiple times about the MCU2 retrofit and the answer is the same each time. On the other hand, the same people didn't know that the new fobs were available for all cars prior to June 2018, so who knows for sure.

My expectation as an AP2.0 owner is that I will get an AP3 board swap sometime this year. I expect the weak link to be MCU2 and whatever other AP2.5 enhancements there were.

And I'm not happy about it.

The next shoe to drop will be that Supercharger v3 speeds will only be available to some recent subset of cars.

I'm done buying cars based upon promises that not only don't materialize for years - they don't materialize period *after being made*.

Bruce's advice above is solid - buy what you can verify today. I would add thereto to spend as little money as possible for a chariot (e.g., with AP1 for about $40K including an ESA and the bonus of RWD for the full-sized frunk) to get you through the next 3 years.

Then in 3 years after AP3 and SC v3 and some modicum of FSD functionality (e.g, reacting to a stop sign as we were told to expect in the 12/2016 video) have had some time to mature, THEN load up with a new Tesla which for all we know by then will be available on a subscription basis, and enjoy the heck out of it.

Good luck - get in now for as little coin as possible and enjoy the ride. Consider all promises made to be worthless until realized.
So much THIS

Definitely not yet. I believe it was part of what Elon originally used to sell what the car could do on AP1. Might be wrong on that. I believe it is widely assumed to be a completely hollow promise by now. A standard Elon over promise and under deliver. I think it is best to just assume it is something your car will never be able to do until you actually see someone do it. I do believe it will happen eventually (and maybe not that far in the future), but I also believe there is no way the Tesla I currently own will ever be able to.
Saw this on Tesla website about the summon. How true is this?

Attachments

• ECDC689E-299E-4B49-B227-CDF14AD8D606.jpeg
    ECDC689E-299E-4B49-B227-CDF14AD8D606.jpeg
    383.4 KB · Views: 96
Is “Enhanced AP” the AP 2.5? Or is it AP2?
Neither. It's really when you bought the car. They used to have EAP and FSD. EAP spanned across both 2 and 2.5 but they started calling it just AP at some point right before HW3 (technically HW4) got released and then the "enhanced" was dropped. Enhanced folks have nav on AP and summon. That's the difference. Non enhanced folks have to buy FSD to get those two features. It's just a (IMO) crappy move Tesla made to get ppl to spend the extra $ for FSD. However, if I'm not mistaken the cost to buy both is the same either way. EAP folks paid 5k for that where as AP folks paid 3k. EAP folks will pay 5k for FSD where as AP folks will pay 7k for FSD.

YES it's confusing as hell